Alloa v Cowden

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've often said that I believe we were significantly better than Cowdenbeath last season in every area except attack. Our top scoring forward last season scored 5 goals. How many did Hemmings and Stewart get? Cowden had far superior attacking options to us and that's what left very little in it between the sides in the end.

Obviously those players are gone but with Alloa's defensive unit weakened by the loss of Scott Bain things are evened up a bit. We do have more of a threat up front than we did.

Ultimately I agree with printer that we are a better team but the fact is that our points tally doesn't reflect how well we have played and we need to change that. Playing nice stuff and getting plaudits is of very little use if we're 10th tomorrow night.

If the players need any further motivation they should recall the stuff peddled by some Cowden fans about Alloa playing anti football and this new one that Alloa only won at Central Park because Cowden weren't trying :) Mon the Wasps.

We've also got decent attacking options in again to replace Hemmings and Stewart. Of course the last time we played you your anti-football thugs took out our centre-forward which led to the substitution that caused our players not to try.

I've often said that I believe we were significantly better than Cowdenbeath last season in every area except attack. Our top scoring forward last season scored 5 goals. How many did Hemmings and Stewart get? Cowden had far superior attacking options to us and that's what left very little in it between the sides in the end.

Obviously those players are gone but with Alloa's defensive unit weakened by the loss of Scott Bain things are evened up a bit. We do have more of a threat up front than we did.

Ultimately I agree with printer that we are a better team but the fact is that our points tally doesn't reflect how well we have played and we need to change that. Playing nice stuff and getting plaudits is of very little use if we're 10th tomorrow night.

If the players need any further motivation they should recall the stuff peddled by some Cowden fans about Alloa playing anti football and this new one that Alloa only won at Central Park because Cowden weren't trying :) Mon the Wasps.

I genuinely disagree alloa are a better team than us. Can't say I am ever really impressed in recent times with alloa even though our head to head record is poor.

Dumbarton for example have genuinely really impressed me on occasion. Last seasons league table shows very little between us and this table is the same.

We have added 3 decent loans from celtic, rangers and dundee utd and if they play well you will be surprised.

Don't get this playing well talk either. Scoring goals is playing well, its the whole point of the game. On that theory, we were superb at dumbarton as we 'played really well' and missed loads of chances. Reality is we were wasteful so deserved what we got, only 1 point.

How will Cowden cope with the pitch?

Hopefully not very well. :P

Of course the last time we played you your anti-football thugs took out our centre-forward which led to the substitution that caused our players not to try.

I'm sure Simmy is already on top of this for tomorrow ;)

Alloa's should be due changing soon anyway..

Aye I think you laid your pitch the year after Stenny and they redone theirs in the summer. A bit off topic but does anyone know why Alloa didn't get rid of all the slope when they put the synthetic pitch down?

Aye I think you laid your pitch the year after Stenny and they redone theirs in the summer. A bit off topic but does anyone know why Alloa didn't get rid of all the slope when they put the synthetic pitch down?

As far as I was aware we had?

As far as I was aware we had?

Nah you can still see a bit of a slope it runs down towards the railway end.

Its not a dig by the way I was just wondering if there was a reason. I have actually been quite impressed at the amount of work Alloa have done redeveloping the Recs over the last decade.

Its not a dig by the way I was just wondering if there was a reason. I have actually been quite impressed at the amount of work Alloa have done redeveloping the Recs over the last decade.

I heard last week that the concrete underneath was sinking. Quite possible when we have had tractors and snow ploughs on the pitch.

I see, I see. We did remove quite a bit of it which is visible when you stand at the corner flag near the home turnstiles which has quite a drop to the pitch. That was pitch level when we had grass.

I see, I see. We did remove quite a bit of it which is visible when you stand at the corner flag near the home turnstiles which has quite a drop to the pitch. That was pitch level when we had grass.

Aye you really notice the change there as well its a fair drop. I take it there must be some reason for leaving a wee bit of the slope - could be for drainage reasons.

Aye you really notice the change there as well its a fair drop. I take it there must be some reason for leaving a wee bit of the slope - could be for drainage reasons.

Or advantage reasons, Andy?

The Recs is a great wee ground. Always liked it. When the fitba is terrible you can enjoy the view.

Or advantage reasons, Andy?

The Recs is a great wee ground. Always liked it. When the fitba is terrible you can enjoy the view.

That was another one that I thought of Ron, although if your playing the same opposition on a regular basis teams would get used to it anyway.

As you say if the games bad you can enjoy the view. Remember walking up the Ochils on a school trip back in the day really enjoyed it.

Don't get this playing well talk either. Scoring goals is playing well, its the whole point of the game. On that theory, we were superb at dumbarton as we 'played really well' and missed loads of chances. Reality is we were wasteful so deserved what we got, only 1 point.

I didn't say we deserved to get more than 7 points. By missing chances and then conceding stupid goals we ended up getting what we deserved. That doesn't mean though that we haven't played good football and competed well in most of the games.

Scoring goals and winning does not always equate to playing well either, it's possible to play well and lose and to play poorly and win, that's what happened in the Alloa Hearts game. All that said, I wouldn't be at all bothered if we are awful tomorrow and win.

Cowden- Alloa threads; always good for a laugh :P

Any news when you lads will be getting a decent new pitch? You passed Dunfermline off the park last season, so that ought to help with any 'unfair advantage' when coming to the Recs.

Anyway, let's hope both teams concentrate on getting these Franchise c***s relegated before the season's out. Peace!

Archived