Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

0-0 in the game last night versus Bohemians. Awful match with no real chances except for a late surge by the Flinta which produced a very good save from Bohemian's goalie late on. However, the point wasn't enough to keep us off second bottom. Already this season it's become obvious that Hradec Králové are dead and buried, so the question is who will be going down to 2. Liga with them. Only 3 points separating 12th to 15th (five points separating 7th to 15th too!) so getting tight.

Ah. Czech football. Reminds me of one of my favourite trivia questions of all time.....

At what stadium did Pavel Nedved make his European Club debut?

As you're an Airdrie fan, I'm thinking to guess that it's Broomfield. Didn't Slavia Prague play Airdrie in the mid 90s in Europe?

• 3 weeks later...

That's us into the winter break now and some far from pleasing Zbrojovka results to say the least. Losing 2-1 at the weekend to the team mired at the foot of the table is never good. Will try to post interesting things here from time to time but will start it all up again when the league kicks back on in February.

• 2 months later...

Hooray, we're back from the break! After an awful loss to Dukla on Saturday, Zbrojovka's next trip will be to south Bohemia to entertain Dynamo České Budějovice. We're booked up for the trip so expect a match report and photographs next weekend!

Not quite setting off for Peterhead away at the crack of dawn but Budějovice sounds like a cracking away day. Budvar scenes everywhere.

I'm looking to take in a few matches on the weekend of 11/12 April. The big match of the round is Sparta-Slavia: how likely and practical is it to get a ticket for this one? This will presumably be moved for TV coverage, so Bohemians 1905 is another option in the city. I'd also like to get to the Plzen match v Zbrojovka of all sides, as Plzen is piss-easy to get to from Prague and having the Pilsner Urquell brewery practically right next to the ground seems a step-up from your ordinary match-day experience.

A group of friends and acquaintances went to the Bohemians match on Saturday during their stag weekend in the city. The football was seemingly shite given a 0-0 draw but between the price, beers, shouts at the game and apparently a roast pig being cooked and carved up inside the ground, they didn't seem to mind.

Not quite setting off for Peterhead away at the crack of dawn but Budějovice sounds like a cracking away day. Budvar scenes everywhere.

I'm looking to take in a few matches on the weekend of 11/12 April. The big match of the round is Sparta-Slavia: how likely and practical is it to get a ticket for this one? This will presumably be moved for TV coverage, so Bohemians 1905 is another option in the city. I'd also like to get to the Plzen match v Zbrojovka of all sides, as Plzen is piss-easy to get to from Prague and having the Pilsner Urquell brewery practically right next to the ground seems a step-up from your ordinary match-day experience.

A group of friends and acquaintances went to the Bohemians match on Saturday during their stag weekend in the city. The football was seemingly shite given a 0-0 draw but between the price, beers, shouts at the game and apparently a roast pig being cooked and carved up inside the ground, they didn't seem to mind.

I've only been to the Eden for a derby, Normally you can buy tickets from the ticket office(turnstiles are cashless) up to kick-off but I got mine a few days before, it is the only game I had to show my passport when buying the tickets and give my address.

It didn't sell out and there wasn't much bother, you could maybe chance it on the day for a ticket.

Mlada Boleslav are at home to Liberec that weekend, it is probably closer to Prague but I'm not sure the Skoda factory is as appealing as the Pilsen brewery

VT you are doing very well at selling this. The Czech football scene sounds quite the thing.

It costs about a tenner, you can buy beer during the game at about 80p a pint, Eden has a McDonalds, a hotel and a few bars on the street level of the stadium you can go in to before the game and you can get a tram from one of the biggest tram hubs in the city to the stadium, it is almost like they want fans to go.

VT, there's a shop on the corner of Betlemske Namesti and Husova that sells tickets and souvenirs for all of the Football and Hockey teams, might be worth trying them, though they never seem to be open at the weekend.

Bohemians 1905 is on tram route 22, stop is Vrsovicke Nameti (I think), 2 stops before Slavia, Gambinus for about 30Czk in the stadium.

There's a possibility we'll be at the Plzeň game as we've been talking about doing another weekender to the other side of the country; be sure to send me a message if you're at it. Slavia have gone completely off the boil the last few years and what was a sell-out a few years back (I struggled when I was living in Prague) may not be now. If you're dying for it I'd suggest getting a ticket earlier; but otherwise I'd highly recommend a trip to Bohemians at the Ďolíček.

The football's only costing you a tenner if you're one of the big Prague teams. My usual ticket for Zbrojovka is 35 crowns (around £1) as a student (!) and we're expecting to pay £3 for our away seats at the weekend.

Fantastic response from Zbrojovka at the weekend after last week's awful result. České Budějovice is one of the longest away trips for us in South Moravia, taking the best part of five hours to get to the game, but the 40 or so fans we brought along were treated to a fine game from Brno which sets us up nicely for Ostava on Friday night; which I am unfortunately not going to make. It's a pretty wee town and the home of Budvar, with some cracking pubs for an enjoyable weekend.

Video of the match is here: http://www.synotliga.cz/zapas/5199-ceb-bno/videosestrih.html#tabs. FINALLY Zbrojovka have stopped playing 3 at the back like total fools and the 4-5-1 we lined up with gave us the most width we've seen in months. What a difference Pavel Zavodil makes when he plays as well - sorely missed last weekend and linked up well with Mouzkanza who ran Dynamo ragged.

10421381_882276718462046_884239081943374

Good shot of the crowd from the OS Zbrojovaci FB page

3HEV22Rl.jpg

Superfan David, my travelling companion

3LrNUWul.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not been updating this thread as much as I should really - been an interesting few weeks from a Zbrojovka perspective. Up to 10th after a hard-fought win against Vysočina Jihlava after last week's pumping off of Sparta Prague. A few more games to go and that'll be us for the season,

Highlights here: http://www.synotliga.cz/zapas/5261-bno-jih/videosestrih.html

• 2 weeks later...