Points on your licence?

Tom McB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 in '92 for careless and 3 in '98 for speeding.

Dodged a lot though through luck/police incompetence , and took the hit in running with no mot for a few months as I knew it would be a fine and not points.

Licence itself is still paper one and 15 years out of date address wise, so don't know if that would be a points thing.

£2000 fine I'm sure it is.

Not picked up any yet. Although I'm beginning to do a lot of miles and I've no doubt I'll pick some up at some point. Not that I go too fast, probably just enough occasionally to pull me.

What's the stipulation for the points coming off, is it after a set amount of years or something?

You must have your present address on your licence and it has to be renewed every ten years.

Not if you had a paper one before the plastic ones came in. They last till you're 70. You are supposed to let them know if you change address though.

Not picked up any yet. Although I'm beginning to do a lot of miles and I've no doubt I'll pick some up at some point. Not that I go too fast, probably just enough occasionally to pull me.

What's the stipulation for the points coming off, is it after a set amount of years or something?

After four years they come off.

£2000 fine I'm sure it is.

Good luck was that :)

Not if you had a paper one before the plastic ones came in. They last till you're 70. You are supposed to let them know if you change address though.

The piggies do mention it every time they pull me, but I have the feeling they know the paperwork would be horrendous.

3 in '92 for careless and 3 in '98 for speeding.

Dodged a lot though through luck/police incompetence , and took the hit in running with no mot for a few months as I knew it would be a fine and not points.

Licence itself is still paper one and 15 years out of date address wise, so don't know if that would be a points thing.

Driving without a valid MOT also invalidates your insurance.

Comparing my speedo and satnav my real speed is about 3-5 mph less than than the speedo. And you're generally allowed about 10% over by the cops. So going 80 in a 70 should be perfectly safe, and a traffic cop told me they don't do people at 79, but they do at 80. Since I've already got 6 points I stick to 75 just in case.

It's a shame you never got done for it.

I did.

£60 fine as advertised iirc........

And may have fought it 'if' the cunto pushed it.

Would've lost no doubt, but it would've cost them more in £££ and keeping a PC off the street for a day, so worth it IMO....

Bravo to you.Seriously.

I didn't get my licence 'til I was 26. At that age one drives with one's brain.

17 year old boys drive with their 'nads.

I was 22 when I passed my test (at the third attempt!), so was probably half sensible. And don't forget for about 20 years after I passed the test, the police had weightier matters to consider than speeding drivers/drunk drivers/uninsured drivers/unliscenced drivers etc. That's not to say that if you were stopped at a police check and were over the limit/no insurance/no licence you wouldn't have been charged, and there were road traffic police on the go, too, as far as I remember..

I haven't an entirely unblemished record - I got fined for speeding at the time of the first IRA cease fire - I was caught going through Swatragh, a village where you never saw the police unless they were accompanied by a platoon of soldiers. They must have made a fortune that night.

I also got a fine for not having a valid MOT a few years back, but, so far, no points.

I've been banned and had all sorts of points. Most of these were when I was younger and an idiot. My ban was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Doing 86 in a 70 = 3 points

Doing 42 in a 30 = 3 points

Doing 64 in a 30 = Banned

Then, after my ban (in about 6 years):

79 in a 70 (coming back from Tannadice)

62 in a 50 (when the M74 extension opened and to be fair I thought I was in a 60).

Terrible record.

None so far, had my licence almost 7 years.

I did get fined £30 for driving through a bus gate not long after I moved down here. Annoying as I didn't really know the roads, but I could have no complaints. I knew what I'd done but it was too late - a taxi pulled up behind me at the traffic lights so I couldn't reverse back and prevent the fine.

Been driving since 2004, all i have had was 3 points in 2009 on great western road doing about 40 in a 30. Pretty sure they're wiped by now but i don't have a car just now

Got done for not wearing my seat belt and it was 60 pound fine

Been over the limit once or twice of which I'm ashamed of but never got caught

I have not been given any points since starting to drive 12 years ago, don't intend to get any in the near future either. Suprised actually as i tend to speed a bit. Not even had a parking fine or and sort of motoring fine.

My dad has been driving for nearly 50 years and has not had a motoring fine or a single point in all that time, but the number of parking fines is another matter, at one point it was one a month a few years back.

Archived