Points on your licence?

Tom McB

It's up to you. If you had a crash could it not affect any claim if you didn't disclose points etc?

I've got 3 myself, caught doing 87 just outside Inverness. That was back in 2011 though.

I don't know.

I certainly wouldn't have lied about it when I renewed - but I don't remember being asked.

Does it count as the old 'have any of your details changed recently'?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know.

I certainly wouldn't have lied about it when I renewed - but I don't remember being asked.

Does it count as the old 'have any of your details changed recently'?

Yes, afaik.

I don't think I informed my insurance company after getting my points (the last points I got were about 18 months ago).

Do they have access to that info or is it up to me?

Yes they have access! Better to tell them than to have a potential insurance cancellation hanging over you.

I have 0 points after 6 years driving.

Yes they have access! Better to tell them than to have a potential insurance cancellation hanging over you.

I have 0 points after 6 years driving.

If they have access then surely that's been taken into account? I certainly wouldn't have tried to hide it but I don't remember telling them and my renewal saved me a bit of money - rather than it going up.

If they have access then surely that's been taken into account? I certainly wouldn't have tried to hide it but I don't remember telling them and my renewal saved me a bit of money - rather than it going up.

They don't check every single policy that renews. They rely on you to tell them of any changes between each renewal, which is a condition of the policy.

Been caught twice on my phone which was 3 points each time and a fine, can't remember how much though. First time I was blatantly on my phone, the second time I was parked up at a junction just off duke street. Police said I was too close to the junction to be classed as parked up. They were a pair of c***s.

Got 3 of the points off last May and the other 3 due off in match. Was looking forward to a clean license, until I got done speeding en route to Manchester airport last month. Another 3 points and £100 fine.

Current total 6 points, although 3 come off in march.

Nah, you need to inform them. Won 3 points in January so checked up to see if I should tell them or just let it slide. If you don't tell them and make a claim, your insurance would be void. My renewal price went up by £600, couldn't believe it. But when i put my details - incl. 3 points - in as a 'new' customer I was quoted £400, £200 less than last years.

They'll only check if you have a claim as it gives them the right to say, oops sorry sir, no dosh for you.

Clarkson claims it's his first points in over 30 years. :o

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/clarkson-gets-points-licence-095957028.html#tqc90pl

Not wishing to tempt the fates but i've had nul points on my licence since I got in in '79. Several slices of luck there to be honest. Who else can claim 10, 20, or more years points free. Are you are careful/lucky as JC or I?

I've had a licence since 1974, and been driving since then, and so far null points.

I don't think I informed my insurance company after getting my points (the last points I got were about 18 months ago).

Do they have access to that info or is it up to me?

Both.

They have access to the DVLA database and know undeclared points is enough to write off the policy.

They'll happily take your money until you have a claim though, then tell you you weren't insured.

Unlike any other contract, insurance is based on 'utmost good faith'. Technically you're supposed to inform the insurance company of anything which might affect the risk they are underwriting. In practice this doesn't work since you'd have to call them every time it started raining.

For things like points though, there's no grey area.

Personally I think that's dodgy as feck as both parties in a case like that should be guilty of fraud but the cops won't go after big companies.

Both.

They have access to the DVLA database and know undeclared points is enough to write off the policy.

They'll happily take your money until you have a claim though, then tell you you weren't insured.

Unlike any other contract, insurance is based on 'utmost good faith'. Technically you're supposed to inform the insurance company of anything which might affect the risk they are underwriting. In practice this doesn't work since you'd have to call them every time it started raining.

For things like points though, there's no grey area.

Personally I think that's dodgy as feck as both parties in a case like that should be guilty of fraud but the cops won't go after big companies.

I reckon this isn't entirely how it works.

You are suggesting that insurance companies know who has got points and yet keep that information to themselves in the hope that said drivers will have an accident and they'll then find out that their insurance has been invalidated?

Its all a bit tin foil hat this.

I've had a licence since 1974, and been driving since then, and so far null points.

Bravo to you.Seriously.

I didn't get my licence 'til I was 26. At that age one drives with one's brain.

17 year old boys drive with their 'nads.

I reckon this isn't entirely how it works.

You are suggesting that insurance companies know who has got points and yet keep that information to themselves in the hope that said drivers will have an accident and they'll then find out that their insurance has been invalidated?

Its all a bit tin foil hat this.

They don't know unless they check. Sometimes they do it randomly most times they do it after a claim is made.

3 in '92 for careless and 3 in '98 for speeding.

Dodged a lot though through luck/police incompetence , and took the hit in running with no mot for a few months as I knew it would be a fine and not points.

Licence itself is still paper one and 15 years out of date address wise, so don't know if that would be a points thing.

3 in '92 for careless and 3 in '98 for speeding.

Dodged a lot though through luck/police incompetence , and took the hit in running with no mot for a few months as I knew it would be a fine and not points.

Licence itself is still paper one and 15 years out of date address wise, so don't know if that would be a points thing.

You must have your present address on your licence and it has to be renewed every ten years.

*Is that someone at the door?*

Archived