All things Dundee FC

Daily Record following a similar story today saying Celtic are preparing to bid 800k but a Dens Park source said that would come absolutely, nowhere close to what we want.

It's good to see that we are making a public stand. If Celtic actually do bid 800k I'd expect Hendry to be a Celtic player by the end of the day.

That being said, if he doesn't have a clause in his contract it'd be the first time we'd actually get to see Nelms react to a bid and see how he values our players. Our owners are pretty successful businessmen, probably the most successful businessmen to own a Scottish club at this moment in time. They've never experienced the hassle of an OF club courting a 'diddy' club player before and it's not as if Keyes will be pressurised by the media, he spends the majority of his time in Texas. I reckon there's potential for us to just tell Celtic to cough up an unreasonable figure or just bolt.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Daily Record following a similar story today saying Celtic are preparing to bid 800k but a Dens Park source said that would come absolutely, nowhere close to what we want.

It's good to see that we are making a public stand. If Celtic actually do bid 800k I'd expect Hendry to be a Celtic player by the end of the day.

That being said, if he doesn't have a clause in his contract it'd be the first time we'd actually get to see Nelms react to a bid and see how he values our players. Our owners are pretty successful businessmen, probably the most successful businessmen to own a Scottish club at this moment in time. They've never experienced the hassle of an OF club courting a 'diddy' club player before and it's not as if Keyes will be pressurised by the media, he spends the majority of his time in Texas. I reckon there's potential for us to just tell Celtic to cough up an unreasonable figure or just bolt.

It's complete nonsense. Scottish teams always sell their players for peanuts and then get into a right state spending a fortune on the general instability that follows which can even result in relegation which hugely damages the structure of the club.

Even Motherwell being applauded for getting a 'good' fee for Moult is a nonsense and a sign of how low expectations have fallen. I think they'll be OK but in the last round of fixtures they have hit relegation form (4 points from the last round of fixtures) and they've just given away a tool which I think would make survival near certain and thrown their hopes to someone completely erratic. There's never an ideal time to lose a player but at least they would have had more manoeuvrability to adapt in the summer. It could genuinely be a mistake which dooms the club to the second tier for 5-10 years and suffocates their long-term attendance figures.

£350k for Thistle to lose their best defender as well has the potential to be completely disastrous for them. You can't keep players forever and there does come a time but with the risk involved in losing these guys, fees around seven figures are justified and that sort of money is easily in the game.  Scottish teams really need to stop being absolute shitebags when it comes to this sort of thing, they really are not getting a fair fee and time and time again, we see teams coming off worse. Thompson at United at least got good money for players and wasn't so hasty until the mismanagement and self-destruction in their last season (although I expect management decisions like choosing an amateur goalkeeper as number 1 'keeper for the season were catalysts).

For Hendry, I hope the board do hold out and get something fair. My worry would usually be that their inexperience in this would mean they'd be a bit over-reliant on counsel (and fall for thick as shit media pieces) but they have now seen the difficulty in what happened when we lost Hemmings and Stewart; McCann also seems to be fighting his corner and it's implied he's pushing for a high fee.

5 minutes ago, harry94 said:

It's complete nonsense. Scottish teams always sell their players for peanuts and then get into a right state spending a fortune on the general instability that follows which can even result in relegation which hugely damages the structure of the club.

Even Motherwell being applauded for getting a 'good' fee for Moult is a nonsense and a sign of how low expectations have fallen. I think they'll be OK but in the last round of fixtures they have hit relegation form (4 points from the last round of fixtures) and they've just given away a tool which I think would make survival near certain and thrown their hopes to someone completely erratic. There's never an ideal time to lose a player but at least they would have had more manoeuvrability to adapt in the summer. It could genuinely be a mistake which dooms the club to the second tier for 5-10 years and suffocates their long-term attendance figures.

£350k for Thistle to lose their best defender as well has the potential to be completely disastrous for them. You can't keep players forever and there does come a time but with the risk involved in losing these guys, fees around seven figures are justified and that sort of money is easily in the game.  Scottish teams really need to stop being absolute shitebags when it comes to this sort of thing, they really are not getting a fair fee and time and time again, we see teams coming off worse. Thompson at United at least got good money for players and wasn't so hasty until the mismanagement and self-destruction in their last season (although I expect management decisions like choosing an amateur goalkeeper as number 1 'keeper for the season were catalysts).

For Hendry, I hope the board do hold out and get something fair. My worry would usually be that their inexperience in this would mean they'd be a bit over-reliant on counsel (and fall for thick as shit media pieces) but they have now seen the difficulty in what happened when we lost Hemmings and Stewart; McCann also seems to be fighting his corner and it's implied he's pushing for a high fee.

The issue is players force a move. Our clubs hold almost zero appeal. 

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Radio Tay saying that the Saintees are in for Danny Swanson again. He’d be a perfect signing for us imo, play him in El Bahktoui position. 

You've no chance if we're interested. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The issue is players force a move. Our clubs hold almost zero appeal. 

They are contractually obliged to play and once February 1st comes, they need to be playing to attract suitors.

It's not ideal to have an unsettled player and ideally, you let them go for a good fee but it is a process which will often require huge upheaval in itself (i.e. a team often to change how they play - a run of form which usually then leads to a large compensation payout to a sacked manager). You're never going to keep players forever but asserting a little bit more control over the situation and even allowing a player to leave for free is often more beneficial than a couple of hundred thousand which will be squandered as quick as it arrives.

20 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

:lol: speechless 

It's a fact. MOH turned down Aberdeen and Motherwell to join us in the Summer. Swansons is an identical position and will move to where he feels most comfortable. Unless someone blows our offer out the water, or Hibs decide to keep him, we'll get him

20 minutes ago, harry94 said:

They are contractually obliged to play and once February 1st comes, they need to be playing to attract suitors.

It's not ideal to have an unsettled player and ideally, you let them go for a good fee but it is a process which will often require huge upheaval in itself (i.e. a team often to change how they play - a run of form which usually then leads to a large compensation payout to a sacked manager). You're never going to keep players forever but asserting a little bit more control over the situation and even allowing a player to leave for free is often more beneficial than a couple of hundred thousand which will be squandered as quick as it arrives.

I know, but performances dip. We had the issue with O'Halloran where we rejected offers from Rangers for over a month, and the player gradually got worse and worse to the point where he wasn't affecting games at all and the £500k we recieved like a cracking deal. 

I'm agreeing with all your principles, but it just doesn't work like that. 

It's a fact. MOH turned down Aberdeen and Motherwell to join us in the Summer. Swansons is an identical position and will move to where he feels most comfortable. Unless someone blows our offer out the water, or Hibs decide to keep him, we'll get him

He's ripped the piss out of you how many times now? I don't think he really cares about his fall back option. You're the fat lass basically.

That said, I don't really rate Swanson that much, so I don't think McCann will go for him.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's ripped the piss out of you how many times now? I don't think he really cares about his fall back option. You're the fat lass basically.

That said, I don't really rate Swanson that much, so I don't think McCann will go for him.

Three times at least by my count, I've no doubt at all he'd be joining us purely to impress Lennon for when he returns to Hibs. I struggle to give much of a f**k if he manages to, yet again, pitch in performances that get us top six football though. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

44 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think this is a cracking interview with McCann by The Courier. That paper gets a lot of deserved stick but thoroughly enjoyed this article: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/580590/dundee-boss-neil-mccann-insists-work-dens-just-begun/

Good read that, very frank and candid interview.

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

Moult not playing was a factor but it wasn't the sole reason for the poor form. Having half a team out injured had much more to do with it. Carson was barely half fit in the game against Dundee at Fir Park and he won us a point. We effectively played the entire 2nd half with 10 men on account of Frear's injury, not to mention Cadden being forced off as we'd rushed him back too soon. So aye, our form has been pish and and it has coincided with Moult not being available but there's far more to it that "losing Moult has/will cost us".

Chances are that with a fully fit Carson, Hartley, Cadden and Frear available we'd have taken more from the run of fixtures post-Celtic. But we didn't. Could've, would've, should've. Had Dundee went through December without Parish, Hendry, Meekings, Kamara and Allan then there's a fair chance that results would have been different.

The reason Motherwell are being applauded for getting a "good" fee is that because without even factoring in his goals and contribution to the cup run they've brought in 10 times what they spent on the player, with the potential to earn more if Moult makes a go of it at Preston and earns another move. The reality is that we brought in more than Aberdeen offered in the summer for a player who had no intention of signing a new deal and whose contract expiring meant he could leave for nothing.

All this stuff has been covered fairly extensively. Motherwell sold the club to Moult when he signed saying, "we'll give you a platform to perform and earn a move to a more lucrative deal." The whole premise of Motherwell's business model is that if an offer comes in that suits all parties then they won't stand in the player's way if he wants to move. If he doesn't then great, which is what seems to have happened with the Aberdeen offer; they didn't meet Motherwell's valuation and the player wasn't really that interested in the move so it was patched.

The offer from Preston came in which allows his family to move back closer to home, bumps his salary considerably and allows him to play in a league that he views as being a step up. In addition to that Preston have paid a fee that's higher than the sole offer the club received for the player last summer when he had a full year left on his deal. In short, there's not a chance that was being knocked back.

If Motherwell were to force the player to stay and see out the season then they'd essentially be going back on their word.

If Dundee manage to get £1.5m for Hendry then good work but I honestly don't think any Motherwell supporter is looking at the Moult sale thinking it's a bad deal. Moult (like Marvin Johnson and Ben Heneghan) was brought to the club with a view to him being sold on for profit. That's exactly what's happened.

Edited by capt_oats