3 best signings from each manager since the millennium..

Stole from the Premiership forum.

Basically as it says in the title - The 3 best signings from each manager since the millennium in your opinions..

Myself, I have only really followed the club week in, week out for Mcglynn and Murray so I'm only going to name the 3 and explain from those eras.

John Mcglynn

1. Brian Graham - Didn't get the 'He Scores when he wants' caption for nothing, every time he got the ball, he looked like scoring, nothing more needs to be said.

2. Allan Walker - From when he joined the club, every season apart from his last, he was consistently one of our top performers.. Was extremely disappointed during his last season with us.. Watching him go from being one of our best players to one of our worst in just a couple of months.

3. Gregory Tade - No more has to be said. He was a fan favourite from day one and never let us down.

Grant Murray

1. Kevin Moon - He's definately proved to be the glue in the middle of the park.. The midfield don't look settled unless he's in the side.

2. John Baird - Was a brilliant piece of business to beat 4 other interested clubs in our division to snapping him up on deadline day. Without him, I reckon we would have went down.

3. There are a few candidates for this last spot.. Cardle, Booth, and Watson were all decent candidates for it, but I have decided to go with Ryan Conroy - He's got the full package IMO. His delivery is brilliant whether it be from crosses, corners, or free kicks. He's proven to have a bit of pace behind him, the ability to beat a man, and also he has a decent strike on him as well.

McLeish was our manager at the start of the millennium but his 3 best signings came the year before (Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu) and Sauzee didn't get much time as manager.

So will start with Bobby Williamson;

Williamson:
1 - Stephen Dobbie

2 - Stephen Glass

3 - Daniel Andersson

Mowbray:
1 - David Murphy

2 - Rob Jones

3 - Ivan Sproule - For his hat-trick at Ibrox

Collins - Awkward Signings :
1 - Clayton Donaldson

2 - Thierry Gathuessi

3 - Brian Kerr - for his winner at Tynecastle

Mixu:
1 - Derek Riordan

2 - Sol Bamba

3 - Grzegorz Szamotulski

Yogi:
1 - Anthony Stokes

2 - Liam Miller

3 - Graham Stack

Calderwood (p***k):
1 - Leigh Griffiths

2 - Garry O'Connor

3 - Ivan Sproule

Fenlon:
1 - Leigh Griffiths

2 - Jorge Claros

3 - Ben Williams

I would do Butcher but he can f**k off.

Craig Levein was responsible for Paul Hartley, Mark de Vries and the fantastic Phil Stamp. 3 of my favourites personally.

Jim Jefferies in his second spell, signed Rudi Skacel, Kevin Kyle and Ryan Stevenson.

Just don't mention Jamie Hamill.

Jimmy Nicholl (both spells) :

Greg Stewart (although all credit goes to Bobby Paterson)

Marc McKenzie (for our league winning season)

Darren Brownlie

Colin Cameron :

Kane Hemmings

Thomas Flynn

Craig Moore (loan)

Danny Lennon :

John Armstrong

Darren McGregor (for his second spell)

Gareth Wardlaw

Brian Welsh :

Kenny Adamson

Jon Robertson

Mixu :

David Hay

Markus Paatelainen

Mark Baxter

Dave Baikie - Did he sign anyone?

Keith Wright :

Dene Shields

Innes Ritchie

Bryan Gilfillan

Did Mixu not sign Armand One and Gomis during his spell in charge ? They would Defo make any best signings list for us IMO .

Edited to add; If you extended it to a worst signings list then Jimmy would have about 5 pages worth :P .

He signed both of them, yes. Armand only played about 10 games for us and Gomis about 15. Good players but I think the players who I listed served us/entertained us better.

Worst Nicholl signings (from this season) :

Pat Scullion

Iain Campbell

Danijel Jurisic

Worst Cameron signings :

Zeph Thomas

Liam Cusack

Craig Wight

He signed both of them, yes. Armand only played about 10 games for us and Gomis about 15. Good players but I think the players who I listed served us/entertained us better.

Worst Nicholl signings (from this season) :

Pat Scullion

Iain Campbell

Danijel Jurisic

Worst Cameron signings :

Zeph Thomas

Liam Cusack

Craig Wight

Fair point re the length of their service for the club. If it came down to favourite signings then they would defo be on my list but that would be a different thread :).

John Connolly (2000–2004)

• Steve Bowey
  • John O'Neil
  • Colin Scott

Iain Scott (2004–2005)

• Stuart Lovell
  • Derek Lyle
  • Tom English

Really struggled for Iain Scott signings

Ian McCall (2005–2007)

• Stephen Dobbie
  • Jamie McDonald
  • Steve Tosh

Gordon Chisholm (2007–2010)

• Bob Harris
  • Ryan McCann
  • Craig Reid

Kenny Brannigan (2010–2011)

• Allan Johnston
  • Colin McMenamin
  • Ryan McGuffie (Think it was Branigan who signed him)

Gus MacPherson (2011–2012)

• Chris Higgins
  • Nicky Clark
  • Lee Robinson

Allan Johnston (P/M) (2012–2013)

• Mark Durnan
  • Chris Mitchell
  • Derek Young

Jim McIntyre (2013–2014)

• Iain Russell
  • Andy Dowie
  • Zander Clark

Terry Christie era 99-03

Steven Thomson. Signed from Hamilton Accies and was a great player for us. A colossal at the heart of the defence.

Andy Seaton. The best left back I've seen in a Alloa shirt. What puts him above Meggat is the fact that Seaton was great at set pieces.

Robert Sloan. His loan signing from Hearts almost kept us up that season.

Tom Hendrie era 03-06

Jose Quitongo. A cult figure amongst the supporters and provided some great moments of joy in what was quite a pish time for the club.

Jamie Stevenson. Another talented player. I'd love to see him in this current Alloa squad as he would fit in a treat.

Stuart Callaghan. Huffy b*****d but could turn in a performance if he wanted to.

Allan Maitland era 06-11

In amongst the 1000 players he signed from the juniors he did actually manage to find a decent player every now and then.

Bryan Prunty, Scot Buist and Scot Walker are my favourite players from the Maitland era.

Paul Hartley era 11-14

Stephen Simmons. Probably the best midfielder I've seen in a Alloa shirt and that is high praise indeed.

Stevie May. Scored goals and won us a title.

Scot Bain. Best keeper I've seen at the recs.

King Barry Smith 14- until the sun melts into the rocks era

Bit hard to pick three players as he's only been here a short time.

Liam Lindsay, Greg Spence and Liam Buchanan.

I'll go for the best players from a selection of managers rather than the full amount :lol:

Craig Levein: Paul Hartley, Mark de Vries, Andy Webster;

John Robertson: Lee Miller and Saulius Mikoliunas

George Burley: Rudolf Skacel, Edgaras Jankauskas, Panagiotis "Takis" Fyssas;

Graham Rix: Bruno Aguair and Jose Goncalves. Let's not talk about the rest.

Valdas Ivanauskas: Christos Karipidis and Marius Zaliukas.

Csaba Laszlo: Suso Santana, Ian Black, Darren Barr;

Jim Jefferies: Kevin Kyle, Rudolf Skacel, Danny Grainger;

Robbie Neilson: Morgaro Gomis, Prince Buaben, Osman Sow;

Not particularly sticking to the rules but it's pretty hard to remember who signed who.

Special mentions to Mauricio Pinilla :wub: , Larryea Kingston (On his day he was amazing) and Roman Bednar (signed by Burley)

Stole from the Premiership forum.

Basically as it says in the title - The 3 best signings from each manager since the millennium in your opinions..

Myself, I have only really followed the club week in, week out for Mcglynn and Murray so I'm only going to name the 3 and explain from those eras.

John Mcglynn

1. Brian Graham - Didn't get the 'He Scores when he wants' caption for nothing, every time he got the ball, he looked like scoring, nothing more needs to be said.

2. Allan Walker - From when he joined the club, every season apart from his last, he was consistently one of our top performers.. Was extremely disappointed during his last season with us.. Watching him go from being one of our best players to one of our worst in just a couple of months.

3. Gregory Tade - No more has to be said. He was a fan favourite from day one and never let us down.

Grant Murray

1. Kevin Moon - He's definately proved to be the glue in the middle of the park.. The midfield don't look settled unless he's in the side.

2. John Baird - Was a brilliant piece of business to beat 4 other interested clubs in our division to snapping him up on deadline day. Without him, I reckon we would have went down.

3. There are a few candidates for this last spot.. Cardle, Booth, and Watson were all decent candidates for it, but I have decided to go with Ryan Conroy - He's got the full package IMO. His delivery is brilliant whether it be from crosses, corners, or free kicks. He's proven to have a bit of pace behind him, the ability to beat a man, and also he has a decent strike on him as well.

McGlynns best signing was David McGurn.

Not sure Murray has made three good signings.

You really are an extremely negative rovers 'fan', aren't you? John Baird, Kevin Moon, Paul Watson, Callum Booth, Ryan Conroy has been brilliant every game this season as well..( just to name a few)

But you stick to spouting negative p*sh as always..

You really are an extremely negative rovers 'fan', aren't you? John Baird, Kevin Moon, Paul Watson, Callum Booth, Ryan Conroy has been brilliant every game this season as well..( just to name a few)

But you stick to spouting negative p*sh as always..

That's a wee bit too happy clappy. Conroy was brilliant against Rangers and Hearts? Aye.

pre-John McGlynn - here be monsters.

John McGlynn

1. David McGurn - one of the best keepers I've seen at Starks.

2. Grant Murray - a rock in defence and capable of playing in various positions. Great goal against the Pars.

3. Gregory Tade - After his comical pre-season fresh air swipe against Norwich, he went on to become a fans favourite with that goal at Pittodrie and the one against the Pars at New Year.

Archived