All things Dundee FC

He finished the season in the top ten. The Modern Fitba twitter page (@ModernFitba) had a map up of the most common position that the top ten xA leaders assisted from. 
Deacons was interesting, as even though he's a winger, he's more likely to assist from a central position. 
DeYO4rEX4AAkJbG.jpeg.9fd4088cade9d6ce31c5a13a920a494f.jpeg
Doesn't mean he's most likely to assist from there, it just is the middle of the dataset.

30 minutes ago, harry94 said:
3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
He finished the season in the top ten. The Modern Fitba twitter page (@ModernFitba) had a map up of the most common position that the top ten xA leaders assisted from. 
Deacons was interesting, as even though he's a winger, he's more likely to assist from a central position. 
DeYO4rEX4AAkJbG.jpeg.9fd4088cade9d6ce31c5a13a920a494f.jpeg

Doesn't mean he's most likely to assist from there, it just is the middle of the dataset.

So his assists came from both sides? 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So his assists came from both sides? 

He switched wings quite a lot so very possible, we don't really know unless we see the whole data set. It could literally be just one expected assist inside and the rest being out wide.

Just now, Juantwothree said:

Out of curiosity does anybody know how many chances Deacon created? Because for it to be n assist the player at other end has to score so it's not a fair reflection of how well a player is doing. 

That's what is discussed above. They use'expected goals' which is basically when a striker is in a position that they would normally be expected to score in and then 'expected assists' for when a player has set up chances that would normally be expected to be finished. Someone has calculated it and put Deacon in the top ten of players in the league - don't see the actual number though.

For what it's worth, I thought he had an OK enough season and has shown signs of promise for this year - he'd have really raked the assists up if he had a Hemmings or that to play off of and would have gotten a lot more praise. There have been a few games where he's ripped teams apart and caused them huge issues. Hearts away for example, we played this really awkward system where he was inside and he didn't really get involved at all in the first half. We then made a tactical switch (putting Cammy on at right back and Deacon on the wing) and the game massively changed as he took us up the park and started beating his winger which saw us put a bit of pressure off. He then got quite brutally taken out the game and then we had nothing again

The sort of player he is, I think he struggles for form and consistency because he's always being kicked about and is a relatively big guy who will take the impacts quite badly. I think he could maybe do with a lot of fitness work over the summer as I feel an extra yard or so in pace could see a much better return.

15 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

Out of curiosity does anybody know how many chances Deacon created? Because for it to be n assist the player at other end has to score so it's not a fair reflection of how well a player is doing. 

14 minutes ago, harry94 said:

He switched wings quite a lot so very possible, we don't really know unless we see the whole data set. It could literally be just one expected assist inside and the rest being out wide.

I'm certain one of those stats twitter pages had a breakdown for him, but I can't find it now. Sure it was The Backpass Rule that had it up. 

Should be easier to find next season since they're all combined onto one site. 

On 6/1/2018 at 15:01, Ludo*1 said:

Hearing we've been trying to get Tafari Moore in from Arsenal. RWB - Played for Wycombe on loan last season.

Just out of interest Ludo, did you see this on Twitter or was it just a word of mouth thing?

Had a wee look at him and my Wycombe based Dundee supporting mate thinks he'd be a cracking signing and really rates him. I think he's friendly with Kamara so it could maybe be that link we're trying to use to persuade him here.

I think the club should do something to take up my attention until the WC starts, especially on Sundays. It's depressing.

Are you not following the "@dundeefconline World Cup" thing on Twitter? A novelty way to rate DFC legends past and present. Today is Group F and voting has Bobby Cox and Neil McCann favourites for qualification. Jocky is a distant third and facing elimination...on second thoughts you might want to swerve today's poll...

9 minutes ago, kristov said:

Are you not following the "@dundeefconline World Cup" thing on Twitter? A novelty way to rate DFC legends past and present. Today is Group F and voting has Bobby Cox and Neil McCann favourites for qualification. Jocky is a distant third and facing elimination...on second thoughts you might want to swerve today's poll...

It'd mean the whole thing is a complete farce if Jocky gets papped out. P&B'ers - Save Jocky!

https://twitter.com/dundeefconline/with_replies

Just now, Kyle said:

VOTED

(for Bobby Cox)

Bobby Cox deserves to go through tbf.  He's the original Mr Dundee. For McCann to be pumping Jocky is a travesty, however.

And to the shock of absolutely no-one, Hamilton’s pitch has been rated the worst. The bottom two rated pitches (Kilmarnock and Hamilton) being plastic can’t be a coincidence, can it?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bobby Cox deserves to go through tbf.  He's the original Mr Dundee. For McCann to be pumping Jocky is a travesty, however.

Is the vote for playing ability at Dundee or what they have done for the club? If it’s playing ability Ian Ure has to be well clear of McCann as well. 

Jocky giving fans (boo boys)  the v’s in the main stand has backfired on him big time! The boo boys in that stand probably included a young  G_Man  :lol: :whistle

Edited by Yenitit

3 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Is the vote for playing ability at Dundee or what they have done for the club? If it’s playing ability Ian Ure has to be well clear of McCann as well. 

Jocky giving fans (boo boys)  the v’s in the main stand has backfired on him big time! The boo boys in that stand probably included a young  G_Man  :lol: :whistle

Jocky's making a slow, but steady comeback, he's gained 3% on McCann. Still another 20% to go mind.

I have never been there but there are two things I can say for Nigeria:

1. What an epic top - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/02/nigeria-world-cup-football-kit-captures-public-imagination
  2. What exceptional taste in idioms - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/30/is-dundee-united-really-slang-for-idiot-in-nigeria

"It’s true: Dundee United is slang for idiot in Nigeria. This peculiar fact came to British attention in 2010, during a BBC documentary about the Nigerian capital Lagos. A local man, Chubby, told the filmmakers how life in Lagos is not for the foolish. “Anybody who came to Lagos and he didn’t learn sense, he cannot get sense ever,” said Chubby. “Because here if you are a fool, they will learn you how to get sense. If you are a ‘Dundee United’, when they start to pour shit on you, you will get sense.”

Edited by The Algebraist