Failed Statelet Chuckle Ratings

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems that, despite all the negatives, folks are quite happy over there,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29348032

Cue the nay sayers................................

I spent a couple of years in Barrow, I can understand it making the unhappiest list. I hate to generalise but it just seemed 10 years behind everywhere else.

I spent a couple of years in Barrow, I can understand it making the unhappiest list. I hate to generalise but it just seemed 10 years behind everywhere else.

When did the regeneration works take place?

Pretty fair assessment.

Small town, which thinks it's a big town, whilst keeping small town mentality.

The only thing that's up to date is the rate of closure of small indepent traders. No youngsters willing to carry on the family business.

We've got a pedestrian precinct (to keep the disabled scooters off the road, where all the single mums can congregate with their push chairs and give the crutch wielding skivers a place to excercise :lol: ).

Also, the Town Hall (a listed building) has just got a new roof fitted (only 4/5th got done :( ).

And we've got as many pot holes as any other town :P .

We've got a pedestrian precinct (to keep the disabled scooters off the road, where all the single mums can congregate with their push chairs and give the crutch wielding skivers a place to excercise :lol: ).

Also, the Town Hall (a listed building) has just got a new roof fitted (only 4/5th got done :( ).

Some nice places in Cumbria too........Barrow and Egremont aren't them though.

I worked on a project in Egremont a few years back.....by fcuk they were dark days!

I quite liked the place, I'm not sure why though. I was staying on Walney island which was alright and handy enough for work and had a couple of decent enough pubs. It was a ball ache getting back up the road at the weekend right enough.

I quite liked the place, I'm not sure why though. I was staying on Walney island which was alright and handy enough for work and had a couple of decent enough pubs. It was a ball ache getting back up the road at the weekend right enough.

Yeh.......even getting to the M6 is an ordeal! :(

I was in the town hall for a remembrance day thing, its a cracking building if you like that kind of thing. I have to say I can't remember anywhere like it for the number of 20 something, shaved head, roid enhanced unemployed men hanging around the town centre during the day. It was almost like they did 'work' out of office hours.

Yeh.......even getting to the M6 is an ordeal! :(

The train times were fecked as well, you got into Lancaster 5 minutes after the Edinburgh train left so unless it was late you had to wait the best part of an hour for the next one. At least there's a couple of decent boozers close to the station I suppose. :whistle

I'm sure there was a mass shift of people in Barrow going from unemployment benefits to disability allowance benefits around about the time Labour got in back in 97.

That was around the same time when the Shipyard off-loaded, 16,000ish down to 4,000 in a space of 2-3 years, and stopped taking any significant number of apprentices on. A lot of 40+ going straight on invalidity because there was no other work in the town and nothing for the youngsters.

I'm sure I read Barrow is the invalidity capital of the North of England (if not in the whole of the UK).

The benefit culture is rife in Barrow unfortunately, some youngsters have grown up knowing nothing else. Sad really, but it's probably mirrored all round the country.

Some nice places in Cumbria too........Barrow and Egremont aren't them though.

I worked on a project in Egremont a few years back.....by fcuk they were dark days!

You have my deepest sympathies sir.

How can a place like Egremont exist beside the Lake District?

It would be like putting Easterhouse into the Trossachs.

A flock of ducks were flying back to their summer breeding grounds after a winter spent in the gerrymandered failed statelet. The duck at the back of the v-formation went quack and the one at the front replied, "I'm going as fast as I can!".

I am well aware that this is close to being the worst joke of all time.

A flock of ducks were flying back to their summer breeding grounds after a winter spent in the gerrymandered failed statelet. The duck at the back of the v-formation went quack and the one at the front replied, "I'm going as fast as I can!".

I am well aware that this is close to being the worst joke of all time.

Congratulations on your thread stopper.

That was around the same time when the Shipyard off-loaded, 16,000ish down to 4,000 in a space of 2-3 years, and stopped taking any significant number of apprentices on. A lot of 40+ going straight on invalidity because there was no other work in the town and nothing for the youngsters.

I'm sure I read Barrow is the invalidity capital of the North of England (if not in the whole of the UK).

The benefit culture is rife in Barrow unfortunately, some youngsters have grown up knowing nothing else. Sad really, but it's probably mirrored all round the country.

With manufacturing industries and the like you can almost understand Governments/Companies decision to move them to places with cheaper labour resources but what I find utterly unforgivable is leaving the areas where they've been moved from to rot.......with the likes of Barrow and numerous Coal mining towns being an example of.

Archived