Internet trolls face two years in prison

ICTChris

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/threatening-behaviour.pdf

Max sentence for threatening someone in person is 6 months.

This sounds like a law designed to make famous people have more rights than everyone else.

I.e the politicians want more protection from the types of threatrs they might get, no matter how unrealistic they are but couldn't care less about the public in general.

It IS the same on twitter.

The problem is you only get 6 months MAXIMUM and yet we know already that several people have committed suicide after being on the receiving end of it.

The new 2 year limit is very welcome.

We also need to educate people that you are NEVER anonymous when you post trolling comments.

I don't think trollers have the intelligence to realise that.

I would like to know what part of making rape threats you consider as being simply "rude".

Ever heard of TOR?

Yes.

It's freely available software which will almost certainly be full of bugs (as ALL software is).

You can be pretty sure the security services in this country will already know how to break it.

I'm pretty sure they can't.

However even if they could, I'm 100% positive that they'd never publicise the fact they could hack TOR just to prosecute an internet troll.

Quit being so paranoid.

Yes.

It's freely available software which will almost certainly be full of bugs (as ALL software is).

You can be pretty sure the security services in this country will already know how to break it.

I think you give these people who work for the secret services more credit than they deserve. They're not James Bond's; they are more Johnny English.

What would be classed as a "troll" under this new law that isn't already covered?

Don't worry, your posts about Balotelli are exempt due to severe lack of success.

It IS the same on twitter.

The problem is you only get 6 months MAXIMUM and yet we know already that several people have committed suicide after being on the receiving end of it.

The new 2 year limit is very welcome.

We also need to educate people that you are NEVER anonymous when you post trolling comments.

I don't think trollers have the intelligence to realise that.

I would like to know what part of making rape threats you consider as being simply "rude".

What about the nurse that committed suicide after a prank phone call from Aussie DJs?

Should they be jailed?

Archived