Internet trolls face two years in prison

ICTChris

Great news as people being rude on the internet will soon be able to be sentenced to longer prison terms than many people guilty of violent crimes. This certainly makes me feel safer and reassures me that our glorious rulers take freedom of speech seriously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

Any P&Bers ever trolled so hard they be jailin'?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once started a thread about Paul Hartley and it wound up St Mirren fans. Gosh I was such a #lad back then.

Sent from my smuggled iPhone v2 in Barlinnie, Glasgow

I once started a thread about Paul Hartley and it wound up St Mirren fans. Gosh I was such a #lad back then.

Sent from my smuggled iPhone v2 in Barlinnie, Glasgow

Have a greenie.

We have trolls going online and threatening to rape and murder people on their twitter accounts.

You reckon that freedom of speech is the priority in those situations?

I think he was trying to suggest that people guilty of actual violent crimes should be sentenced a tad more harshly than a bunch of keyboard warriors who probably never leave their mummy's houses.

Trolls are used as an excuse to prevent arguments being heard. Stella Creasy used an extreme example which she rightly reported but then used it as an excuse to have laws changed. it's dangerous because it'll affect free speech which is ironic considering her odious party is meant to protect free speech.

Although that doesn't affect her pushing her quotas system and also shouting people down when she clearly is incapable of conducting an argument

We have trolls going online and threatening to rape and murder people on their twitter accounts.

You reckon that freedom of speech is the priority in those situations?

Threatening people is a crime already. If I wrote you a letter threatening to kill you I'd be prosecuted, it should be the same on Twitter.

Great news as people being rude on the internet will soon be able to be sentenced to longer prison terms than many people guilty of violent crimes. This certainly makes me feel safer and reassures me that our glorious rulers take freedom of speech seriously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

Any P&Bers ever trolled so hard they be jailin'?

Is this why you've been feeling like shite?

It IS the same on twitter.

The problem is you only get 6 months MAXIMUM and yet we know already that several people have committed suicide after being on the receiving end of it.

The new 2 year limit is very welcome.

We also need to educate people that you are NEVER anonymous when you post trolling comments.

I don't think trollers have the intelligence to realise that.

I would like to know what part of making rape threats you consider as being simply "rude".

I think that due to online gaming and stuff that rape threats are so common and benign, that most people are completely desensitised to it. For someone not used to it, it could be pretty traumatic.

Archived