Takeover at Somerset

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much excitement would be engendered by a pragmatic approach ?

I don't have any problem with ambition, but if it's not based on reality then any boost will be short-lived once people realise they're not getting what's been promised.

If the reports that he wants to bring in Kenny Shiels as manager are true as well then that's a terrible first step. (Link)

Disgusted at myself for buying the Daily Mail to read this article, but here are some the key points:

• Clarke has first refusal on a deal to buy out Lachlan Cameron
  • Provided [the deal] is concluded in the coming days 'it is understood Shiels would take over... from Mark Roberts'
  • Clarke is in the process of selling his 10-acre, £1.8 million mansion in Northern Ireland in order to be hands-on at Somerset Park
  • Cameron is flying over from LA to finalise arrangements
  • On the crowd at Saturday's game (at which Shiels was Clarke's guest) "I'm prepared to fund this club back to the top flight but the stay-away fans are giving me second thoughts"

Sounds like Clarke is the source, so the obvious question is why. Perhaps he is looking for leverage.

Also 'in the process of selling' sounds a lot like 'can't sell at that price' to me.

Is he just expecting thousands of people to turn up as he "might" be buying the club?

Granted there was a bit of an insentive of the £1 per person added to the player fun, but im sure there weren't many people that got over excited by it, that would have went if they weren't already planning to.

Until there are some concrete developments that show were entering a new era of Ayr United history (how about PC era for post Cameron era :unsure2: ) then there isn't going to be much increase in crowd size. They only thing that will do that is putting out a winning team, playing decent football, at a decent level, in a decent environment (not necesarrily a new stadium but major improvements to Somerset would be a pull)

Is he just expecting thousands of people to turn up as he "might" be buying the club?

Granted there was a bit of an insentive of the £1 per person added to the player fun, but im sure there weren't many people that got over excited by it, that would have went if they weren't already planning to.

Until there are some concrete developments that show were entering a new era of Ayr United history (how about PC era for post Cameron era :unsure2: ) then there isn't going to be much increase in crowd size. They only thing that will do that is putting out a winning team, playing decent football, at a decent level, in a decent environment (not necesarrily a new stadium but major improvements to Somerset would be a pull)

That's the important point IMO. I can't go as often as I would like but I try to get home whenever I can and the body language and attitude of the fans seems to be that we are down to the bare bones who will turn up no matter what. To get lapsed fans back and to get new people to come to Somerset is going to need action from the club on the field of play and probably off it too.

Lapsed supporters to come out of the woodwork to support the creation of an idea that is a complete fabrication from somewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing's an elaborate wind up.

Lapsed supporters to come out of the woodwork to support the creation of an idea that is a complete fabrication from somewhere.

The involvement of Shiels may be a massive clue there.

How many stay-away or lapsed fans do a club like Ayr really have?

Dougie Rae made this mistake at Morton, thinking that an average attendance pushing 3000 in div2 would automatically turn into 4000 in div1. It turns out that the club continued with the same trend as it has done over the past 20-30 years - averaging up to 3000 when there's a real feel good factor, but down below 1500 when at a low ebb. Just because 8000 turn up for a div3 match, or 4000 travel for an away cup game, doesn't mean there are vast numbers of lapsed fans; I'm not sure dougie has ever understood this. Basing expectation of fanbase on anything other than the reality of average attendances over a number of years is a (potentially dangerous) fantasy.

Serious question here - is Ayr's fan base historically bigger than Kilmarnocks or roughly the same? What was it like late 80s/early 90s when we were both in the same division?

Kilmarnock have done a lot of the things you reckon would bring crowds in and yet they haven't really materialised.

Serious question here - is Ayr's fan base historically bigger than Kilmarnocks or roughly the same? What was it like late 80s/early 90s when we were both in the same division?

Kilmarnock have done a lot of the things you reckon would bring crowds in and yet they haven't really materialised.

I used to know an old bloke, who along with his mates, would go and watch whichever team were playing at home on a particular Saturday. This was in the 70's, when attendances were higher, people wore Flares, Glasses and had moustaches.

I don't really see why he'd spend thousands of pounds sponsoring the match + youth teams for an elaborate wind up.

http://www.fitbastats.com/ayrunited/club_records_league_attendance.php

Any serious attempts to up the average attendance will need to be from the bottom up: working with the town and local communities at every opportunity. Throwing money at a full time squad for a few years before packing it in in frustration (i.e. the alleged Plan A) is not going to work.

Archived