Jack Harper

jamiefitz

On 7/22/2016 at 09:19, forameus said:

We had far better performances earlier on as well, to the point where it genuinely looked like we could beat Poland and Ireland to qualifying, and perhaps even finish top if Germany continued their difficult campaign.  

In what universe did we ever look like finishing top

2 hours ago, forameus said:

And yet none of that changes what I actually said, which was, again, if we did beat Georgia, we would've been in a playoff spot.  How is that so hard to understand?  I never said anything about the rest of the campaign.  Although for the record, it's nowhere near as bad as people make out with hindsight.  You talk about Poland like they were no-marks - a draw in Warsaw was a good result, and I completely agree we should have closed it out in at least one of the games - probably Hampden.  But Poland have proved this summer that they are a good side.  And we didn't "choke" against Ireland, we got it back to 1-1 after they scored first.

The only reason I go on about the Georgia game in this context is because had we won it, and got through the playoff, then no-one would be saying a peep about the rest of the campaign.  But we lose that one, end up not qualifying, and suddenly the retcon is that we were absolutely shite.  We weren't.  We were fair-to-middling for most of the campaign, and shite in one game.  Ireland were pretty average for most of the campaign, and amazing for one game.  That's the way it goes sometimes.

fair to middling for most of the campaign, take out the Gibraltar results and we got 9 points in 8 games, roughly 1 point per game, if thats fair to middling then we clearly need to be better as it wasnt good enough

the fact is the current lot have a record like this for every tournament, sticking with fair to middling and hoping we fluke something isnt good enough surely, finishing with an average of a point per game every qualifying isnt good enough surely

fair to middling for most of the campaign, take out the Gibraltar results and we got 9 points in 8 games, roughly 1 point per game, if thats fair to middling then we clearly need to be better as it wasnt good enough

the fact is the current lot have a record like this for every tournament, sticking with fair to middling and hoping we fluke something isnt good enough surely, finishing with an average of a point per game every qualifying isnt good enough surely

If you take out the Gibraltar results then you should take out the Germany ones too.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If you take out the Gibraltar results then you should take out the Germany ones too.

No, because, demonstrably, not every country writes such games off in the way that we do.

Gibraltar results can be discarded because everyone beat them twice.

Not everyone achieved the same results as each other against the Germans.

3 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

In what universe did we ever look like finishing top

We never really looked like it, but Germany were less than impressive for the most part.  Had we gone and done something mental like beating them at Hampden - which could have happened given how out of sorts they looked defensively in that game, and how they let Ireland take them - then dropped more points to Poland, the group could have really backed up.  Had we beaten Georgia, Germany and then Poland, we'd have probably gone into the Gibraltar game with a chance of that.  It's massively stretching, but there was a point where it looked like Germany's troubles were opening things up for the rest of the teams in the group

2 hours ago, 53_and_counting said:

And, I can't believe I feel like I still need to say it, that points total was enough to mean had we beaten Georgia we would have been in the playoffs.  Take out Gibraltar from Ireland's results and they got three points more than us.  That's not exactly great either.  Our group had no side going all out, so the points total were relatively close.  If you ranked the 4th placed sides, we were comfortably ahead of every other side, because our group ended up all taking points off of each other.  If you're wanting to take away results against the bottom sides, Netherlands got 7 points from 8 games, as did Israel, Bulgaria and Macedonia.  Estonia had 6.  Finland got 8, Montenegro got 5.  Serbia got fucking 4.  

Of course we need to do better, but then I never argued about that.  We could have easily qualified automatically the way this group panned out.  But that doesn't change what I originally said.  If we had bea...nah, I'm honestly sick of saying it, because you're clearly not getting it.

• 5 months later...

Playing in La  Liga won't do him any good,  we can't have young players carving careers out abroad far too much of a luxury for the Scotland Squads. We have far better players in England and the SPFL..ala big Chris the bulldozer Martin,  Barry the bullet Mckay,  James the magician Forrest..etc.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Mid-table La Liga. Might never break through there but wouldn't it be great to have Burke, Gauld and Harper all playing in quality leagues abroad?

2 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Plus Brighton have been having such a good season, it would always be hard to break in there

Malaga are 11th in La Liga, though. Just as tough a situation to break into as a Championship promotion contender, I'd say.

5 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Scores on his debut!

But the debut was for Atlético Malagueño - Malaga's development side, playing non-league. So, still a long road ahead of the lad. Good start tho.

The standard at that level is really quite poor. Until July I was living in a wee town in Andalucia called Torredonjimeno. I went to most of the home games of the local team who got promoted into Group 9 of La Tercera, the same division as Atlético Malagueño. The teams are all part time and I would reckon the level won't be any better than our League 2.

That said this is the division above and Atlético Malagueño are top. Also I'm sure Harper has been signed with a view to progressing into the first team at some point, but I'm not sure how the registering system works in Spanish football and if he'll be able to move to the first team during the season. I wouldn't read anything into how many goals he scores at this level though.