The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Did a course last weekend and I'm now an official "storm watcher"! Which means I can look at the sky/clouds/storms and tell if there's rotation, if there looks like a funnel cloud and if there's a tornado touchdown. then I can all the weather service and they'll use that to issue any suitable warnings!

• 3 weeks later...

Relatively mental thunderstorm with tremendously large hailstones and f**k load of rain round my gaff on Saturday afternoon/evening:

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/-Auch-heute-werden-sich-wieder-die-Keller-fuellen--19420015

Pictures there are relatively tame, was like a scene from The Day After Tomorrow or some such Hollywood Blockbuster when me and the missus went grief touristing after the event. The picture of the road tunnel(Number 3 of 18) probably gives the best idea of how much rain fell. That tunnel is about 4 meters high, 50 meters long and spans 3 lanes of traffic.

The mental jaggy thunder was amazing last night in Cologne, was really close too. Too busy enjoying it to attempt to capture a picture, but it was so bright you could shut your eyes, face the other way and it'd still be blinding.

16 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The mental jaggy thunder was amazing last night in Cologne, was really close too. Too busy enjoying it to attempt to capture a picture, but it was so bright you could shut your eyes, face the other way and it'd still be blinding.

Get used to that in the summer. It's the same here. Generally a few weeks of good weather then a few days of heavy storms. Rinse and repeat from Early June until the end of August.

21 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Just mind and not use a selfie stick.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/man-who-was-struck-and-killed-by-lightning-in-brecon-beacons-was-carrying-a-selfie-stick-10370907.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CityDave said:

Irma now a Category 5 Hurricane

Pray for the wheelie bins of Puerto Rico.

What kind of fucking name is Irma for anything, let alone a hurricane?

Next Scottish one should be called Yerma.