The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

We usually don't get much rain in February but we've already had just under double the monthly average (15.4mm) and most of that in the last 24 hours (29mm). Although on Wednesday summer returns with a high of 40 then 3 days of 37. 

• 4 weeks later...
Amazing cloud formation in Adelaide today. It's reported as a perfectly formed anvil thunderstorm which hit the Barossa Valley wine growing region about 70kms north of the city.

40b1a07964a49dc15dd24bc857f61c92.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-02/perfect-anvil-thunderstorm-sparks-adelaide-interest/8319480

Run, run fast

IMG_1488453738.175996.jpg

I lived through the Great Perth Electrical Storm of 2017 last night. Severe thunder, lightning and rain - for that is what a storm is - from about 9pm til 5am this morning. Never heard thunder like it. The full house actually shook thrice times. Incredible scenes. 

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I lived through the Great Perth Electrical Storm of 2017 last night. Severe thunder, lightning and rain - for that is what a storm is - from about 9pm til 5am this morning. Never heard thunder like it. The full house actually shook thrice times. Incredible scenes. 

Image result for Frankie Howerd

• 4 weeks later...

Seen a bunch of stormchasers died in a car crash last night in Texas. Kelley Williamson was one, a guy if you follow any of the live streams of stormchases online you'll be familiar with. He does spotting for the Weather Channel as well.

A lot of people behaving like idiots in the chase game and putting their lives on the line just for the sake of seeing a tornado. Even worse when they can control their driving unlike the weather. 

Seen a bunch of stormchasers died in a car crash last night in Texas. Kelley Williamson was one, a guy if you follow any of the live streams of stormchases online you'll be familiar with. He does spotting for the Weather Channel as well.
A lot of people behaving like idiots in the chase game and putting their lives on the line just for the sake of seeing a tornado. Even worse when they can control their driving unlike the weather. 

I take it they caught the storm they were chasing then?

On 3/27/2017 at 12:02, Eednud said:

I live in Mackay, North Queensland. Thankfully, my house is still standing. We were a bit luckier than the poor b*****ds up at Airlie Beach and Bowen. Today is the first day in ages that we have no wind and rain. I've been able to get out and start to clean up a bit. There is still over 45% of Mackay without power and that included the water treatment plant. So we were told there was only 24 hours worth of clean water if they could not get power reconnected.  Thankfully they have power on now, but the river where they get our drinking water from is too dirty to use. Lots of trees down and still bad flooded areas around. This cyclone is not the first one I've been through, but It was the worse I've experienced. It was so fucking slow moving.

Edited by scotfree

• 1 month later...

What a heat up here in Inverness, 26c at 10am this morning, I can't remember those kind of temperatures that early in the day up here. Its been a very hot last three days but it looks set to break this afternoon. Seeing last night on the weather radar the sferics lined up moving from the south to north across the Western Isles. It already appears to be kicking off again, looks like the SE of England getting some thunder and lightning just now.

Heavy thundery showers predicted up here for the afternoon.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

Just got caught in a typhoon near Leeds and had to pull over as couldn't even see out the windscreen.

Don't worry about it, better keep one hand on the steering wheel while you're texting though, just in case.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

Just got caught in a typhoon near Leeds and had to pull over as couldn't even see out the windscreen.

Didn't realise Leeds was in the North Pacific.