All things Dundee FC

On 2/14/2018 at 17:31, RossDee01 said:

On a more positive note, an I right in thinking Moussa has sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with every single one of his penalties? He sent McDonald down before the ball was kicked last night.

Don't think he will get away with this technique for much longer, keeper just needs to wait till he kicks it.    (cool as f**k though). IMO.

Hopefully Deacon is fit. His long throws on Tuesday were a very welcome change. Right on the big Caulks napper.

Was following the updates on my laptop on Tuesday night, and when he scored I exclaimed the fact that "I love big Caulks" and the missus gave me a very strange look. No idea why though.

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Football wise at what age are you too old to learn??

• The good news - I'm 34, play a non-professional sport at a decent level and still get better every season. Others don't, it depends on their attitude.
  • The bad news - Even in amateur sports nearly no-one becomes a top player now unless they are already a cut above by their early teens. We have an 18 year old that has just taken up the game having been cut from the England sprint squad at 15. He is fit, a naturally talented sportsman, like greased lightening in a straight line, is trying really, really hard, gets better every week but will never be a top player as his technical grounding isn't good enough. I also imagine footballers probably pick a bit less up in later years as they train so much. 
  • The worst news - Sadly I am also now getting slower every season, my first and second team days are numbered.
Edited by The Algebraist

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Moussa is 30 years old and on a 2 year deal, can he be taught or learn to improve his all round game??

Probably not, I think he should just start trying to hit someone near the back of the stand or the corner flag, that way he might inadvertently hit the target

McCann in press saying he believes we can still get top 6 and that he's not a fantasist but ambitious and that we're a right good team to play against! Fucking right we're a right good team to play against Neil, just ask the other managers whose teams are knocking 2, 3&4 goals past us! He's maybe not a fantasist but clearly deluded and is seeing things the rest of us aren't. He needs to stop bickering with officials and blaming decisions going against us for poor results, that just smacks of desperation and everyone can see that. 

I really hope he succeeds and gets it right but it's an important spell coming up not only for the team but for him and his managerial career. He's clearly quite stubborn, Moussa being a prime example and in my opinion that was a major flaw and trait that led to Hartleys downfall, for me he has to admit he's made mistakes, he's new to this so even the harshest of our support will give him a bit of leeway but he has to learn from them and fast

Edited by ravabelli

1 hour ago, ravabelli said:

McCann in press saying he believes we can still get top 6 and that he's not a fantasist but ambitious and that we're a right good team to play against! Fucking right we're a right good team to play against Neil, just ask the other managers whose teams are knocking 2, 3&4 goals past us! He's maybe not a fantasist but clearly deluded and is seeing things the rest of us aren't. He needs to stop bickering with officials and blaming decisions going against us for poor results, that just smacks of desperation and everyone can see that. 

I really hope he succeeds and gets it right but it's an important spell coming up not only for the team but for him and his managerial career. He's clearly quite stubborn, Moussa being a prime example and in my opinion that was a major flaw and trait that led to Hartleys downfall, for me he has to admit he's made mistakes, he's new to this so even the harshest of our support will give him a bit of leeway but he has to learn from them and fast

It's interesting that it was after 26 games that Hartley went off a cliff, the 5-1 win against us at Fir Park that saw us field a back 4 who had literally never played together and resulted in McGhee getting his jotters after the match. At that point Hartley was sitting 6th in the league before losing 7 straight.

Who knows, maybe a result against Thistle today can sort out your season but right now McCann's 5 points down on Hartley after the same number of games with fewer goals scored and more conceded. That's with McCann having been afforded the opportunity to essentially sign a new team too. I think it was something like 8 of the starting XI on Tuesday were McCann signings with 3 on the bench?

Hartley - 16/17
P 26 W 8 D 6 L 12 F 31 A 36 GD -5 Pts 30 - 6th

McCann - 17/18
P 26 W 7 D 4 L 15 F 28 A 41 GD -13 Pts 25 - 9th

I'll not lie, I find the Cult of McCann that seems to exist around sections of the Dundee support pretty weird.

Edited by capt_oats