South America backpacking

Latino Lover

12 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I agree. This is a 'planned tour' on one of the sites, not something that I have planned myself, that's why I was saying I'd prefer to do a similar trip but over a longer period. Those are the destinations I'd want to go to though.

You don't have to "do" the whole continent in one go. You'd mainly be getting to know the airports and buses.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't have to "do" the whole continent in one go. You'd mainly be getting to know the airports and buses.

Don't have to, but it's a long, expensive trip to get over there to do multiple trips. I only really want to spend a few days in Buenos Aires and Santiago and the rest of the time do a bit more in Brazil and Peru.

Right now Venezuela's very high on my list of countries to stay the f**k away from.

I've never been to South America, but when I worked in Guatemala I met loads of people who'd toured it and around 90% of the time folk said their favourite countries were Colombia and Bolivia. Nobody got excited over Brazil.

Spanish is a very easy language to pick up, especially if you've studied the token Standard Grade French.  There are very few countries I've visited which I spoke the native language of, other than a handful of pleasantries, and I got by fine in them all.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Right now Venezuela's very high on my list of countries to stay the f**k away from.

I've never been to South America, but when I worked in Guatemala I met loads of people who'd toured it and around 90% of the time folk said their favourite countries were Colombia and Bolivia. Nobody got excited over Brazil.

Spanish is a very easy language to pick up, especially if you've studied the token Standard Grade French.  There are very few countries I've visited which I spoke the native language of, other than a handful of pleasantries, and I got by fine in them all.

I briefly met a guy who did one one of the Rough Guide editions on Latin America who said Colombia was his favourite. He also said Costa Rica was the most boring.

I'd recommend Buenos Aires as well. Stayed in Recoleta and Palermo Soho when I visited. Palermo was pretty awesome, although as with every South American country you need to be aware of where you're walking, day and night. Definitely brush up on your Spanish. You'll need it.

If you really want to go off the beaten foreign tourist trap then Salta and Jujuy provinces in the north west are well worth visiting. Some of the landscapes are pretty stunning and the Andean culture is the polar opposite of what you'd find in BA. I hired a car and drove into the desert to Purmamarca, then on to the Salinas Grandes salt flats. Was brilliant, but was stopped by the police and army at several checkpoints - again, Spanish necessary. I did feel a lot safer in that part of the country than BA though.

purmamarca.jpg

1200px-Hornocal.JPG

photo-28.jpg

20130830.Tour-Salta-Cafayate.upd.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi there,

I'm looking to travel from Brazil to Argentina next year and have started looking into the planning. The route I'm looking to take is from Rio to Buenos Aires.

Stops along the way I would like to take are :- Ihla Grande, Paraty, Sao Paulo and Iguazu Falls. I would also like to include either an Amazon or Pantalan visit if possible. With the size of the country it is looking pretty hard to do or at least expensive to do. I have around 3 weeks all in for the travel. Has anyone done anything similar? What is the public transport routes like? I see there are a lot of buses with sleeper class which could be an option at some points.

When in BA, I'll be hoping to take in a River Plate / Boca game depending on the fixtures - is it recommended to go with a guide or can you go yourself? 

Previously we have used tour groups for Africa / Asia; but we're looking to do this one alone to save some costs and suit the travel to our needs.

Cheers.

Hi there,
I'm looking to travel from Brazil to Argentina next year and have started looking into the planning. The route I'm looking to take is from Rio to Buenos Aires.
Stops along the way I would like to take are :- Ihla Grande, Paraty, Sao Paulo and Iguazu Falls. I would also like to include either an Amazon or Pantalan visit if possible. With the size of the country it is looking pretty hard to do or at least expensive to do. I have around 3 weeks all in for the travel. Has anyone done anything similar? What is the public transport routes like? I see there are a lot of buses with sleeper class which could be an option at some points.
When in BA, I'll be hoping to take in a River Plate / Boca game depending on the fixtures - is it recommended to go with a guide or can you go yourself? 
Previously we have used tour groups for Africa / Asia; but we're looking to do this one alone to save some costs and suit the travel to our needs.
Cheers.
Start learning a wee bit of Portugese and Spanish wouod be my first tip especially if you will be using local buses etc.Most of the locals away from tourist areas will have little or no english.Rio to Ba is a well trodden backpackers route but to save time there are plenty of low cost carriers down there https://m.voegol.com.br/ ive used a few times and they are comparable with easyjet.If you have a chance take the ferry from Ba to montivedo.And as for the football you can pick tickets up down there,my hotel arranged them for the chocolate box but its well worth paying extra to sit in the stand as behind the goal is mental

14 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Start learning a wee bit of Portugese and Spanish wouod be my first tip especially if you will be using local buses etc.Most of the locals away from tourist areas will have little or no english.Rio to Ba is a well trodden backpackers route but to save time there are plenty of low cost carriers down there https://m.voegol.com.br/ ive used a few times and they are comparable with easyjet.If you have a chance take the ferry from Ba to montivedo.And as for the football you can pick tickets up down there,my hotel arranged them for the chocolate box but its well worth paying extra to sit in the stand as behind the goal is mental

Thanks for getting back. IIRC, it was you I spoke to before going to Zimbabwe / South Africa.

I have joined a night class in Portuguese at Glasgow Uni so hopefully that will be enough to teach me the basics. Thanks for the link to GOL - just noticed you can get flights in and around each country for £40-60 each way. Makes far more sense than a 15 hour bus journey. As part of my route I plan to visit Iguassu falls and cross the border there to start my travel at the other country. Is it easy to cross the border there? (i.e. Fly B.A. To Igu Argentina, spend 3 days then fly from Igu Brazil to Sao Paulo.)

How did you find the nightlife of the trip? The odd blowout on our travels is inevitable and wouldn't mind stopping somewhere on route if you can recommend. We had looked at finishing at Buzios for a few nights.

Thanks for getting back. IIRC, it was you I spoke to before going to Zimbabwe / South Africa.

I have joined a night class in Portuguese at Glasgow Uni so hopefully that will be enough to teach me the basics. Thanks for the link to GOL - just noticed you can get flights in and around each country for £40-60 each way. Makes far more sense than a 15 hour bus journey. As part of my route I plan to visit Iguassu falls and cross the border there to start my travel at the other country. Is it easy to cross the border there? (i.e. Fly B.A. To Igu Argentina, spend 3 days then fly from Igu Brazil to Sao Paulo.)

How did you find the nightlife of the trip? The odd blowout on our travels is inevitable and wouldn't mind stopping somewhere on route if you can recommend. We had looked at finishing at Buzios for a few nights.

Yeah very easy to cross the border there.Great shout on Buzios its the Monaco of Brazil without the tax breaks.Basically the rich and famous of Brazil live there and my mate Gary who is from annan.In his neighbourhood theres a good few ex footballers ie Romario who his kids play with his kids in the street.Lovely bit of coastline all around Cabo Frio etc.its a massive cafe culture all up n down that bit of coast but just remember its not just hail a cab at the end of the night and go back to your digs as transport in the area i found to be poor(might have improved havent been there for 4 years)The falls are spectacular you will be impressed,cracking trip again you have planned

Bit far away from your route but Salvador is the best for nightlife in Brazil,its where Brazilians go to party and the best carnival

Archived