Yes Events - Anyone started going?

JogaBonito

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No point in attending Yes events. Another referendum is a long, long way off. Most of the public have moved on anyway. Interest has dissolved quicker than US soccer fever after a World Cup. Pity, as I really hoped it would keep people talking about politics. Too heavy, it seems. General chit-chat only, for most. Ah well.

No point in attending Yes events. Another referendum is a long, long way off. Most of the public have moved on anyway. Interest has dissolved quicker than US soccer fever after a World Cup. Pity, as I really hoped it would keep people talking about politics. Too heavy, it seems. General chit-chat only, for most. Ah well.

Interest and enthusiasm are obviously going to fall, but I think there is still a good chance of a long term wider independence movement establishing itself.

I hope they will focus on practical steps towards gaining more powers for Scotland rather than trying to have another referendum in the near future.

1) Interest and enthusiasm are obviously going to fall, but I think there is still a good chance of a long term wider independence movement establishing itself.

2) I hope they will focus on practical steps towards gaining more powers for Scotland rather than trying to have another referendum in the near future.

1) I think no matter what there will always be an independence movement. The fast decline in interest from Unionists and Yes supporters in politics does make me wonder though if people just picked a side and argued for it because everyone else was doing it. Did the politics really matter to them or did they simply enjoy the tribalism aspect?. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but its the same thought I get when I listen to bigots at football games. Are they really there for football? How important is football to them compared to the singing and rivalry?..

2) Agreed. I certainly hope the Scottish National Party accept the decision and move on, rather than constantly suggesting referendums. I have my doubts though. It's their main goal, after all.

Most of the public have moved on?

45% voted Yes and 25% of No voters were swung by 'the vow' according to polling I read the other day.

The vow will not come to fruition. Westminster election 2015 with talk of a Yes alliance. 2016 Holyrood elections, chance to have even bigger pro Indy majority. 2017 European referendum. Welcome to the neverendum, it was inevitable, but despite what Westminster and the MSM tell you the independence movement is anything but back on its box.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Yes event in George Sq. Glasgow this Sunday and thought to pass it on.

There's some talk that it could be pretty big turnout (7k - 12k) so hopefully it works out pretty well.

I was at the Holyrood rally the other week and it was worth it, so if you're Yes and can get down on 12th then should be good for scenes, at least.

The gym reference is , sadly i think true. the more time moves on the more people will lose interest. but even if only 10 % of the new snp members renew next year then its still a massive upturn for them compared to 3-4 years ago. the eu referendum and the next ge will make a difference. sure. but all these young people with a new interest in politics will soon learn that they (politicians) are all the same bunch of wankers just as older generations have figured out and we'l go back to turnouts of 40-50 % again. i do tend to be a cyncical neative b*****d tho so i hope im wrong.

If the baby boomers were the" me generation" then our current crop of 18-32 year olds (my age) must be the "now generation" short tearm gratification is all that matters! its more important to go out on the piss than get youre central heating fixed when you can only afford one or t'other. i just cant see many of this lot being enthusiastic in ten years time.

The gym reference is , sadly i think true. the more time moves on the more people will lose interest. but even if only 10 % of the new snp members renew next year then its still a massive upturn for them compared to 3-4 years ago. the eu referendum and the next ge will make a difference. sure. but all these young people with a new interest in politics will soon learn that they (politicians) are all the same bunch of wankers just as older generations have figured out and we'l go back to turnouts of 40-50 % again. i do tend to be a cyncical neative b*****d tho so i hope im wrong.

If the baby boomers were the" me generation" then our current crop of 18-32 year olds (my age) must be the "now generation" short tearm gratification is all that matters! its more important to go out on the piss than get youre central heating fixed when you can only afford one or t'other. i just cant see many of this lot being enthusiastic in ten years time.

I think you'll find the new membership will pretty much stay behind them over the course of the GE, the SNP will comfortably have more boots on the ground in Scotland than the 3 Westminster parties put together, it'll be more down to whether YES supporters decide to campaign for a single party in each seat, ie if the SSP are perceived to have a real chance of winning a certain seat in Glasgow the Greens, SNP etc will all campaign on their behalf.

I think you'll find the new membership will pretty much stay behind them over the course of the GE, the SNP will comfortably have more boots on the ground in Scotland than the 3 Westminster parties put together, it'll be more down to whether YES supporters decide to campaign for a single party in each seat, ie if the SSP are perceived to have a real chance of winning a certain seat in Glasgow the Greens, SNP etc will all campaign on their behalf.

Hopefully that is what ends up happening, there are far too many donkeys with red rossets round here and its time they got tae f**k! career politicians up to the eyes in expenses. the same ones who were rumbled trying to sign up union members without their knowledge that led to the whole grangemouth debacle. i have no sympathy for them

Archived