Internet trolls face two years in prison

ICTChris

I think that due to online gaming and stuff that rape threats are so common and benign, that most people are completely desensitised to it. For someone not used to it, it could be pretty traumatic.

Agreed and it shouldn't be tolerated in these EXCEPTIONAL circumstances. Politicians using it to pursue agendas for suppressing contrary viewpoints has dangerous consequences

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where as threatening or abusing someone under your real name is honourable?!

not at all, it is more the fact that many of the things that are said on social media about someone, would not be said in a face to face situation, it is more the hiding behind an "alias"

not at all, it is more the fact that many of the things that are said on social media about someone, would not be said in a face to face situation, it is more the hiding behind an "alias"

I know mate.....I was just being a touch pedantic about your post.

<<<

Internet bully.

Then what is the problem?

The problem is that this law risks censoring free speech by covering communications that aren't actually threatening.

There is plenty of content on the internet that may offend people, and people can easily 'troll' by posting inflammatory remarks. Indeed, we've had people jailed already for posting things that, whilst sick, aren't threatening anyone. Free speech can often be unpleasant, but it's better than the alternative.

I'm all in favour of prosecuting those who communicate threats. However, we seem to have this odd situation where doing so on the internet is 'trolling' - it isn't. There are many internet 'trolls' out there who aren't threatening anyone, yet could potentially be hauled into the courts under these proposed laws. That isn't right.

One thing that annoys me about abuse is that suddenly it becomes ten times worse if you add a bigoted slur.

Surely being called a name is just as offensive as being called the same name and adding a colour?

I experienced workplace bullying and there's zero protection unless you are a minority, gay or disabled.

Why is this? Sorry if I'm going off at a tangent but I feel it's relevant to internet trolling.

You could call someone on here an arse dozens of times and get away with it but then add p@@f or black and suddenly it's a potential lawsuit?

I'm not saying any bigotry is ok, far from it, but surely any abuse that causes harm isn't cool? It's one of the reasons morons vote for the BNP or UKIP.

One thing that annoys me about abuse is that suddenly it becomes ten times worse if you add a bigoted slur.

Surely being called a name is just as offensive as being called the same name and adding a colour?

I experienced workplace bullying and there's zero protection unless you are a minority, gay or disabled.

Why is this? Sorry if I'm going off at a tangent but I feel it's relevant to internet trolling.

You could call someone on here an arse dozens of times and get away with it but then add p@@f or black and suddenly it's a potential lawsuit?

I'm not saying any bigotry is ok, far from it, but surely any abuse that causes harm isn't cool? It's one of the reasons morons vote for the BNP or UKIP.

The theory is that attacking people because of their race and sexuality had been something that is society wide and partially instigated by the less responsible elements of the press. There was (and still is) deep seated prejudice towards people because of their ethnicity or choice of sexual partner so they would not only be getting it at one job, but on the bus home, in the pub, at football matches and so on. For many people low level discrimination was something pervasive they had to endure everywhere outside of their homes.

You can argue this is no longer the case, but I think there the situation in the country just a few years ago justified the extra legal protection to try to stamp it out.

Amongst various online spats, was a facebook one.

My, well, "politics" are well known at work, and an ex sodj I had worked with for 2 years sent me a friend request.

Nae worry I thought, as not all of the wankers are of the same ilk and he does know me.

Cue 5 posts on the various fallen from various countries in Iraq/Afghanistan.

He deleted me inside 2 mins, but hell yeah, what I posted would have been 2 years worth of jail time.

My point is, his 5 posts were insulting beyond belief to me. Yet under the Law I would be the cunto.

I think the maddeline mcann case sums this topic up perfectly. Gerry mcann left his daughter unattended in a foreign hotel room, to this day he has never been charged for his negligence but he would like anybody who trolls him on the internet charged. Mental

Archived