Laptop Advice

KD1711

Hi all,

Got rid of my old Sony VAIO there after 3 years, and looking to get a decent laptop. What's the best going around just now between £350-450 region. I mainly use the laptop for playing FM, surfing the net and playing the occasional game of poker.

Any help appreciated on decent laptops for the above guys.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than having your fellow P&Bers do all the leg work, why not have a look at laptops within your price range on popular websites such as Ebuyer, Amazon etc. and when you've narrowed them down based on their looks, size, weight etc. post them on here and then people can tell which one is giving you the most bang for your buck.

Although the general rule of thumb is to avoid the likes of Currys, PC World etc. their websites will at least give you an idea of what's available on the market and you can look elsewhere and probably find the same model cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Got rid of my old Sony VAIO there after 3 years, and looking to get a decent laptop. What's the best going around just now between £350-450 region. I mainly use the laptop for playing FM, surfing the net and playing the occasional game of poker.

Any help appreciated on decent laptops for the above guys.

If your laptop is working fine then why bother if it can already cope with your needs ?, you can mibees upgrade a few bits on it for over £100 to make it run faster like adding in an SSD drive or add extra and faster memory so it works faster than it already is.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No. Do you really need a device like that? A similarly specd laptop would set you back half the price and with a bigger screen

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced laptop to play sims4,daughter wants one for Christmas,I went to PC world and the salesman told me I needed a laptop that cost £900 .any advice would be very welcome as I'm not the most knowledgeable with computers.

:lol:

The one I linked too will run it but probably quite slowly. My daughter plays Sims 3 which I'll be installing on it, probably tonight, so I'll let you know. 4, I think, though will need a bit more

You shouldnt need to spend than £400 or so to be able to play it reasonable well on low/med settings

I just ordered one of these for my daughters Christmas

clicky

ETA - what do you want to do with it though?

You might just have answered the question I came here to ask !!

Looking for a £200-ish laptop for Ned Jnr's Christmas - he won't be playing games on it or anything just general surfing, youtube etc. Our current laptop is HP and the first thing I found online was an HP Stream but I like the look of the one you linked !

Take it you'd recommend it !?

Thanks in advance etc.

Carrying on from my last post, could anyone with any knowledge of these things give an honest opinion of these three laptops:

Asus X200MA Touch

HP 255 G3 Quad Core Laptop

HP Stream 14

It's for Ned Jnr's Christmas - doesn't need to run powerful games but should be able to stream youtube etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Carrying on from my last post, could anyone with any knowledge of these things give an honest opinion of these three laptops:

Asus X200MA Touch

HP 255 G3 Quad Core Laptop

HP Stream 14

It's for Ned Jnr's Christmas - doesn't need to run powerful games but should be able to stream youtube etc.

Any advice appreciated.

I would say, of the three, the one I bought (the G3) is the better one. Certainly it has the higher spec. The first one might be worth considering, though, depending on how old Ned Jnr is and whether or not you think he'd be better off with a smaller screen and a touchscreen.

I started setting up the one I bought last night. Havent installed anything on it, but moving between apps and general web browsing was quick enough

I would say, of the three, the one I bought (the G3) is the better one. Certainly it has the higher spec. The first one might be worth considering, though, depending on how old Ned Jnr is and whether or not you think he'd be better off with a smaller screen and a touchscreen.

I started setting up the one I bought last night. Havent installed anything on it, but moving between apps and general web browsing was quick enough

I've ordered the G3 - should get it tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice ... seems to be just what we were looking for at a decent price to boot !

I've ordered the G3 - should get it tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice ... seems to be just what we were looking for at a decent price to boot !

No problem :)

Im just keeping my fingers crossed that Sims3 and Minecraft run ok on it. Otherwise, I'll have a second hand one to sell!

Im just keeping my fingers crossed that Sims3 and Minecraft run ok on it. Otherwise, I'll have a second hand one to sell!

I saw reviews where folk were suggesting that it would run Minecraft but no-one who'd actually bought one was stating as much ... would be interesting to see how you get on anyhoo.

Fwiw I've just bought a second one for my daughter's Christmas as she's just stated she wouldn't like a telly which is what she was going to get !

Surely Minecraft will run on it, it is the shittiest looking game of all time! I have to buy my niece Minecraft for her Xmas as she's getting a laptop, I just assumed Minecraft would play on anything, I recommended a laptop to my sister and now I am not sure if it will run.

Surely Minecraft will run on it, it is the shittiest looking game of all time! I have to buy my niece Minecraft for her Xmas as she's getting a laptop, I just assumed Minecraft would play on anything, I recommended a laptop to my sister and now I am not sure if it will run.

Yeah, Im sure it will. She does tend to have a few mods installed to though which will slow it down. Its more about how much slower its going to be than the PC she uses just now.

It might not look great but theres a fair amount going on given the way the worlds are rendered and can be changed

The minimum specs arent very high though - clicky

Archived