How much do you care about the SPL?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's still predictable because we all still know Celtic are going to win it.

On the other side of the coin its less predictable as you have eleven similar sides fighting for spots instead of ten. Any one of the eleven could be relegated while any one of the eleven could finish second. You're clearly trying to make some form of point though.

On the other side of the coin its less predictable as you have eleven similar sides fighting for spots instead of ten. Any one of the eleven could be relegated while any one of the eleven could finish second. You're clearly trying to make some form of point though.

My point is,it's still predictable who's going to win the top league no matter what way you look at it.

My point is,it's still predictable who's going to win the top league no matter what way you look at it.

Obviously yes, but thats not the only thing teams are competing for is it. In terms of Europe, top six, and relegation, its less predictable. No?

Obviously yes, but thats not the only thing teams are competing for is it. In terms of Europe, top six, and relegation, its less predictable. No?

From an outsiders point of view, the relegation of 3 of the 5 big teams (okay one went bust) has been the most interesting thing to happen for a while. Certainly more interesting than whichever of the remaining teams has qualified for Europe and then promptly been humped out.

Hearts challenged the Old Firm almost right the way through the 1997-98 season.

Celtic won the title with 74 points, ending Rangers' chance of ten in a row, as they finished second with 72 points. Hearts finished third with 67 points but won the Scottish Cup.

If we had managed to beat both Celtic and Rangers in any of the matches we lost to them, we would have won the league.

Here's the VHS we released of that special season:

Funnily enough, Hibs also got relegated that year. :lol:

Only in the minds of Hearts fans did they put in a credible challenge. It was always one of the OF who would win it.

Last time Hearts put in a credible challenge was 1986.

From an outsiders point of view, the relegation of 3 of the 5 big teams (okay one went bust) has been the most interesting thing to happen for a while. Certainly more interesting than whichever of the remaining teams has qualified for Europe and then promptly been humped out.

Well yeah obviously, if you're not in the league then you don't focus on anything other than who's top and who's bottom. Doesn't really change the point about predictability though

Only in the minds of Hearts fans did they put in a credible challenge. It was always one of the OF who would win it.

Last time Hearts put in a credible challenge was 1986.

Oh dear. In April, Hearts were only two points behind Celtic with six games left and in those six games we finally ran out of steam, winning just once.

Outwith 1986 and 1991, it's the closest a non Old Firm side has come to breaking the duopoly. With more stability things could have been different for Hearts in 2006, but we'll never know now.

We were absolutely in the title race in the 1997-98 season. You are very much mistaken here.

It's gone from a two horse race, to a one horse stroll.

Which holds precisely the same level of interest for me as did the two horse version - ie. none whatsoever.

For me, a club I hate will win the title, but that's been the case for thirty years, so nothing has changed. There is now at least a genuine battle for second, as opposed to third, so that's good.

And relegation is better now with the introduction of play-offs, so it has much more interest for me, than it used to.

Oh dear. In April, Hearts were only two points behind Celtic with six games left and in those six games we finally ran out of steam, winning just once.

Outwith 1986 and 1991, it's the closest a non Old Firm side has come to breaking the duopoly. With more stability things could have been different for Hearts in 2006, but we'll never know now.

We were absolutely in the title race in the 1997-98 season. You are very much mistaken here.

Sorry, but I don't recall Hearts title challenge that year.

I keep an eye on it until Celtic hit top spot then pretty much just look at it to see how the relegation battle is unfolding. Was talking to a pal yesterday about how the top league holds no great attraction for me at the moment. I'd prefer to be in the Championship this season

It's been fantastic this season. All teams capable of beating everyone else, including Celtic, Hamilton sitting top after ten games and lots of young players getting their chance. It isn't the biggest or best league in the world, but it is a competitive one and that's all you can ask for. I still expect Celtic to win by a distance but it's been great so far.

It would obviously be better if hearts were there too but can't have everything

the top 2 leagues are more interesting this season because of the rangers, hearts and hibs appearance in the 2nd tier. it gives other clubs a chance in the top league for a bit of limelight/glory and of course the novelty for most 2nd tier clubs of playing in the same league as these 3. point is it has created new, fresh situations which creates more interest. this highlights how stale scottish football can usually be with playing each other 4 times a season plus potentially in the cups. at least the recently introduced play offs has helped.

a successful national team would also be a novelty this century and would boost interest further.

the longer celtic are kept from the top the better for the league.

I have to admit though to paying a lot more attention to it in the last two or three seasons. Partly thats because its less predictable and more interesting.

I wouldn't call it unpredictable, I think we all know who'll lift the trophy this season. Although I'll admit Hamilton have had one hell of a start.

My Club have competed in the top flight since 1905 so I've always tended to take an interest in it.

We finished bottom in 2000 but we were far, far too Famous to let slide into the Diddy Leagues so we were spared relegation.

Archived