All things Dundee FC

53 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The thing is as shite as Moussa is he does hold the ball up reasonably well.

If that’s such a sought after skill I think we should cash in on him.  He’s still got a year of his contract to go.

Personally I don’t think there will be a single club in Europe willing to pay anything for him.  He was bought to score goals and he hasn’t.

Next season I think we should be trying to build a squad around this:

**New Keeper**

**New Full back**  Caulker  Meekings  **New Full Back**

McGowan                             Kamara

Deacon                                                                    Wighton                                               **New Winger**

**New Striker**

Would keep Parish and potentially Holt as squad players as don't really think they're that bad but could do with better options IMO. Would also like to hold onto Murray, as I think he could be very useful, but regardless, we need another striker as well. Wouldn't be against using Kerr at right back, I think that's probably the last position we should be trying to replace out of the lot I have listed tbh. Kusunga and Spence are good cover options to have. I'm assuming O'Hara is off, but if not, again would be good to have as backup or to have as a versatile player who can really step in in the middle of the park or at fullback in a back 3/5.

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

Next season I think we should be trying to build a squad around this:

**New Keeper**

**New Full back**  Caulker  Meekings  **New Full Back**

McGowan                             Kamara

Deacon                                                                    Wighton                                               **New Winger**

**New Striker**

Would keep Parish and potentially Holt as squad players as don't really think they're that bad but could do with better options IMO. Would also like to hold onto Murray, as I think he could be very useful, but regardless, we need another striker as well. Wouldn't be against using Kerr at right back, I think that's probably the last position we should be trying to replace out of the lot I have listed tbh. Kusunga and Spence are good cover options to have. I'm assuming O'Hara is off, but if not, again would be good to have as backup or to have as a versatile player who can really step in in the middle of the park or at fullback in a back 3/5.

If we are going to go the back three, I half wonder if Cammy could actually be a reasonable centre back in that system. Defensively he's very good and does all the basics well but it's just on the ball that he struggles a bit.

TBF I would like to see how many chances he has set up, 3 assists is poor but if your job is to set up strikes for Moussa.....

As of the 18th of March he was sat 9th in the league for passes leading to goal scoring chances per 90 minutes with 0.58.

Just now, harry94 said:

If we are going to go the back three, I half wonder if Cammy could actually be a reasonable centre back in that system. Defensively he's very good and does all the basics well but it's just on the ball that he struggles a bit.

I've always liked him there and have suggested it a few times. If I'm right in thinking he played there last 15/20 minutes at firhill where we went onto score the two late goals and he looked solid. I think his problem this season is that he's a bit confused on what he's meant to be doing. I've heard that he been told to first and foremost defend as thats his job, which is making him reluctant to get forward on the overlap which he was excellent at last season. This then results in fewer options for players like Deacon as he either has to beat 2 men to get a cross in or pass it back the way.

What’s happened with Kerr? Cause he was looking to be a bright spark in the Dundee team last season, but this season he’s regressed it seems. I think his enthusiasm, energy and passion is brilliant having seen him play and it seems you can’t fault his effort, but ability wise he’s gotten worse. Last season was he not a pretty attacking fullback, I can’t remember him crossing the halfway line in games against us, let alone make a decent contribution? Or is it a case that he’s got so little support and help in front of him that he’s left totally isolated and doesn’t want to get caught?

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

What’s happened with Kerr? Cause he was looking to be a bright spark in the Dundee team last season, but this season he’s regressed it seems. I think his enthusiasm, energy and passion is brilliant having seen him play and it seems you can’t fault his effort, but ability wise he’s gotten worse. Last season was he not a pretty attacking fullback, I can’t remember him crossing the halfway line in games against us, let alone make a decent contribution? Or is it a case that he’s got so little support and help in front of him that he’s left totally isolated and doesn’t want to get caught?

5 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I think his problem this season is that he's a bit confused on what he's meant to be doing. I've heard that he been told to first and foremost defend as thats his job, which is making him reluctant to get forward on the overlap which he was excellent at last season. This then results in fewer options for players like Deacon as he either has to beat 2 men to get a cross in or pass it back the way.

Just now, Widge said:

I have a feeling that he's maybe just suffered with change of style. Defensively, I think he's been fine but it's been how he handles the ball in possession. A short passing build up from the back quite often relies on the full backs to be quite technically good and I don't think that's really his game. He's got pace and aggression which can see him quite effective when he can just run at players and try the overlap (and it was evidenced in a game against Thistle earlier in the season when he won a penalty). When you spend a couple of minutes passing the ball between 'keeper and centre back, by the time the full back has it, they are under quite a bit of pressure and that's exactly the thing that he's just not naturally talented at (whereas someone like Spanish Jon is).

We have went a bit more direct in recent games though and do seem to have a better balance with Holt managing to come in and play at the other side with some similar issues but look OK as we've been a bit less predictable in our build up (and the back three has also varied how we distribute forward) so I am hopeful that Cammy will look better when he comes back in.

Young Jesse Curran has really great technique to play the way McCann was maybe wanting but he's really physically weak and struggles badly defensively.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Caulker won't be at Dens next season. I hope, based on what I've seen so far, that Kusunga isn't considered as being his long term replacement.

Do you know this as a fact or are you just guessing mate ? I actually think he will be here next season as he seems settled and wants a bit of stability in his life - hence why he turned down Rosenborg.

Do you know this as a fact or are you just guessing mate ? I actually think he will be here next season as he seems settled and wants a bit of stability in his life - hence why he turned down Rosenborg.

It's a calculated guess. 6 months is more than enough time to begin to get his head straight.

Going to Rosenborg wouldn't be for everyone, regardless of the money on offer. He'll be at Celtic or back down South by the start of next season.

I'd be floored if that wasn't the case.

Does Caulker look engaged in matches? Against us he didn’t look like he cared one little bit, then again he wasn’t the only one. There’s been numerous cases of high profiled players coming up to Scotland unexpectedly with varying results. From a saints point of view we got Jody Morris and he was nothing but a model pro and an absolute legend. But I guess there’s the other side of the coin whereby some may think it’s beneath them.

From an outside point of view, I’d be surprised if Caulker is with Dundee next season irrespective of the league they’re in. The other thing to weight up, is he actually worth the wage that he’s going to be on? Could it be better allocated elsewhere?

As we wait on the farce that is the post-split fixtures, and in light of the recent chat on the good form of the U20s, I thought I’d highlight the battle for the Development League Championship (and distract from the first team misery). Dundee and Hibs both have two games left with the Dons the outsiders with a game in hand – but realistically Dundee ended their title hopes in our last game. Hearts and Celtic can theoretically win the title, but let’s face it, they won’t:

1 Hibs P24 Pts 53 (GD+33)

2 Dee P24 Pts 52 (GD+21)

3 Dons P23 Pts 45 (GD+21)

4 Hearts P21 Pts 40 (GD+16)

---

7 Celtic P19 Pts 33 (GD+16)

The remaining fixtures are:

Tues 17th April Hibs v Aberdeen 14:00; Dundee v Hearts 18:00 (Links Park)

Mon 23rd April St. Mirren v Dundee 19:45

Tues 24th April Aberdeen v Hamilton 14:00

Mon 30th April Hibs v Motherwell 19:45

Mon 7th May Aberdeen v Celtic 14:00

A draw in the Hibs-Aberdeen game and a win for Dundee on the 17th would end the hopes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic and prime the Dees for league glory on the 23rd – the authorities have already taken note as the venue has not been announced for the St. Mirren game – a switch to a larger ground will no doubt be required for the success starved, Dark Blue hordes…

4 hours ago, Widge said:

The boo boys got on his back for repeated poor attempts to cross the ball into the box. Thus resulting in now what appears to be a crisis of confidence. Any time he gets in the final 3rd of the pitch he now checks back onto his left foot which usually results in lost possession.

Hopefully he’ll kick on again. 

Edited by Yenitit

50 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
59 minutes ago, Yenitit said:
The boo boys got on his back for repeated poor attempts to cross the ball into the box. Thus resulting in now what appears to be a crisis of confidence. Any time he gets in the final 3rd of the pitch he now checks back onto his left foot which usually results in lost possession.
Hopefully he’ll kick on again. 

Where are these boo boys regarding Kerr? Gonna put it out there I don't see much in this in regarding Kerr. If you said Holt then I'd be in huge agreement

Are you saying certain members of the crowd don’t get on his back when his crosses don’t meet their intended targets or end up behind the goal?