Disposable income

Adam

Yeah, I'm hoping to get a bit more fired to it next year, would love it to come down to under 80% when we go to re-mortgage.

Stick at it....you'll get there :)

I've got just over 10years left on mine and am about the 50% mark.......hopeful I'll get a very low rate next time I re-mortgage.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Base rate is 0.5% so I'm guessing he has a "Base Rate + 1.35% tracker mortgage"

If he'd said, 'I have a mortgage rate of 1.85%' but he didn't. He was suggesting that interest rates on savings are better than current mortgage rates, which they're obviously not for everyone.

Mortgage rate is 1.85% and I'm making at least 5% per year in a stocks and shares ISA with low risk dividend paying blue chip stocks. OK, not as safe as cash ISA but over the amount of time you've had with low interest rates you'd be very unlucky to lose money.

He did say his mortgage rate was 1.85%.........you've lost me Monkman!

He did say his mortgage rate was 1.85%.........you've lost me Monkman!

Think I miss read what was being said, I thought he was generalising that interest available on savings was higher than mortgages. Seems he was talking about his specific situation!

Anyway, overpaying on mortgages is a no brainer. When I got my first mortgage 2 years ago, it was a 20 year term. I'm due for renewal in December and I've managed to effectively knock 3 years of payments off. At this rate, I'll take 13 years to clear entirely.

Think I miss read what was being said, I thought he was generalising that interest available on savings was higher than mortgages. Seems he was talking about his specific situation!

Anyway, overpaying on mortgages is a no brainer. When I got my first mortgage 2 years ago, it was a 20 year term. I'm due for renewal in December and I've managed to effectively knock 3 years of payments off. At this rate, I'll take 13 years to clear entirely.

Good man! :)

I had what can only be described as a nervous breakdown about seven or eight years ago, and made a massive c**t of our finances during that time. As a result, I'm still paying off massive debts, and I've had to do self-employed work since (sort of) recovering because I'm pretty much unemployable. Thank Christ for Tax Credits. That said, we still usually have a hundred or two per month for more frivolous things, mainly due to the fascist financial regime I've imposed in recent years. Although we're probably screwed until Christmas now due to some minor house repairs that I had to make :(

I think I'm debt-free in two years (well, other than the mortgage), so it's a matter of holding our breath until then. Definitely need to look at our mortgage, though, judging by this thread - I think our interest rate is 6.5% :lol:

Glad to hear that most of you are doing better than us financially - hope you're having a good time :thumsup2 You young 'uns remember to put a little away; everyone ends up kicking themselves for not doing so at some point.

After bills I have roughly £650 to £680 left over per month. I don't own a car, or have any outstanding debts as I've never taken a loan or credit card out and I never miss any bills. Rather fortunate in that respects, although buying a PS4 this month has skint me and I'll be in my £100 overdraft before I get paid next week.

Roughly £650 a month usually left after paying all bills.

Doing a lot of work to the house just now though, so I'm pretty much skint the week after payday just now. Hopefully have it all finished by Xmas and have some more money to hand as of next year

That's not taking the other halfs incoming into consideration. I pay the mortgage, bank loan, virgin media and insurances, she pays the food shopping and council tax as she's only part time now.

I've no idea what she's left with but I'd guess a good few hundred anyway. A joint account wouldn't work with us as she's better with money than me so it'd be endless arguments if she could actually keep track of my insane spending habits.

Mortgage rate is 1.85% and I'm making at least 5% per year in a stocks and shares ISA with low risk dividend paying blue chip stocks. OK, not as safe as cash ISA but over the amount of time you've had with low interest rates you'd be very unlucky to lose money.

That's fair enough if you have a decent rate like you do, but I would guess most folk are on a rate of between 3.5% - 5% which would mean that unless they had a sizeable ISA balance, they would definitely be better paying down the mortgage.

I hope you didn't have Tesco in that ISA of yours.....

I don't know how much we have. I take nothing to do with money, I just get pocket money and carry a credit card for emergencies. When I quit the cigs a year past in June, £5 per day got put away for a wee treat which was 5 days in Malaga with friends. Still got enough of that left for another trip in November.

Archived