Ever been a scab or even thought about it?

Strathman

I'm self employed and work on behalf of various Companies so would cross a picket line (not that I ever have been put in that position) as I wouldn't get paid otherwise. That said, I have on numerous occasions defended staff from the management when I've felt they were being unreasonable towards them.

One of the perils of being self-employed, I crossed a picket line that wasn't even there once.

Arriving early at a new contract, a university, I crossed the empty road and made my way into the building just as a car drew up and a woman got out and shouted "You b*****d, you've just crossed a picket line" it was 7.30 in the morning and there were no other people on the road.

I was annoyed but as everyone else turned up for work felt a bit relieved, they were all Union members but it wasn't their Union and the strike was unofficial so their Union didn't back it.

Edited to amend unemployed to self-employed.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a few people who were involved in the Aberdeen Journals strike and someone once said to me that it summed up the worst of labour relations in the 70s and 80s - Red Robbo-style mad Commies in the Unions who thought they could overthrow the company and get everyone double figure payrises against complete arsehole, red-brace wearing Thatcherite yuppies who'd sell their mothers into slavery if they saw a buck in it.

I work in HR and we have by and large an excellent relationship with our unions. Although not that much contentious stuff comes up since it's all national Ts and Cs. There are one or two of the local union reps who would argue black was white, but most of them are pretty sound.

I work in HR and we have by and large an excellent relationship with our unions. Although not that much contentious stuff comes up since it's all national Ts and Cs. There are one or two of the local union reps who would argue black was white, but most of them are pretty sound.

When and why was "Personnel" changed to "Human Resources"?

In Unison, and it looks like we will be on strike later this month, even though I don't agree with it and can't really afford it, there is no way I'll be crossing any picket line, unfortunately there is plenty who will. :(

In Unison, and it looks like we will be on strike later this month, even though I don't agree with it and can't really afford it, there is no way I'll be crossing any picket line, unfortunately there is plenty who will. :(

I'll man the barricades with you biggie. I'm being told Tue 21st

I was a member of the CWU in the late Eighties...

They were my first Union as well and were forever out on strike in the early 90s. The great thing about strikes in sorting offices was that one day of inaction took three days to clear so we used to make our strike day wage back and more on overtime!

As for scabbing, I attended a professional exam a few years ago that fell on a strike day called by my Union. I spoke to my rep about it, as well as my old man who spent much of his working career in full-time rep positions, and both said a lack of a picket line at the hotel where the exam was taking place meant I could go along. So that's what I did, although I still don't feel particularly proud of myself to this day.

When and why was "Personnel" changed to "Human Resources"?

I don't know. Probably to make us sound a bit more professional. We have a terrible reputation (as evidenced above, although as far as I know my soul is intact).

I've only been in the profession for a couple of years. The vast majority of modern HR jobs require you to be CIPD qualified- I have two degrees- we aren't idiots anymore. Historically HR folk weren't always professionally qualified.

Anyway, back on topic. I do what is best for our staff and our organisation, as do our unions. We are all looking for the same thing at the end of the day.

I don't know. Probably to make us sound a bit more professional. We have a terrible reputation (as evidenced above, although as far as I know my soul is intact).

I've only been in the profession for a couple of years. The vast majority of modern HR jobs require you to be CIPD qualified- I have two degrees- we aren't idiots anymore. Historically HR folk weren't always professionally qualified.

Anyway, back on topic. I do what is best for our staff and our organisation, as do our unions. We are all looking for the same thing at the end of the day.

CIPD qualifications are just made up by the HR "industry" to legitimise and justify the non-work they do.

I know they arent that bad everywhere but ours are genuinly more of a hinderence than a help. they actualy seem to have more authority than the general manager. they override decisions made by plant gaffers who actualy know their shit just to be awkward c***s. still wuid with some tho

I'm a member of the NFU, the union do a lot of good work towards fairer pay and conditions in the agriculture industry, so I'm happy to contribute. I genuinely can't imagine a general strike of agricultural workers though, so hopefully it will never come down to it but I wouldn't scab.

We have been told by a senior HR person that us engineers and pilots should remember our place and the company could easily continue without us but not without them, for the record we're a large helicopter company!

Just politely remind them that their Dept doesn't make the company any money.......and call them fcuking parasites on the way out the door! ;)

Archived