All things Dundee FC

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Moult not playing was a factor but it wasn't the sole reason for the poor form. Having half a team out injured had much more to do with it. Carson was barely half fit in the game against Dundee at Fir Park and he won us a point. We effectively played the entire 2nd half with 10 men on account of Frear's injury, not to mention Cadden being forced off as we'd rushed him back too soon. So aye, our form has been pish and and it has coincided with Moult not being available but there's far more to it that "losing Moult has/will cost us".

Chances are that with a fully fit Carson, Hartley, Cadden and Frear available we'd have taken more from the run of fixtures post-Celtic. But we didn't. Could've, would've, should've. Had Dundee went through December without Parish, Hendry, Meekings, Kamara and Allan then there's a fair chance that results would have been different.

The reason Motherwell are being applauded for getting a "good" fee is that because without even factoring in his goals and contribution to the cup run they've brought in 10 times what they spent on the player, with the potential to earn more if Moult makes a go of it at Preston and earns another move. The reality is that we brought in more than Aberdeen offered in the summer for a player who had no intention of signing a new deal and whose contract expiring meant he could leave for nothing.

All this stuff has been covered fairly extensively. Motherwell sold the club to Moult when he signed saying, "we'll give you a platform to perform and earn a move to a more lucrative deal." The whole premise of Motherwell's business model is that if an offer comes in that suits all parties then they won't stand in the player's way if he wants to move. If he doesn't then great, which is what seems to have happened with the Aberdeen offer; they didn't meet Motherwell's valuation and the player wasn't really that interested in the move so it was patched.

The offer from Preston came in which allows his family to move back closer to home, bumps his salary considerably and allows him to play in a league that he views as being a step up. In addition to that Preston have paid a fee that's higher than the sole offer the club received for the player last summer when he had a full year left on his deal. In short, there's not a chance that was being knocked back.

If Motherwell were to force the player to stay and see out the season then they'd essentially be going back on their word.

If Dundee manage to get £1.5m for Hendry then good work but I honestly don't think any Motherwell supporter is looking at the Moult sale thinking it's a bad deal. Moult (like Marvin Johnson and Ben Heneghan) was brought to the club with a view to him being sold on for profit. That's exactly what's happened.

I suspect you are right that the injuries will clear up and you guys will be fine but so often, supporters do buy into an injury fallacy. So many times I've heard Dundee fans say things will be OK when our injuries recover and we'll shoot up the league and more often than not, we'll struggle.  An actuary would look at the injury argument and point out that a couple of the guys you've mentioned are late 20s and had other long-term injuries fairly recently - who says that they'll recover to the same level? The odds on other players getting injured are also not low and another issue is that it can be quite hard to get out of the rut. The lack of goals elsewhere and even presence up front is also a big issue, people think wins turn to draws but more often than not, the inability to be active up the park invokes more pressure at the back.

It just doesn't justify the risk involved to me. Even if this only increases chances of relegation to something like 10%, that's gambling big time on the future of the club. The chances are anyway that you'll finish a couple of league places lower and that's £100k gone of it already.  £10-20k for progressing a round less in the Scottish Cup. An additional signing £20-30k. So a strong possibility of only say £300k to remove a really important tool which dramatically increases the chances of relegation and likely decreasing income into the millions - it doesn't seem sensible. Whatever happens, the manager has a tough job in getting the new forwards integrated mid-season and failure to do so in a timely manner could lead to his departure and a pay off which further eats into the money. The economics seem all wrong to me.

I don't know what assurances were given but Moult would have gotten his move regardless and been a success and good story for the club. At least with a sulking Moult, he's still in the position of probably being better than most strikers in the league on a bad day and still incentivised to turn it on in some way if his agent is trying to get him a nice sign on clause elsewhere. You've already got profit in the great contribution he's provided and this is a move that can quite literally remove all of that.

What’s the latest with the new stadium?  Are there still access issues?

I see that plans now include a new crematorium!  I’m tempted to make a witty remark but a) I am not witty and b) it’s probably something that would benefit the city.

I see that plans now include a new crematorium!  I’m tempted to make a witty remark but a) I am not witty and b) it’s probably something that would benefit the city.

C) You just hope you can make it that long.

44 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Image result for office gif closing door

The lack of transfer activity at Dens is depressing.

I like the fact mr McCann keeps cards close to his chest , lets the speculation run wild and you get to see which reporter is “in the know “ and who is getting a wage by saying the same stuff every season also lets you see who’s actually doing their jobs instead of linking us to stupid bloody names for the sake of it