Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Bowers

I'm really disappointed as I'd heard nothing about the show's return, so I've now missed something like the first nine episodes of the second series. Managed to watch the last four on demand at least but can't believe I've missed so much of it. It's absolutely tremendous and strengthened by HBO's budget which always helps.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Pete Rockwell said:

Probably the funniest thing on TV just now wish it was on 4 nights a week instead of the Daily Show.

It's better this way. They use the whole week to investigate these segments that he does. It would probably only dilute the quality.

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

It's better this way. They use the whole week to investigate these segments that he does. It would probably only dilute the quality.

I know what you mean. I never watched Daily Show when Jon Daly hosted but pretty sure I'd prefer him to Trevor Noah. 

Sadly I can't see us getting anything akin to this in the UK.  For a start I don't think something as partisan as this would get past the UK broadcast regulations, even as a comedy show.

I reckon they must spend a lot of money on research on this show and whilst 30 minutes once a week is not long I think it may be pushing it to increase this, maybe apart from one-off specials.

Anyone looked at/discussed the 'John Oliver effect'?  I can't see it mentioned on here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2016 at 16:55, peasy23 said:

Another quality show this week, the Ryan Lochte section was fantastic.

I completely agree with this, that and the Trump section at the end were great. 

• 2 months later...

Sundays on HBO in the summer are excellent. Game of Thrones at 9pm, Silicon Valley at 10, Veep at 10:30 and then the majesty that is John Oliver at 11pm. Best night's viewing ever. Now that Oliver is off until February (February, FFS), is slim pickings after Westworld is finished.

I feel like this season has suffered due to the presidential election campaign overshadowing it too much. They're absolutely at their best when they're on top of their journalistic game, but John Oliver's self-loathing comedy style has been a bit stale of late, not to mention he doesn't call out the left nearly as much as Stewart did.

Archived