South America backpacking

Latino Lover

Considering trip to South america next year, Argentina top of my list particularly Football in BA and visiting the Welsh part of Patagonia. Also would like to travel up to Peru via Chile and Bolivia ideally. Anybody done anything similar? It'll take a while I'd imagine so will probably have to leave job which doesn't bother me much.

Any feedback welcome, cheers.

Went from Rio to Ushuia and back up to Santiago, Argentina is a wonderful country and BA a fantastic city, Go to Torres Del Paine, climb the ice coverd volcano in Pucon (you get down by sliding on your arse with an ice pick for a break, heavy fun). Puerto Madryn isn't that spectacular as a town but the Valdes Peninsula nearby has all kinds of cool shit (check what animals are about at the time of year you're there). Mendoza has a nice vibe. Chile a bit more formal, developed and expensive than Argentina, Brazil the opposite.

Oh and Iguazu Falls, particularly from the Argentinian side, one of those natural wonders that really is a wonder.

Went from Rio to Ushuia and back up to Santiago, Argentina is a wonderful country and BA a fantastic city, Go to Torres Del Paine, climb the ice coverd volcano in Pucon (you get down by sliding on your arse with an ice pick for a break, heavy fun). Puerto Madryn isn't that spectacular as a town but the Valdes Peninsula nearby has all kinds of cool shit (check what animals are about at the time of year you're there). Mendoza has a nice vibe. Chile a bit more formal, developed and expensive than Argentina, Brazil the opposite.

Oh and Iguazu Falls, particularly from the Argentinian side, one of those natural wonders that really is a wonder.

Second Iguazu from the Argentinian side, amazing!

I've only been to Peru, but there it certainly was necessary outwith Lima and Machu Picchu.

I'm hoping my Portuguese can carry me most of the way. There's a lot of similarities and basic understandings between the two I think (hope).

Went in 2011 to Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru, Chile, and Paraguay although the latter two only for 48 hours and a morning respectively so not too much to say about them.

Rio, Paraty, Florianopolis all great, Iguassu falls from both sides although the Argie side is better. Rio is pretty expensive though so wouldn’t spend more than 4 /5 days there which is enough to see everything and still have a bit of lounging / party time.

Argentina- Buenos Aires is obviously great too (although I nearly did get mugged, shit like that does happen), you can go on organised tours to a game which deal with the hassle of transport as none of the grounds are really central and some are fcking miles out- I'd guess you'd be wanting to see Boca / River but sod's law for me when I was there was they were both away from home, ended up seeing (new Libertadores champs) San Lorenzo which was also a pretty mental atmosphere. Everyone will have their own favourite steak restaurant but I don't think you'll find a bad one.

I went to Ushuaia as well, middle of their winter which was absolutely stunning. Considered an Antartcic trip as well to say I'd set foot on every continent but was just about two zeroes on the end too expensive...

Peru- Inca Trail / Machu Picchu obvious target, though I think it's closed in February. Cuzco also well worth a stay as you leave for MP from there, bit of a party town. I went into the rainforest at Puerto Madero which was ace as well.

Wouldn't leave out Uruguay, Montevideo is only a couple of hours on the ferry from BsAs and is a great city, you can go to the Uruguayan football museum at the stadium where the first World Cup was held. Plus Uruguay was a lot cheaper although I think the exchange rate in Argentina has gone tits in the last 3 years- in our favour so might not be as much.

Obviously internal flights are necessary to get most places (e.g. it's a 4hr flight from BsAs to Ushuaia which is in the same country) but I don't recall them being too expensive. Did an overnight bus to / from Iguassu which was surprisingly comfy with seats that reclined almost to a bed but when all said and done it's still 15 hours on a bus.

Would strongly recommend learning at least basic Spanish, although be aware that even if you do, the accent and some of the words are markedly different. Bit like learning American English then coming to Scotland. I found the Peruvians the easiest to understand and the Argies in Buenos Aires the hardest, they don’t really pronounce the letter S as you’d expect them to. Same goes for Portuguese, I only learned a tiny bit but having a reasonable amount of Spanish meant I was able to read quite a few things even if the listening or speaking was tricky.

So in short, aye, go. It’s brilliant.

If you get the chance Angel Falls is well worth a visit.

You need to get yourself to Cuidad Bolivar on the River Orinoco.......loads of trips offered from there in the backpacker hostels. It's a 3-4day trip in which you're driven South to an airfield where you fly on a cesna into an airstrip in the middle of the jungle! you then travel upriver to the falls......what an epic sight they are!

The rest of Venezuela was a bit meh to be honest.

Went to Venezuela 7 years ago when the copa America was on, had flights booked out to angel falls, got mugged at gunpoint off police after 4 days and fucked off home feeling lucky to be alive. All I saw was Caracas, no desire to go back to Venezuela following that and I know Colombia has changed but think I'll steer clear too.

Some great replies, thanks guys.

Went to Venezuela 7 years ago when the copa America was on, had flights booked out to angel falls, got mugged at gunpoint off police after 4 days and fucked off home feeling lucky to be alive. All I saw was Caracas, no desire to go back to Venezuela following that and I know Colombia has changed but think I'll steer clear too.

Some great replies, thanks guys.

Ahh......you also had to pay the bribe huh?!

We got stopped at a Military checkpoint en route to Merida in the Andes & the soldier getting more and more irrate as I kept producing the required documents eventually said "listen, it's a poor Country and I'm really hungry!" 20000Bolivars later we were on our way again!

Don't take it personally mate......just a different culture out there......but Angel Falls is a fcuking epic trip.

We were warned not to go to Colombia by a Colombian hotel owner! We were driving a brand new 4x4 which the Guerrilas (sp) would have killed us for@

What's public transport like? Vague plans of going in the next year or so and was thinking of buying an old motor bike over there, Che Guevara style.

Internal flights pretty expensive. Virtually no trains. Buses very good though, air con, reclining seats, loads of room, etc.

Got my pocket dipped at Santiago bus station though :(

• 3 years later...

Really interested in visiting South America, although probably have to save up as it seems pricey. The places I'd love to see are Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru and have seen a trip that covers all in 20 days (seems short) but will cost about 5k. Is it better doing a planned tour like that or trying to do it yourself?

46 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Really interested in visiting South America, although probably have to save up as it seems pricey. The places I'd love to see are Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru and have seen a trip that covers all in 20 days (seems short) but will cost about 5k. Is it better doing a planned tour like that or trying to do it yourself?

I hired a 4x4 to travel round Venezuela back in 2002 and found it all a bit underwhelming tbh. Expensive and had to have the motor off the road in a secure car park before it got dark for fear of it being stolen. An organised trip may be less stressful. 

Going on a safari in Africa is far better value for money in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I did Peru & Brazil (popped into Argentina) in 2013. We were away i think 27 days in total

17 days in Peru starting in Lima, then Nazca, Arequippa, Colca Canyon, Cusco, Inca Trail, Cusco.

Flew out of Cusco to Foz do Igauacu and saw the Iguazu falls from the Brazillian and Argentinian sides (Argentinian side is a must)

Then flew to Rio for a few days before home.

Loved it, particularly Peru which I'd recommend to anyone. I'd like to go back one day and do Bolivia & Chile.

We ended up doing a package for Peru as we thought it was the best way to get as much in with all our travel sorted. In general it was great, staying in decent accomodation etc. A lot of travelling though, with extended periods in the bus. We sorted ourselves for the remainder.

20 days is a pretty rapid trip to cover 4 countries. Is the Brazil/Argentina part at Igazu Falls, as that counts as 1 stop tbh. Trailfinders is quite good to go in and put together a pre-planned trip to at least give you an idea on places to visit etc. You could then go and try and replicate by organising yourself directly and see what savings you can get.

Did a touristy trip to Venezueala back in 2002, 2 weeks on the Island of Margahrita, which was pretty much standard 5 star caribbean resort fair, but did a 2 day Angel falls trip, which included a day on a dug out canoe up a tributary of the  orinocco the flights in a little plane, to see angel falls, and a stop at Caniama falls and Sapo and Sapito which was also stunning. Seems to be quite a few hotels at Caniama Lagoon now, was only one when we went. 

28 minutes ago, gkneil said:

I did Peru & Brazil (popped into Argentina) in 2013. We were away i think 27 days in total

17 days in Peru starting in Lima, then Nazca, Arequippa, Colca Canyon, Cusco, Inca Trail, Cusco.

Flew out of Cusco to Foz do Igauacu and saw the Iguazu falls from the Brazillian and Argentinian sides (Argentinian side is a must)

Then flew to Rio for a few days before home.

Loved it, particularly Peru which I'd recommend to anyone. I'd like to go back one day and do Bolivia & Chile.

We ended up doing a package for Peru as we thought it was the best way to get as much in with all our travel sorted. In general it was great, staying in decent accomodation etc. A lot of travelling though, with extended periods in the bus. We sorted ourselves for the remainder.

20 days is a pretty rapid trip to cover 4 countries. Is the Brazil/Argentina part at Igazu Falls, as that counts as 1 stop tbh. Trailfinders is quite good to go in and put together a pre-planned trip to at least give you an idea on places to visit etc. You could then go and try and replicate by organising yourself directly and see what savings you can get.

The itinerary for the planned one is:

Day 1 - Arrive Rio

2+3 - Rio

4- Travel to Igassu Falls and do Brazil Side

5 - Cross border and do Argentinian side

6 - Travel to Buenos Aires

7+8 - Buenos Aires

9 - Travel to Santiago

10+11 - Santiago

12 - Travel to Lima

13 - Lima

14 - Travel to Cusco and Sacred Valley

15 - Sacred Valley

16 - Travel to Machu Picchu 

17 - Back to Cusco

18 - Cusco

19 - Back to Lima

20 - Lima 

21 - Head home.

If planning myself I'd probably like an extra day in each of the main cities, maybe make it a 25 day rather than 20 day, although taking 90% of my annual leave entitlement in one go might be difficult.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The itinerary for the planned one is:

Day 1 - Arrive Rio

2+3 - Rio

4- Travel to Igassu Falls and do Brazil Side

5 - Cross border and do Argentinian side

6 - Travel to Buenos Aires

7+8 - Buenos Aires

9 - Travel to Santiago

10+11 - Santiago

12 - Travel to Lima

13 - Lima

14 - Travel to Cusco and Sacred Valley

15 - Sacred Valley

16 - Travel to Machu Picchu 

17 - Back to Cusco

18 - Cusco

19 - Back to Lima

20 - Lima 

21 - Head home.

If planning myself I'd probably like an extra day in each of the main cities, maybe make it a 25 day rather than 20 day, although taking 90% of my annual leave entitlement in one go might be difficult.

I'd definitely consider upping your time in Rio. We did Rio at the end for 5 days which allowed us to see everything wee felt was worth seeing and a final day just relaxing at the beach. Reverse for you finishing in Lima though in terms of relaxing before the flight home. We had a couple of days in Lima at the beginning and that was plenty for us, so you might find you don't need to add to that.

Couple of things that jump out at me for your trip is that you could be travelling for 40+% of your trip and much of your time will be spent in major cities . Travel time can't be helped given the number of locations you'll be going to but that is a pretty hectic schedule. We decided to focus on one country (Peru) so we could see as much as possible of city, desert, mountains/canyons and included walking the Inca trail. Not a jungle person so left out any Amazon visits.

We also started in Lima and then after the Inca Trail we flew from Cusco to Igaszu. If you can, check if you can go from Santiago to Cusco directly (altitude sickness could hit doing that) as that would cut some travelling. If you absolutely want to go to Buenos Aries and Santiago then keep them in, but if there's nothing specific you want to see there, maybe try and drop one/both to increase Rio/Peru days.

Archived