Takeover at Somerset

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ten thousand would be a doddle to sell to weegies. We get a million of them for a poke of chips and a look at the sea ffs. We would become brighton. An away day for packs of dicks down for a run about and a chippy. 10 k essential for a top 6 side of course challenging for the euro spots and big days. The comparison with Dunfermline is laughable. We are an attractive fixture. They're Fife

As far as I can gather, this guy is not an Ayr United supporter - he is from the south side of Glasgow.

Here's his blurb from the Carduus website.

Carduus (or Gilmour himself?) obviously see an investment opportunity with the land - that's what its all about. If he gets his 320 houses built, you can imagine that is a fair few quid in revenue. I just hope he has a plan for running the football club once he has made his money!

Someone said talks had been ongoing for almost a year with an interested party, it may have been Cameron during the last take-over bid

This looks pretty well advanced and I would assume this is the one he was talking about, Maybe one of the stumbling blocks is.......Why Ayr?

Cameron always said he would only sell to someone with the best interests of the club at heart and if he was looking for a fast exit we would be witnessing Hugh Clarks master plan just now.

It is maybe assurances that is the stumbling block.

I cant deny the plans sound exciting, its pumping in a lot of what we have been missing the past decade or so apart from cash... and thats ambition.

However, this guy is in the property business, is he really interested at all in the footballing business? As Tam O Shanter has mentioned guarantees have to be made that the stadium is built before housing is sold otherwise we will become the next club without a home.

Lachlan could have punted the club several times to the first person who came along and I reckon we would be in a worse state than we are now. I fully believe he has the best interests of the club at heart and if Brian Gilmour has the same then instead of paying a nifty architect a wad of cash to get the fans excited in the press and put pressure on Cameron to sell, satisfy the seller and get the deal done then showboat your masterplan. Until that time it will just be another Ayr United & Heathfield never ever story.

Since we are now over the "credit crunch", this news about Happy Gilmour got me thinking.

When the railway company based behind Somerset tried for planning permission, around the same time Barrat had "bought" Somerset for development, you just knew that that corner of Ayr was going to be a new scheme. However, the council knocked back the railway side (on 10 different reasons) A-J. These reasons seem to have been deleted from council website though. The main reason for refusal was "long term transport policy."

That is when the sheds looked like this.

post-19928-0-76472400-1419012802_thumb.j

However, things have moved on.....the sheds now look like this....all rails removed.

post-19928-0-86425600-1419012876_thumb.j

Also telling is the fact that those 10 reasons on refusal to build at Tryfield Place have been removed from the council website.
I'd be grateful if anyone can find them. 10 point refusals shouldn't just disappear like that.

So, Happy Gilmour has seen an opportunity....best of luck to him. At least he has splashed out ££££'s to show us plans.

The biggest draw back for this project is the amount of brownfield sites in this area. It's feckin' massive when you see the space the old stampworks and bakery has left behind.

Embarrassed for anyone that seriously thinks this is going to happen. Very few teams in Scottish football need a 10,000 seater stadium and Ayr United definitely are not one of them.

You think the most embarrassing thing that could come out of this is we will be left with some empty seats at home games?

"...... Brian Gilmour has 17 years experience in the Scottish property market with agency experience in both residential and commercial property. Prior to joining Carduus, Brian managed the Land & New Homes division of the Countrywide Group across their 40 Scottish branches. Brian is a Member of the Institute of Directors and also a Member of the Chartered Institute of Housing....".

Seems to me that...., translated...., Brian Gilmour has no money of his own, but as an agent he has links to people who do.

He will have zero personal interest in Ayr United, and neither do the figures behind him.

I'm far from your typical "a payoor hate eh Ayr bams" Kilmarnock supporter, and I in fact want to see Ayr succeed and make it to the Premiership one day. This isn't the way to do that though.

Property developers getting involved in football clubs are only doing so to benefit themselves. They'll tell the desperate/hopeful supporters everything they want to hear in order to get their way. The same happened with Kilmarnock and Marie Macklin. She spoke of all these grand plans and how she was going to save Killie. In reality, she wanted to sell off the land at Rugby Park and move us to a smaller stadium near Fenwick. Would the club have benefited financially from this? Would it buggery.

RE: the Ayr situation, you can guarantee that Gilmour's companies will have a controlling interest (at the very least) in the build at the current Somerset site, the housing at the proposed stadium site, the retail build at the proposed stadium site and plenty of other things aside. It's fairly obvious that in order for Ayr United to grow, that they need to move to a new purpose built stadium. 10,000 seats is as ludicrous as Kilmarnock's 18,128 but at least Killie were getting crowds a lot closer to that figure when our new stadium was being planned. Heathfield already has plenty of competition in terms of hotels/restaurants/shops etc so it would be a risk to try and use that as the club's main income stream.

Build a 5,000 seater stadium max with a 3G pitch and focus on helping Ayr's already fantastic youth set-up develop even more young players. That might not be as attention grabbing as Gilmour's plan, and might not get the nationwide coverage that this has, but it would provide a stable base for Ayr to build upon in the future. If these plans do come to fruition though, at least it'll end the chronic "Killie's grun is far too big lmao" patter from Tory-land.

Hopefully Ayr get the right men/women on board and get on the right path. Although with the way Killie are going at the moment we might be divisional buddies before much longer...

Embarrassed for anyone that seriously thinks this is going to happen. Very few teams in Scottish football need a 10,000 seater stadium and Ayr United definitely are not one of them.

Leaving the slagging of Ayr aside for a minute that's a bit unfair. Ayr have a reasonably large dormant support (much like ouselves) and I've no doubt an Ayr side at SPL level would pull in more than the likes of Inverness and St Johnstone currently do, never mind Accies. 10,000 is maybe about right dependant on the clubs ambitions.

Leaving the slagging of Ayr aside for a minute that's a bit unfair. Ayr have a reasonably large dormant support (much like ouselves) and I've no doubt an Ayr side at SPL level would pull in more than the likes of Inverness and St Johnstone currently do, never mind Accies. 10,000 is maybe about right dependant on the clubs ambitions.

Agree completely until that final part. 10,000 is a pie-in-the-sky figure.

To be discussing what Ayr could attract in the Premiership when they're currently fighting for their life in League One seems a bit strange in all honesty, but considering that their highest average attendance in recent times was around the 3000 mark in seasons 97/98, 98/99 you get an idea of what they'd be averaging nowadays. The last time that Ayr averaged close to 10,000 was in the 1970's. A lot has changed since the days of the late 90's, and the only time Ayr would get close to 10k would be for the visits of Rangers, Celtic and of course Kilmarnock.

Agree completely until that final part. 10,000 is a pie-in-the-sky figure.

To be discussing what Ayr could attract in the Premiership when they're currently fighting for their life in League One seems a bit strange in all honesty, but considering that their highest average attendance in recent times was around the 3000 mark in seasons 97/98, 98/99. The last time that Ayr averaged close to 10,000 was in the 1970's. A lot has changed since the days of the late 90's, and the only time Ayr would get close to 10k would be for the visits of Rangers, Celtic and of course Kilmarnock.

Keep in mind that a decent stadium can be used for Under 21's internationals and other non-club related games....it is other income that becomes available. You lot will ken that with having rugby at Rugby Park...even though its plastic.

Keep in mind that a decent stadium can be used for Under 21's internationals and other non-club related games....it is other income that becomes available. You lot will ken that with having rugby at Rugby Park...even though its plastic.

The question is then whether the extra cost involved would be made up by those few and far between 'extras'. St Mirren Park is the home of U21 football nowadays, so that can be ruled out. Rugby Park was used by the SRU as it gave them the size they wanted, with good proximity to the hotel for use of its rooms and facilities.

A way around it could be to make half the stadium safe standing though. That might encourage a few extra bodies through the doors, and if you're starting from scratch you may as well give the fans what they want.

The question is then whether the extra cost involved would be made up by those few and far between 'extras'. St Mirren Park is the home of U21 football nowadays, so that can be ruled out. Rugby Park was used by the SRU as it gave them the size they wanted, with good proximity to the hotel for use of its rooms and facilities.

A way around it could be to make half the stadium safe standing though. That might encourage a few extra bodies through the doors, and if you're starting from scratch you may as well give the fans what they want.

I agree with safe standing.

Let's face it, a new Somerset with 4 x 2,500 seated stands, rarely be any need to open any more than one stand. 2 x stands with seats and 2 x standing areas would be much more sensible. I can't see Gilmour's plans ever happening to be honest. The hooses would go up and then he'd tangled himself up in red tape, never mind the council.

Archived