All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

If we're going to play a 4-4-2 like yesterday then imo he has to come in for O'Hara and play right wing. O'Hara is not suited to that formation.

That’s what I was thinking as well. O’Hara has done well imo but Curran’s pushing hard for a start with his performances off the bench, as limited as they may have been time wise. 

Just watched the game on deetv (from thistles tv coverage) how much better is it than ours? Several camera angles, replays even commentary (quite funny at times) I would be happy to pay a bit more for a service like that. If thistle can do it surely Dundee can !!!

23 hours ago, daftydee said:

Just watched the game on deetv (from thistles tv coverage) how much better is it than ours? Several camera angles, replays even commentary (quite funny at times) I would be happy to pay a bit more for a service like that. If thistle can do it surely Dundee can !!!

I've heard since the weekend that the whole service is getting overhauled in the summer to have it ready for next season but they are attempting to get it sorted sooner.

On 18/02/2018 at 17:28, G_Man1985 said:

Ohara seems to be only midfielder with a decent shot on him. If we get him replaced with an attacking player then fair enough but right now kamara or gowser offers these goals Ohara has came up with.

O'Hara is a funny player, kind of back to front in my view.

Lots of midfielders are decent passers of the ball and can create structure around them. O'Hara isn't very good at this, or at least not yet 

Very few midfielders can read the game to arrive at just the right time to meet a cross or hit a first time shot. O'Hara is brilliant at this.

The good news is you can teach the first easier than the second.

2 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

O'Hara is a funny player, kind of back to front in my view.

Lots of midfielders are decent passers of the ball and can create structure around them. O'Hara isn't very good at this, or at least not yet 

Very few midfielders can read the game to arrive at just the right time to meet a cross or hit a first time shot. O'Hara is brilliant at this.

The good news is you can teach the first easier than the second.

Worth noting Murray Davidson was identical to this when he first joined us. 

Mark O'Hara isn't the finished article but I think it's often forgotten that he's just turned 22. Stick with him and he'll be big a player in a few years in my view.

Totally agree with this he's still very young for this position and has scored 6 goals from midfield this season.

Some people's expectation seems to be that he's the finished product and some kind of Frank Lampard.

Some of the criticism he gets on off days is totally unwarranted.

As others have said, his ability to time runs from midfield is something you can't teach, good coaches can improve positioning and ability to control a game.

I'd like to seem him get a new contract.

Mark O'Hara has the potential to be our best player. He shoulders a lot more criticism than our 'own' youngsters, I've no idea why as he's generally better. I really like him as our future Gavin Rae but he admittedly has been off the boil for a wee bit.

Mark O'Hara has the potential to be our best player. He shoulders a lot more criticism than our 'own' youngsters, I've no idea why as he's generally better. I really like him as our future Gavin Rae but he admittedly has been off the boil for a wee bit.

Genuine question: has his form dipped since the whole thing about pre-contract offers or has he always just been flakey?

I only really started paying attention to him after we were linked with him back in December and he seems to take a pretty regular kicking from sections of your fanbase.

Genuine question: has his form dipped since the whole thing about pre-contract offers or has he always just been flakey?

I only really started paying attention to him after we were linked with him back in December and he seems to take a pretty regular kicking from sections of your fanbase.

He's been like that when he started. He seems to save his best performances for Rangers. Utterly unplayable against them. He's a very good talent but inconsistent to the extent that people have valid concerns as to whether he will make it or not.

He's been poor for a considerable period recently but I wouldn't say that being linked with other clubs have been the cause of this, because he's had spells like this before.

Sometimes he's the best guy on the pitch and others he's like bambi on ice. Other than his age - it's quite a hard thing to explain away tbh.

He's always been hot and cold tbh. For a long spell earlier in the season he wasn't getting in the team and when he was it was as a wing back. It was the 2 goals against Rangers really that kicked him on and he grabbed a couple more goals shortly after that.

When you watch Hibs McGeoch, McGinn and now Allan are all on the front foot trying to play the ball forward, picking out runners. Our entire midfield, bar Gowser are constantly looking to play it square or back, we have no runners. At the start of the season Deacon was beating people for fun and even he is looking to play it square or back. It’s maybe the keep possession mantra and they’ve lost confidence to an extent. Curran comes on on Saturday and just runs at the opposition, it’s a breath of fresh air. Trying to maintain possession is all fair and well but we don’t have the guile to pass it in to the net imo.