All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, davidy233 said:

Just out of interest who were the World Cup winners in that Hamburg team? Must have been some age to have been in the West Germany team who won the Jules Rimet in 1954 and in the Hamburg team who lost to Saints in 1971

Turns out they were merely runners up, Uwe Seeler the most prominent one, and a player I assume Dees are aware of, seeing as that era is so ingrained in their hearts. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Turns out they were merely runners up, Uwe Seeler the most prominent one, and a player I assume Dees are aware of, seeing as that era is so ingrained in their hearts. 

We only bothered with German champions and they didn't bother us much

Not captured on BBC's 'extended' highlights of today's match was Parish's save - a bit of brilliance in a game where far too many Dundee players had 'off' days. Even normally consistent players(Kamara, Spanish Jon and Meekings) had indifferent games. To me the things that stuck out most were:
1) playing with Moussa up front is like playing with a man short- to compound the issue it means that we try no long balls (to mix up play a bit) and this compounds our errors in the first third of the pitch. This was further compounded by the high press of Inverness once they realised we were no great shakes.

2) unfortunately the manager must be the only person who cannot see that Darren has got the unwanted combination of losing his pace and confidence resulting in unsettling the defence as a whole.

3) most worrying was the reaction of Scott Allan to an on field bollocking by McCann in the first half where he shows the lack of respect to shout back. I know McCann is learning his trade but such public shows of displeasure with his team should be avoided.

Perhaps the sale of Hendry will provide the funds to strengthen a poor looking side. It's going to be a long season.......

13 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Thought between ICTs two goals Dundee played well. Thought AJLS and Cammy had good second halfs, Allan was pulling the strings but El Bak looked good when he came on.

O'Dea is totally finished, and really highlights the danger of potentially losing Hendry. Meekings was totally off it today, I think he was actually at fault for both goals.

Strange sub at the end for McGowan but that didn't affect the shambles that was the second goal, individual errors cost Dundee today, not the subs.

It did affect the the shambles that was the second goal though as it was Wolters doing his impression of a department store mannequin on the edge of the box that allowed the ICT player to go right 'round him and pass the ball in between our keeper and twa defenders (yes they made a mess of it once that happened, but Wolters abominable efforts out wide allowed the whole thing to unfold.

I don't abuse players on here, and I don't shout abuse at games as it's not helpful and makes for a garbage atmosphere that I think makes a lot of players more comfortable playing on the road, but having said that Wolters simply can't play for us again he should be finished here.

O'Dea should only be an in case of emergency player. He would be my last pick defender at this point. And Haber (despite his shortcomings) should play over Moussa every second of every game unless he is injured. Alcohol may be my only refuge if I'm forced to continue watching O'Dea, Moussa, and Wolters play. I hope NM has finally learned that only bad things happen when you take off Gowser.

Genuine question, why would we stop one of our players becoming cup tied for another club who intends to bid for them?
Is this common practice for players in a transfer saga? 

IMO, no, it's not common and doesn't make any sense. It seemed to be the default response of a lot of people yesterday as soon as Hendry wasn't in the squad to say we were pandering to Celtic because they don't want him cup tied.

Nonsense, IMO.

In reality Hendry would be 4th choice at Celtic IF he signed for them. The suggestion that they'd ask, and Dundee would agree, to not play him in case he becomes cup tied is ridiculous to me.

We'll see in the coming weeks but I genuinely don't think McCann would do that, given how stupid it will make him look after his comments about Hendry during the week.

27 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Genuine question, why would we stop one of our players becoming cup tied for another club who intends to bid for them?

4 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

IMO, no, it's not common and doesn't make any sense. It seemed to be the default response of a lot of people yesterday as soon as Hendry wasn't in the squad to say we were pandering to Celtic because they don't want him cup tied.

Nonsense, IMO.

In reality Hendry would be 4th choice at Celtic IF he signed for them. The suggestion that they'd ask, and Dundee would agree, to not play him in case he becomes cup tied is ridiculous to me.

We'll see in the coming weeks but I genuinely don't think McCann would do that, given how stupid it will make him look after his comments about Hendry during the week.

If it was the reason for Hendry not playing I can only guess that it would be Dundee’s decision alone with no discussion with Celtic taking place.  It would possibly make the player more desirable if he was not cup tied.   If Celtic have their eye on two central defenders of roughly equal quality it may be they would go for the one that is not cup tied over the one that is.

More likely though I think he wasn’t played to avoid any injury.  That could be a strategy that back fires on Dundee.  It’s hard to be believed that your determined not to sell one of your best players and then not play him in case he gets an injury that stops any transfer.   

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the performance but going by everyone else's we seemed quite rusty. What annoys me the most about this is we haven't had any friendlies in this January break where most other premiership teams have. Absolutely school boy stuff not keeping the players match sharp and it could of cost us and still could a run in this competition.

If it was the reason for Hendry not playing I can only guess that it would be Dundee’s decision alone with no discussion with Celtic taking place.  It would possibly make the player more desirable if he was not cup tied.   If Celtic have their eye on two central defenders of roughly equal quality it may be they would go for the one that is not cup tied over the one that is.

More likely though I think he wasn’t played to avoid any injury.  That could be a strategy that back fires on Dundee.  It’s hard to be believed that your determined not to sell one of your best players and then not play him in case he gets an injury that stops any transfer.   

Supposedly he was ill yesterday according to Jim Spence.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Supposedly he was ill yesterday according to Jim Spence.

Yeh, I read McCann saying Hendry had the flu in his post match interview.   Does anyone know if he was at training during the week?

At the risk of sounding cynical I doubt they would come out and say he was dropped to protect any potential sale. 

Yeh, I read McCann saying Hendry had the flu in his post match interview.   Does anyone know if he was at training during the week?
At the risk of sounding cynical I doubt they would come out and say he was dropped to protect any potential sale. 

Spence got his information from Nelms so either both McCann and Nelms are sticking to the same story or Hendry is genuinely unwell.

36 minutes ago, Moo said:

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the performance but going by everyone else's we seemed quite rusty. What annoys me the most about this is we haven't had any friendlies in this January break where most other premiership teams have. Absolutely school boy stuff not keeping the players match sharp and it could of cost us and still could a run in this competition.

I heard we tried to have two bounce games that were both scuppered by the weather, so we ended up having and intra-squad game, but your point is valid, and aren't there indoor fields you can get sorted to have a game if your pitch is snowed under or whatever?? 

I guess the other thing would be who would we play? The lower leagues have no winter break, half the premier teams are away in sunny climes, and would two teams want to have a bounce game at this time of year against one another? Who knows? But in that first 20 minutes you could see which team had played games and which one hadn't!

1 hour ago, Louis Litt said:

I don't think it is common practice, I've never heard of it.

It is however common practice in Cup comps for teams in a higher division to field a less than first rate line-up in the hopes that you can see off a team on a lower rung on the league ladder without say maybe losing your best player to injury in a Cup tie and then scuppering your season. When I saw the team sheet today and saw Hendry and Haber out, and Wolters back on the bench that's what to popped to mind. Also Cup comps are a slow build in that the interest level goes from almost none to over the top insanity as you work your way through the rounds in terms of fan interest, and I don't thing Dundee are in position to be taking anyone lightly, I mean we weren't playing Brora (no disrespect to Brora fans, congrats today, well done) today we were playing a full time pro team that required us to be fully engaged, and we weren't.

Ultimately McCann was right though, and although it looked like a ropey performance all the way around it was verging on a job done scenario until he took Gowser off (????) for Wolters. Randy makes James Vincent look like Georgi Nemsadze.

I didn't think about the Hendry being cup tied scenario until people started saying it online, but regardless when you look at the teams that have one the Scottish Cup in recent years it is a shot a glory especially with the league title so out of sight every year teams like Dundee should be throwing everything into it, imo.

11 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

I don't think it is common practice, I've never heard of it.

It is however common practice in Cup comps for teams in a higher division to field a less than first rate line-up in the hopes that you can see off a team on a lower rung on the league ladder without say maybe losing your best player to injury in a Cup tie and then scuppering your season. 

Bar Hendry we played what looked to be our strongest team available. I take your point about teams resting players but yesterday was not a game we were predicted to easily win and for whatever reason Jack was out it definitely wasn't because we we're fielding a less than first rate team. We'd have probably played our strongest team against a Highland league side.

Edited by Louis Litt