Anyone know the best route into junior football from amateurs?

rclyde91

If you are playing amateur at a high level you'll more than likely have Junior teams watching your games, if you stand out somebody will pick you up. There are a few teams who hold open trials in the summer too, if you keep an eye on here most of them will stick a notice on about it.

Decent advice guys! Is the step up to junior a lot different in terms of fitness, Attitude, quality etc?

Slight step up in terms of fitness, but in terms of quality the lower league junior teams are pretty comparable to amateur teams and indeed you'll find these teams have to supplement their squad with players who really are only good enough for amateur football and will never make any progress.

Attitude is probably the hardest part to adjust to, I know myself having played amateur you can have a bad game and then be joking about it with your teammates over a pint an hour later. But in juniors the manager's are so highly strung for fear of the sack that you'll still be getting rollockings at the Wednesday training, it can be difficult at times to drag yourself along where the atmosphere is so tense and there is no real enjoyment. You can go weeks without even getting a game at training, it's just monotonous drilling.

I hope that doesn't put you off, but with the higher stakes everything in the juniors is a bit more extreme, including the good times of course! Nothing in amateurs will compare to an away day at Irvine Meadow as an example, days like that make it all worth it.

Get in touch with your local team my friend, teams will arrange friendlies when they have a free week or if they have a large squad to give boys game time, players returning from injury etc, there is also an ideal opportunity to blood trialists to show what they can do. Teams will never turn you down to come along and train trust me.

In terms of quality depends on the level you are currently playing at, attitude and application is key and in terms of fitness again depends on the individual, as you move up the leagues the majority of the boys will look after themselves outwith training ie gym etc

Good luck :thumsup2

it can be difficult at times to drag yourself along where the atmosphere is so tense and there is no real enjoyment. You can go weeks without even getting a game at training, it's just monotonous drilling.

you base this piece of info on what ???...Have you experienced the training at every junior club ??? RCLYDE91 ,I wouldnt take JT-92 advice as gospel.

Slight step up in terms of fitness, but in terms of quality the lower league junior teams are pretty comparable to amateur teams and indeed you'll find these teams have to supplement their squad with players who really are only good enough for amateur football and will never make any progress.

Attitude is probably the hardest part to adjust to, I know myself having played amateur you can have a bad game and then be joking about it with your teammates over a pint an hour later. But in juniors the manager's are so highly strung for fear of the sack that you'll still be getting rollockings at the Wednesday training, it can be difficult at times to drag yourself along where the atmosphere is so tense and there is no real enjoyment. You can go weeks without even getting a game at training, it's just monotonous drilling.

I hope that doesn't put you off, but with the higher stakes everything in the juniors is a bit more extreme, including the good times of course! Nothing in amateurs will compare to an away day at Irvine Meadow as an example, days like that make it all worth it.

it can be difficult at times to drag yourself along where the atmosphere is so tense and there is no real enjoyment. You can go weeks without even getting a game at training, it's just monotonous drilling.

you base this piece of info on what ???...Have you experienced the training at every junior club ??? RCLYDE91 ,I wouldnt take JT-92 advice as gospel.

Of course not I maybe did get a bit carried away to be honest trying to make a point, but I'm sure there are other junior players who can testify that during the bad spells you spend as much time at training talking about previous performances than actual training, and then the actual training is concentrated on boring stuff such as defensive shape etc. I meant to point out it is not the most enjoyable at times, whereas having played amateur I know the training is and will involve more small sided games, shooting drills etc.

Jonno McManus?

Scored a barrow load for the ams when we played in the same team.

Indeed - and now a regular at full back for us. His attitude is second to none and he's one of the dying breed of 'old school' players who would run through a brick wall if asked. A top boy and proof that players can certainly make the move up to the Juniors if they're made of the right stuff.

Indeed - and now a regular at full back for us. His attitude is second to none and he's one of the dying breed of 'old school' players who would run through a brick wall if asked. A top boy and proof that players can certainly make the move up to the Juniors if they're made of the right stuff.

Aye stood out a mile in the ams buggsy too, do you know if they ever played together for the star?

Decent advice guys! Is the step up to junior a lot different in terms of fitness, Attitude, quality etc?

Take in a few games at different levels if you can That will also give you a good idea.

Archived