Politics & football

Currently in the process of writing a piece on the relationship between football & politics and how the governing bodies stop this marriage occurring during matches (the most recent example being the £15k fine handed out to St Johnstone after a fan was seen waving a Palestine flag during an Europa League fixture).

Was hoping to gather some opinions from fans of various clubs as to how they felt about political messages being broadcast from fans during games. Particularly would like to hear views from Rangers and Celtic fans, as they are perhaps two of the most politically active clubs in Scotland, as well as St Johnstone fans on their recent fine.

My email is daniel.morrow@strath.ac.uk. This piece will be in the freshers edition of the Strathclyde Telegraph as well as on our website (www.strathclydetelegraph.com)

Your help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

"Politically active" is some euphemism for the Old Firm :lol: Poltically active = waving a bunch of flegs around about concering ancient conflicts, whilst the city they watch fooball in is amongst the lowest voter turnout in the UK?

Depends for me. If the Hibs support were to rally around some community issue and act on it, I'd have no problem. Even though they seem like a bunch of pretentious wanks, St Pauli fans have demonstrated against the local authority and club developing land, which would see rents rise in the area, and it's worked. Their pomposity is generally annoying but that's an admirable bit of poltics and football coming together.

If people started waving about political party flags, I'd be annoyed.

Currently in the process of writing a piece on the relationship between football & politics and how the governing bodies stop this marriage occurring during matches (the most recent example being the £15k fine handed out to St Johnstone after a fan was seen waving a Palestine flag during an Europa League fixture).

Was hoping to gather some opinions from fans of various clubs as to how they felt about political messages being broadcast from fans during games. Particularly would like to hear views from Rangers and Celtic fans, as they are perhaps two of the most politically active clubs in Scotland, as well as St Johnstone fans on their recent fine.

My email is daniel.morrow@strath.ac.uk. This piece will be in the freshers edition of the Strathclyde Telegraph as well as on our website (www.strathclydetelegraph.com)

Your help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

whit school did yae go tae?

This is going well...

Did UEFA ever fine any club for the display of ANC flags during the apartheid era?

I think they shifted over to UPS. a bit more reliable, and they always leave the parcel with a neighbour if you're not in.

Political leaflets were being handed out on the streets around Cappielow today.I don't agree with this - keep it away from the football.

Football should only be concerned with football - related politics.

Racism, gay rights are two acceptable examples.

Flegs . No.

Gren Brigaid . No.

Archived