Stenhousemuir -vs- Stranraer

Alright lads, this is it, this is the big one. Fans of alteration, fill yer boots - it's Stenhousemuir against Stranraer.

After beating Morton last weekend - a performance that saw us control the first half and defend well in the second - I'm going into this match with an air of cautious optimism. I'd be disappointed if we didn't win it, to be honest.

I hope that, after his horrorshow at the weekend, Ross Meechan is dropped in favour of Robbie Duncan. I also hope that Martin Grehan is fit and available for the match because Colin McMenamin is a useless outlet - he didn't win a single header against Thomas O'Ware; God knows how he'll do against Frank McKeown. I also reckon Jamie Reid should begin the game on the right side, not the left. It goes without saying that Sean Dickson has to start.

- Grehan -

- Oliver - Dickson - Reid -

- Millar - Faulds -

- Summers - McMillan - Greacen - Duncan -

- Fleming -

I have a feeling that Stenhousemuir will win this match 2-1. God willing.

Can't disagree with that line up. Meechan hasn't delievered a single performace where I've thought he's played well. Constantly in the wrong position. The front 4 looked decent in the first half last week. Hopefully a repeat of the first half performance last week but for the whole game. Think it will be a draw though, 1-1.

I did say 2-2. However the goals we conceded were dreadful.

Indeed, I think they might have been two of the worst goals I've ever seen. The first one was an absolute calamity - a big scooped hoof dropping into the area and David Mitchell and Frank McKeown getting into an awfy fankle and letting it break to Colin McMenamin to score; the second saw a long throw bounce in the box. Unacceptable.

I'm inclined to say a draw was the fair result but I'm disappointed not to have won the match. I thought Stenhousemuir had the better of the play throughout but Stranraer had the more clear-cut chances. The Warriors inability to deal with set-pieces was their downfall, with the Stranraer goals coming from a corner and a throw-in respectively. Every time Stranraer had a corner they looked like they were going to score.

Shouts to Kris Faulds and Kieran Millar, I thought they were our two best outfield players. McMenamin made the game's most obvious contribution but I thought he was rubbish otherwise - I can't stand the way he plays and carries himself around the pitch. He looks like a real jerk.

I really didn't think much of Stranraer though. Two well-taken goals and a couple of chances but beyond that I don't think they did much at all. I reckon they'll be happier with the point than Stenhousemuir.

Agree with FF. We deserved at least a point but the two goals we scored were ridiculous. One day, and its unlikely to be soon, watching Stenhousemuir will be a pleasurable experience. Every game is such an effort.

Agree with FF. We deserved at least a point but the two goals we scored were ridiculous. One day, and its unlikely to be soon, watching Stenhousemuir will be a pleasurable experience. Every game is such an effort.

I'm not sure about that, I actually thought that was reasonably good fun and one of our better performances of the season. The goals we lost were poor and things got pretty scary whenever we lost a corner, but on the whole I reckon there's more positives than negatives we can take from the match:

• Ciaran Summers had a very good game at left-back and some of his play was excellent. There was a moment in the first half when he had three players around him and was able to use a fine series of drag-backs to pull himself into space and release the ball.
  • Ross McMillan and Stewart Greacen both had good games again - up until Danny Stoney's introduction, the game was pretty much played out right in front of them and the dealt with most of the things Stranraer threw at them.
  • Kris Faulds had his best game in a Stenhousemuir shirt and was my man of the match. He doesn't necessarily do anything remarkable but he has a good way of keeping things ticking over and moving the ball on to our attackers. He also put in a superb sliding tackle midway through the second half. After slagging him off from the moment he joined the club, I'm very pleased to see Faulds doing well.
  • Gary Oliver had another good game and looked a right nuisance - I don't think Craig Pettigrew was comfortable any time they came up against each other.

I thought it was a decent enough match and certainly nowhere near the worst I've seen this season (any time we've played away from home).

Our players really need to take a look at themselves after that one. It must be so frustrating to be a forward and to have battled (twice) to get ahead only for players at the back to tell Stenny to help themselves to an equaliser.

I've no idea what Gall was thinking about, lumping the ball back to goal from about 40 yards, and then Rumsby and Mitchell totally failed to communicate, allowing the ball to bounce to McMenamin - Christ, even I could have scored it then! Stenny hadn't looked like equalising before this - what a gift!

Then - with fully 92 minutes on the clock - we allow a harmless looking throw-in to reach the six yard box where - again - McMenamin just couldn't miss.

A fair enough result from an otherwise unmemorable game. The usual unsustainable 95 miles an hour start by Stenny, who also appeared to be affected more by a very slippery pitch. Scott Booth reckoned they had the better of the game and that we had a couple of good spells. I think that comment could be turned on its head and used by us too. As above, a fair result - just so frustrating when you're leading relatively comfortably - and so late - and throw it away.

As an aside - anyone know referee left the pitch for 4 minutes at 3pm and delayed the match?

I'm not sure about that, I actually thought that was reasonably good fun and one of our better performances of the season. The goals we lost were poor and things got pretty scary whenever we lost a corner, but on the whole I reckon there's more positives than negatives we can take from the match:

• Ciaran Summers had a very good game at left-back and some of his play was excellent. There was a moment in the first half when he had three players around him and was able to use a fine series of drag-backs to pull himself into space and release the ball.
  • Ross McMillan and Stewart Greacen both had good games again - up until Danny Stoney's introduction, the game was pretty much played out right in front of them and the dealt with most of the things Stranraer threw at them.
  • Kris Faulds had his best game in a Stenhousemuir shirt and was my man of the match. He doesn't necessarily do anything remarkable but he has a good way of keeping things ticking over and moving the ball on to our attackers. He also put in a superb sliding tackle midway through the second half. After slagging him off from the moment he joined the club, I'm very pleased to see Faulds doing well.
  • Gary Oliver had another good game and looked a right nuisance - I don't think Craig Pettigrew was comfortable any time they came up against each other.

I thought it was a decent enough match and certainly nowhere near the worst I've seen this season (any time we've played away from home).

To be clear, what I meant was that one day we will go out and dominate a match, go 2 or 3 up and then take it easy. Score another couple towards the end, just to add the finishing touch.

I thought we were quite bad for defensive mistakes, but the 2 goals we scored were absolute stinkers for Stranraer. First one in particular was just a comedy of errors, but I think we just about played well enough to merit the draw so I'll definitely take it. Still a lot of improvement needed though.

Archived