All things Dundee FC

22 hours ago, LiamDFC said:

Fifespud is right and it’s been staring us in the face for decades. Dundee are no different to other Scottish teams in this regard.

The Scottish game is littered with slow wee midgets and thats a real shame. You can’t fault Nicky Low for work ethic but he’s not a professional athelete IMO. The game has moved on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years and we’re way behind the curve.

If you take any EPL/Championship side and any Scottish side (apart from maybe Celtic) and line them up, looking at them objectively, what do you think the differences would be aside from skill? They’re all 6+ and fast as f**k.

You can teach any wee dafty to kick a ball (to a level) but you can’t teach someone to be a big 6ft4 b*****d.

One example I’d give at our level is Hamilton. The times they’ve pumped us over the last two seasons, they’ve outpaced and outfought us. Big strong laddies that pushed us off the ball. Are they better footballers? No, they’re fucking shite at football (and Dougie Imrie is about as appealing as a night out with thon ISIS c***s) but they have been bigger, stronger and fitter than us. Add in a bit of quality and thats enough imo.

Look at Caulker. Played at a top level, hasn’t done in years, comes in and immediately looks like a specimen next to his skinny wee team-mates. Harsh but true.

Thank you.

I remember watching a documentary on Scotsport (possibly around France 98 - I had this documentary on VHS and watched it back a few times).  Anyway the documentary was going through all the World Cup campaigns since the 70s and when it got onto the famous David Narey toe-poke hammering from Zico etc it had an interview from one of the Scotland team and he said something along these lines:

"People expected us to be able to be physical enough to cause Brazil problems, being big tough Scotsmen.   However it was really hot in the ground and before the match both teams were standing in the tunnel with their tops off.  We were there with our wee pot bellies and sunburn and the Brazil team were towering over us - 6 packs every single one of them.  Socrates, famous for smoking, was fitter than every single player in our team".

Similarly I was just talking about the UFC fighter from Kilmarnock Jo Calderwood.  She had an interview in the local paper recently where she said, again not verbatim, something like "Even in training I'm still bad for having a beer or a takeaway.  I know I shouldn't but it doesn't affect me as a fighter".    Whilst she is probably 99% correct the other 1% commitment and conditioning is possibly/probably the difference between her being a top 20 fighter (or whatever she is) and a top 10 fighter.

Flip side of this argument is Andy Murray who is ripped and (arguably) one of our most successful ever sportsmen.

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I remember watching a documentary on Scotsport (possibly around France 98 - I had this documentary on VHS and watched it back a few times).  Anyway the documentary was going through all the World Cup campaigns since the 70s and when it got onto the famous David Narey toe-poke hammering from Zico etc it had an interview from one of the Scotland team and he said something along these lines:

"People expected us to be able to be physical enough to cause Brazil problems, being big tough Scotsmen.   However it was really hot in the ground and before the match both teams were standing in the tunnel with their tops off.  We were there with our wee pot bellies and sunburn and the Brazil team were towering over us - 6 packs every single one of them.  Socrates, famous for smoking, was fitter than every single player in our team".

Similarly I was just talking about the UFC fighter from Kilmarnock Jo Calderwood.  She had an interview in the local paper recently where she said, again not verbatim, something like "Even in training I'm still bad for having a beer or a takeaway.  I know I shouldn't but it doesn't affect me as a fighter".    Whilst she is probably 99% correct the other 1% commitment and conditioning is possibly/probably the difference between her being a top 20 fighter (or whatever she is) and a top 10 fighter.

Flip side of this argument is Andy Murray who is ripped and (arguably) one of our most successful ever sportsmen.

5ac7ef6c20259_phone494.thumb.jpg.928a964e682454029ddbcfda55f05588.jpg

We started the second half well but completely collapsed after we went 2-0 down. Still, we create so few chances that we're not going to win a lot of games.

I about shot myself watching Moussa barge past 3 defenders - doing the hard bit - and then ballooning it over when in sight of goal. Add in Roarie Deacon who apparently has some kind of magical ability to turn a football and an opposition goalkeeper into a pair of magnets. It's fucking infuriating.

That is not a good Rangers team and we shouldn't be conceding 4 goals to them, especially when our defence is apparently our strong point. 

We're just relying on other teams staying pish, basically. And when we're to play the likes of Ross County, Thistle or Hamilton I'd say we're just as likely to lose as we are to win, that's a shit position to put ourselves in. I'd say we're just as likely as Hamilton or Ross County to end up in the second bottom spot, and even now wouldn't write Thistle off.

Frustrating as f**k.

Edited by Louis Litt

Deacon and Moussa are both inept, add to that our abysmal defending, we are in big trouble.

Im glad that someone else has spotted Deacons great passing ability to the oppositions goalkeeper, the way some people rate him I was worried that only I witnessed this spectacle.

2 points from 3 games I was expecting 0 from.

Frustrating though as it could of been 3 points from Hearts and the Rangers score really flattered them because we had plenty chances.

If we play like we have done in the last 3 games, we will be safe.....

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Very negative post.

I'm not impressed.

Here’s a positive post G_Man.  

With the lack of any decent striker / attacking midfielder and the defence we have had so far this season I would have taken 2 points from Hearts, Celtic and Rangers quicker than you would have taken a tour of the Irn Bru factory.

Post split games could be interesting.

Who do we want and in what order.

I'd take:

HOME - Thistle - they can't buy a win and we do have a pretty good record against them at Dens.

AWAY - St Johnstone - I'd take a point from this - a shitfest 0-0 could be a possibility

HOME - Hamilton - the other team we are due to face at home - again on a poor run - if results go our way it could be the match that has us safe.

AWAY - County - hopefully things will be decided by that ppoint - if not we'll have to shitfest it again.

HOME - Motherwell - as the County game.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

3 games in 6 days was clearly too much for us. Thought we played some decent stuff for 2/3 of the game. Always a kick in the balls to lose to the **** too, but oh well. Now the real games begin.

12 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Very negative post.

I'm not impressed.

We don't score enough goals to inspire any sort of confidence. I get the whole 'if we play like we did against Hearts and Celtic then we'll be fine' argument but we're just as likely to put in an insipid performance as we are to put in one of those. We've lost to every single team who's in with a chance of going down this season. 

I don't think we're any better than Hamilton, Ross County or Partick Thistle. I don't think any of the 4 of us are going to go on a run where we win or lose all our games. There's going to be hardly anything in it and we're just as likely to finish 2nd bottom as we are to finish 9th (IMO).

Edited by Louis Litt

13 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

We don't score enough goals to inspire any sort of confidence. I get the whole 'if we play like we did against Hearts and Celtic then we'll be fine' argument but we're just as likely to put in an insipid performance as we are to put in one of those. We've lost to every single team who's in with a chance of going down this season. 

I don't think we're any better than Hamilton, Ross County or Partick Thistle. I don't think any of the 4 of us are going to go on a run where we win or lose all our games. There's going to be hardly anything in it and we're just as likely to finish 2nd bottom as we are to finish 9th (IMO).

If we concentrate on the basics and stop fucking about with the ball at the back I think we are more than capable of getting the points required.

The most important thing is not to lose - we still have a 4 point lead over County and 5 over Thistle (effectively 6 with our superior goal difference).  If we don't lose to those two then they need to win 2 of their 4 other post-split games to overhaul us - end with a match against each other then it would be less likely that both could do it.

My biggest fear is not automatic relegation but 11th spot and facing someone like Livingston.  That being having seen all the Championship playoff contenders said I still think we would be too strong over two matches no matter who we played.  County/Hamilton are the big unpredictables in all of this - both are as likely to get a surprise win as they are to get humped.

At least it's in our own hands - we need to get right behind the team, especially at Dens - just hope some of the moaning c***s STFU and be patient.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

So we got pumped today from second top, big deal.

We could of got pumped fae a team like Dumbarton.

McCann is signing the troops up for next season already so plenty to look forward to.

McCann was a long term appointment? 

2 points from 3 games I was expecting 0 from.
Frustrating though as it could of been 3 points from Hearts and the Rangers score really flattered them because we had plenty chances.
If we play like we have done in the last 3 games, we will be safe.....

Agreed. Before 3 very difficult games we were 4 and 7 points clear of the bottom 2. After them we are 4 and 5 clear.

Not sure anyone would have been optimistic about that being the case.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If we concentrate on the basics and stop fucking about with the ball at the back I think we are more than capable of getting the points required.

The most important thing is not to lose - we still have a 4 point lead over County and 5 over Thistle (effectively 6 with our superior goal difference).  If we don't lose to those two then they need to win 2 of their 4 other post-split games to overhaul us - and with a match against each other then it would be less likley tht both could do it.

My biggest fear is not automatic relegation but 11th spot and facing someone like Livingston.  That being having seen all the Championship playoff contenders said I still think we would be too strong over two matches no matter who we played.

Yeah all valid points and I agree with basically everything you're saying. Ross County give me the fear a lot more than Partick Thistle at the moment but we're just to hope that conceding so late against Hibs will have some sort of psychological impact.

The last few games are going to be brutal and I can easily see it going to the final day. 

Shitemare.

at least our fate is in our own hands. Teams need 2 to 3 games to catch us with just 5 left.

As for playoffs recent history is in Premiership favour with Hammies, Killie and Motherell all staying up. And these were teams rated as shite by Premier standards at the time. Other than St Mirren (dont need to worry about!) I wouldnt rate any Championship team really for the pressures of a play off run.

This is going to sound like a load of pish, but I generally think we almost have a pretty good team. The problem is, that for the 8 or so decent players we have, we have 3 or 4 who are way out of their depth and costing us big time.

The 3 centre halves are all solid, but are sold out time and time again by our full backs who seem totally incompetent at this level.

I like Parish, and really would like to see him do well but he's just not good enough imo at this level and although he does make a lot of good saves, he makes far too many costly mistakes.

Kamara and McGowan are good, but the other midfielders we have are no better than squad players.

Murray is the only striker we have that looks remotely dangerous, but we badly need someone who can put the ball in the net.

30 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

This is going to sound like a load of pish, but I generally think we almost have a pretty good team. The problem is, that for the 8 or so decent players we have, we have 3 or 4 who are way out of their depth and costing us big time.

This is the part that as an outsider I really struggle to get my head round. Hartley was chased at the split last year and having just checked his record was almost identical to McCann's at the moment, in fact his side had scored (2) more goals.

Hartley - P 33 W 8  D 6 L 19 F 33 A 53 GD -20 Pts 30 Position: 11th 
McCann - P 33 W 8 D 6 L 19 F 31 A 53 GD -22  Pts 30 Position: 10th

It's almost exactly the same record yet Hartley was (rightly) chased yet McCann, with exactly the same defensive record seems to be under very little pressure. As I say from an outsider's POV it's pretty hard to square.

Edited by capt_oats

This is the part that as an outsider I really struggle to get my head round. Hartley was chased at the split last year and having just checked his record was almost identical to McCann's at the moment, in fact his side had scored (2) more goals.
Hartley - P 33 W 8  D 6 L 19 F 33 A 53 GD -20 Pts 30 Position: 11th 
McCann - P 33 W 8 D 6 L 19 F 31 A 53 GD -22  Pts 30 Position: 10th
It's almost exactly the same record yet Hartley was (rightly) chased yet McCann, with exactly the same defensive record seems to be under very little pressure. As I say from an outsider's POV it's pretty hard to square.

Hartley had 3 years to build a squad and it was clear as day to everyone that we were going backwards. That squad he left was full of failed cast offs. McCann cane in and steadied the ship and managed to keep us up.

Over he summer he made some signings and again it's clear to see that the players are of a much better quality. For a few of them though this is their first season playing consistent first team football. I'm pretty sure that we also have the youngest side in the league alongside you guys.