This Suggestion That We Are Now A Divided Nation ?

Ned Nederlander

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

Friends falling out, folk being spat at !! This is getting banded about again and yet when I was a long-standing 'No' voter ahead of the last referendum I experienced absolutely none of it.

The worst I recall from last time was Murphy having an egg chucked at him and some mono-browed 'No' folk celebrating angrily in George Sq afterwards.

I voted differently from most of my family and we just joke about it, there was no animosity in my work place - my new place is wall-to-wall No voters but nobody gets het up about it.

Anyone on here been spat at because of how they voted last time out ? There must be some truth in all these claims!

A few of my neighbours voted YES (many more than I expected tbh) and a few voted NO. We all had our different flags hanging out our windows ect and not 1 bad bit of blood between any of us. In fact there was a bit of banter ect, weirdly brought people closer together if anything.

56 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Friends falling out, folk being spat at !! This is getting banded about again and yet when I was a long-standing 'No' voter ahead of the last referendum I experienced absolutely none of it.

The worst I recall from last time was Murphy having an egg chucked at him and some mono-browed 'No' folk celebrating angrily in George Sq afterwards.

I voted differently from most of my family and we just joke about it, there was no animosity in my work place - my new place is wall-to-wall No voters but nobody gets het up about it.

Anyone on here been spat at because of how they voted last time out ? There must be some truth in all these claims!

i just spat at you

but being 50 miles away, I think I might have missed

All the craziness must happen on social media. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter so the last Indy ref for me was pretty uneventful.I voted yes as I thought it was best for us friends and family voted no for the same honest reason.  I didn't see much evidence of divisions in society, any time I heard about it was media reports about twitter or Facebook comments which are platforms that hysteria and mob mentality seem to be the norm on. There seemed to be sensationalist lazy reporting based on idiots on twitter and Facebook being idiots as if they were represenative of Scottish society.

It depends how people react - a very large percentage of the Scottish population is going to get a result that they didn't want. With a narrow win you'll always get some who question the validity of the vote, and that's where any problems will start.

I've been fairly heartened with what I've seen from many so far though - most people very keen to get on with life regardless.

Apart from a few really hard-line No folk I know (ie my mum and stepdad) most other No folk I know did not vote so with any great enthusiasm. I still believe there is a very soft belly to the No vote that can be persuaded if the bullshit is tackled head-on and not deflected. The currency and the post-independence economy need to be absolutely watertight - no sterlingisation, a clear viable currency​ position, and no wish-list of spending commitments.

Even though I vehemently disagree with my mum over this (and Brexit) we are both nature enough to respect each other's point of view without falling out over it.

Strange that a country where you can get your throat slit for wearing the wrong football colours and our 'biggest' football match is based on people hating each other because of sky fairies, only becomes divided when the nasty nats pop their heads up.

23 minutes ago, mjw said:

Strange that a country where you can get your throat slit for wearing the wrong football colours and our 'biggest' football match is based on people hating each other because of sky fairies, only becomes divided when the nasty nats pop their heads up.

The nasty nats who want to put an end to the animosity?

f**k those nasty liberal c***s.

One of the best lines I've heard is "broken families."

The divided nation issue is utterly pathetic to be honest. It's great that more people are interested in politics and are actually thinking and talking about the future of our country. Anyone that's sobbing about how it's dividing the nation should go away and have a wee cry on their own while everyone else gets on with it.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Will H_B be returning for this referendum? I'd like to see him crying after a yes vote.

H B returned for wee while woth a different user name. I cannae remeber it the now.

In fairness he never quite recovered from the whole Anthony c Pick fiasco.

That was a thing of beauty.

Archived