18th September - Your plans?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm meant to be playing a gig that night, but one of the guys had said he doesn't want to play on polling night, probably because he's a twitchy b*****d at the best of times, he'll be a fucking wreck on the 18th. I would have been happy to play that night. Might see if the other guy wants to play it for a laugh. Both bandmates are Yes campaigners. I think I'd rather play it, have a couple of ciders and go straight to bed afterwards so I can just get the result in the morning.

I'm probably going to vote whenever I fucking feel like it, preferably at a quieter time to avoid the inevitable gatherings of shouty NCC warriors in kilts outside the polling stations.

On the night I'll hopefully be out getting trolleyed with my mates. I'll come in steaming at around 4am* and if it's a No I'm going to have an absolute field day given how seething the Yes types will be.

If it's a Yes I'll take my (well deserved) ripping from the Yes lads and then get on with it I guess.

You're not allowed to campaign outside polling stations like that.

I'm on holiday hence my need for a postal vote this time. I'm supposed to be out in the Hebrides with a few like minded friends, however my mum has just been told she's terminal cancer and may have not long to live. Can see the whole thing being pretty sobering even if the vote does go the way I want.

I know exactly how you feel. My gran was rushed into hospital the night before the European Elections. We were in hospital all the next day and night - didn't vote for the first time in my life. She passed away on the Saturday morning. Didn't get any better as my Grandad (her husband) died in hospital 8 days later.

My heart goes out to you.

You're not allowed to campaign outside polling stations like that.

Are you sure about that? Is that a referendum specific thing?

At elections it's fairly common for a local activist from each of the main parties to stand outside polling stations drumming up support. It's always only one person though, and I believe they're only allowed to wear a rosette, no posters or campaign materials etc

Are you sure about that? Is that a referendum specific thing?

At elections it's fairly common for a local activist from each of the main parties to stand outside polling stations drumming up support. It's always only one person though, and I believe they're only allowed to wear a rosette, no posters or campaign materials etc

Campaign being the word. One person and you are not allowed to do much at all.

Campaign being the word. One person and you are not allowed to do much at all.

Must be changed days (rules). It's been 18 years since I was politically active but there were no limitations of the number of people or signs outside a voting station.

You were not allowed to attach anything to the walls (or fences) of the buildings or to other civic property (i.e. lamp posts) and you were not allowed to in intimidate potential voters, naturally. But other than that no restrictions.

I'll be working to cover colleagues who are working the polling stations, but took the 19th off. Probably get home around 3:30, go and vote Yes then I'm at college from 6pm til 9pm. Agreed to meet up with fellow Yes campaigners for a night on the piss in Firewater straight after college. Hopefully collapse in a heap as soon as I get home to then wake up to an overwhelming Yes vote ^_^

I'm in at work on 18th and that'll be the best place for me as it'll help take my mind of things.

19th has been booked as a holiday, naturally.

I'll vote first thing in the morning.

My usual routine for election nights is to sit with just me and a bottle of whisky in peace and quiet, but we're going to invite a few friends round to try and turn it into a good night. I'm also thinking it'll help to take the edge of things.

Even now, I've got that weird feeling that you get in anticipation of an upcoming holiday -- cannae ****ing wait.

If it's a Yes, it'll be a bit of a session for the next few days (and it will be a Yes).

Rotten situation, mate, f**k all I can say, but thanks for replying.

That's horrendous, sorry to hear that dude. Hope she's as comfortable as she can be.

I know exactly how you feel. My gran was rushed into hospital the night before the European Elections. We were in hospital all the next day and night - didn't vote for the first time in my life. She passed away on the Saturday morning. Didn't get any better as my Grandad (her husband) died in hospital 8 days later.

My heart goes out to you.

Cheers boys :)

I am up early and voting.

Then I need to spend the day at home acting as polling day armadale hub for yes activists. Providing coffee, meeting place and a rest place for the guys who are out there.

Then I put the kids to bed, wait for my wife to get in from her day at polling stations.

Once my sister then arrives to babysit me and my wife are off to the West Lothian count.

Going to be a long but exciting night I suspect.

Archived