Top 5 places you'd like to visit...

Confidemus

What's the point in going halfway around the world to look at a huge mountain?

I would like to go to every eastern block country only because it's near by the weather suits me, it's cheap.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 - USA/Canada (been to Florida twice but would love to travel around both)

2 - Australia

3 - Japan

4.- New Zealand

5 - Mexico

I've been to USA, Denmark, Sweden and Austria mate already. 8)

In your list I've been to USA, Australia and New Zealand.

I went on holiday to Boston (sorry Baaaaastin) as a kid, but would like to travel around a lot more.

Having been to Oz I wouldn't rush back. I absolutely loved Melbourne and Adelaide was pleasant, but the way that there's this island bigger than Europe and the majority of the people are cramped up in about five places doesn't appeal. I got the bus from Melbourne to Adelaide because I'm a weirdo who likes long journeys as long as it's somewhere I've never been, and it was barren nothingness all the way apart from some of the most depressing wee tiny towns I've ever seen 100 miles from the next one. Total Hicksville.

NZ is pretty empty compared to here too (land mass bigger than Britain but population smaller than Scotland) but there's still so many wee gems to find everywhere. Any gems in Oz would require an internal flight and there'd be 3000 British backback wankers there already. Nah, f**k Australia, the people are nice but not for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Quite a few folk wanting to go to Greenland.  I looked at going quite recently and the prices are just extortionate.  There's no direct flights from Britain and you have you go via Iceland.  Now the flight from Scotland to Iceland was about £100 return as you'd expect but the flights from Reykjavik to Greenland were about £800 return!  The main airport in Greenland is in the middle of nowhere as well and you'd have to get another flight from there to the capital, Nuuk.  

• 2 weeks later...

St. Kilda - supposed to be going later this year

Great Barrier Island - Lived in NZ as a kid but was too young to appreciate it, this place looks ace

North Pole - It was one of the things I didn't do as a submariner although its more a tick off as the scenery would be pretty samey.

Venice - I love idea of the water city

Victoria Falls - Again, they just look so impressive. 

There are a ton of places that I'd still like to go but I've been lucky that I've ticked off some of the places I'd wanted to go to.

On 20/12/2017 at 18:03, Highland Capital said:

Quite a few folk wanting to go to Greenland.  I looked at going quite recently and the prices are just extortionate.  There's no direct flights from Britain and you have you go via Iceland.  Now the flight from Scotland to Iceland was about £100 return as you'd expect but the flights from Reykjavik to Greenland were about £800 return!  The main airport in Greenland is in the middle of nowhere as well and you'd have to get another flight from there to the capital, Nuuk.  

Looks like the cheapest way is via Copenhagen, £570 to Nuuk plus whatever it costs to get to Copenhagen. Greenland Air.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Looks like the cheapest way is via Copenhagen, £570 to Nuuk plus whatever it costs to get to Copenhagen. Greenland Air.

I saw that.  Still pretty extortionate for a country that's not *that* far away.

12 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I saw that.  Still pretty extortionate for a country that's not *that* far away.

My guess it's to cover the cost of keeping planes flying in the Greenland climate, you'd have thought Denmark would have subsidised it more though. Maybe the locals get subsidised fares like they do in the Scottish isles.

Archived