This Suggestion That We Are Now A Divided Nation ?

Ned Nederlander

I voted Yes but I know many folk who voted No, I still consider these people as friends and family, nothings changed as far as I'm concerned, I'm reasonably certain that going forward we'll just get on with things as normal.

Or are we heading for another Armageddon ... is there social unrest ahead ??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends how people react - a very large percentage of the Scottish population is going to get a result that they didn't want. With a narrow win you'll always get some who question the validity of the vote, and that's where any problems will start.

I've been fairly heartened with what I've seen from many so far though - most people very keen to get on with life regardless.

It's always been the NO/BT side who have pushed the whole 'divisive' bullshit. They cry about shared history, cultural bonds etc as if all that would be broken and forgotten in an iScotland. That's utter gash of course unless you want that to happen, which at times the NO/BT sound like they do.

It's always been the NO/BT side who have pushed the whole 'divisive' bullshit. They cry about shared history, cultural bonds etc as if all that would be broken and forgotten in an iScotland. That's utter gash of course unless you want that to happen, which at times the NO/BT sound like they do.

^^

Perfect example of what I was talking about

The divided nation argument is a load of shite, it's not as if support for independence is something new, the only people you hear mentioning the "divided nation" are the no camp, why?

Because they'd rather we all shut up.

If, after this massive turnout, most Scottish people say that they're happy with London rule. Tory governments, and Trident, etc, I'll have to admit that I'm in the minority.

If that's genuinely what most Scottish people want, they're welcome to it.

Yes or no, people will just get on with their lives.

A nation that has regained the habit of popular political discourse.

A nation where the one act of violence was an English pro No counsellor.

We have 1 000 divisions and 1 000 conversations about them.

That's not true. There was an assault outside another polling station.

At least half my family have voted no. The yes voters in my family have all been honest about it. Never a single argument or disagreement between us. I genuinely believe that things won't get divided after the results are known. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I certainly hope not.

From my immediate family, 6 have voted NO, and 3 (including me) voted YES.

Dunno if there will be actual violence but a lot of people will utterly embarrass themselves on social media for a few days. Hopefully it'll all blow over but I think a few friendships here and there may get a bit strained.

There are a few people in the other Scottish office i work with working from home tomorrow as they expect it to be poisonous.

Weird, as where i work its been great. Completely civil and an 'Aye, well, if that's what you want to do go right ahead '

I think it depends a lot on the top-level reaction - there will be some bampots around tomorrow and bampot activity should absolutely be highlighted: if this is spun into a dog-whistle narrative of an unaccepted result then I would expect that narrative to be self-fulfilling.

I think it depends a lot on the top-level reaction - there will be some bampots around tomorrow and bampot activity should absolutely be highlighted: if this is spun into a dog-whistle narrative of an unaccepted result then I would expect that narrative to be self-fulfilling.

If people avoid here and forums like it and social media, it will be absolutely serene.

Archived