All things Dundee FC

Too much tinkering tonight, in fact far too much.

Absolutely no need to change from the back 4 of the last 3 games that have defended so well plus O’Hara gets moved to wing back after scoring 3 in 3 games and looking pretty good. Over complicating things when there’s no need to. Totally lost our shape when Gowser and Deacon went off. Hearts resulting to brutality when Deacon was ripping their fullback was just typical of Levein and his tactics  

Both goals were our fault. Gowser losing the ball in Hearts half, they break up the park and score. An easy pass out wide was his option. Then Cammy has a horrendous mis-kick in our box leaving Berra the easiest of chances to score. Having said that Moussa would’ve missed it. 

I actually thought we were comfortable 1st half and pretty good the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half until it went 2 nil with the Hearts fans getting on their players backs. The big worry is that in those 20 minutes that we were dominant Hearts had the better chances. We’re in dire need of 2 strikers. I’d get rid of AJLS in January to free up a wage. 

We played a back 3 away to County, switched to a back 3 against Rangers when Allan came on and started with a back 3 against Aberdeen before switching to a back 4 midway through the first half. The only change was Waddell coming in for Kerr, which I don’t think was necessary even though Cammy’s final ball was poor on Friday against Aberdeen.

10 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Too much tinkering tonight, in fact far too much.

Absolutely no need to change from the back 4 of the last 3 games that have defended so well plus O’Hara gets moved to wing back after scoring 3 in 3 games and looking pretty good. Over complicating things when there’s no need to. Totally lost our shape when Gowser and Deacon went off. Hearts resulting to brutality when Deacon was ripping their fullback was just typical of Levein and his tactics  

Both goals were our fault. Gowser losing the ball in Hearts half, they break up the park and score. An easy pass out wide was his option. Then Cammy has a horrendous mis-kick in our box leaving Berra the easiest of chances to score. Having said that Moussa would’ve missed it. 

I actually thought we were comfortable 1st half and pretty good the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half until it went 2 nil with the Hearts fans getting on their players backs. The big worry is that in those 20 minutes that we were dominant Hearts had the better chances. We’re in dire need of 2 strikers. I’d get rid of AJLS in January to free up a wage. 

Don’t get me wrong I love Gowser’s passion and effort but what you’ve described is absolutely typical and he does it repeatedly every game.  

Just about every time Gowser gets the ball he does a (slow) 360 degree turn before looking for a pass.   These constant ‘pirouettes’ hold up play, prevent a quick counter attack and allow the opposition to get back into shape.  

He can't kick with his left foot either and to compensate for that he tries to pass with the outside of his right foot.  These efforts are weaker than his shots and we all know how weak they are!

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

How many of you have actually seen Matty Henvey play? 

I'll be honest I haven't seen him play as I've never gone along to an U 20s game as they're usually played in Montrose I think.  Having said that this is what I do know:

Leitch-Smith scores half the games he starts (something like 4 from 8), but since the 'penalty taking' incident against Partick he has found himself only able to make the subs bench.

Haber and McCann have been going at it since the end of last season when NM pointed out that he was lazy and was going to need to step up his game. He is lazy (or appears so), but he scores and assists at a much higher rate than Moussa.

Moussa scored a boatload of goals vs Raith, Cowdenbeath, and Buckie Thistle in the Betfred Cup, but in the top league he looks clumsy, lead-footed, and inept, and has scored one goal, a penalty. His effort is fine, but the endless missed sitters, and falling down looking for fouls is now an established pattern.

ElBak rare moments of brilliance , but at the end of the day only about 5 goals in 40 + games, gets bodied off the ball so easily, and gives it away constantly.

Wighton is injured.

I hope that McCann is going to try and address this in the transfer window, but my concern right now is that Dundee still have four games to play this month that we have to deal with, and not just piss away.

If we play with a big target man then I'm afraid it has to be Haber over Moussa, but if we want to play with a more nippy striker then it has to be AJLS, and if he is still in the bad books then I'm clutching at straws and suggesting Henvey.  Or maybe even Haber with AJLS playing just off him looking for knockdowns, and thru balls from Allan.

Watching Moussa, Deacon, ElBak miss absolute sitters is annoying to say the least especially when the one guy (AJLS) with a decent strike rate is stapled to the bench until the last 15 minutes of every game is really a head shaker. Just one man's opinion though that can Henvey be any worse?

Hearts played with a 16 yr old tonight so why not us when we've got a youngster that knows where the net is playing for the youths. Just trying to see how we can setup best for these last four games this month. Fellow Dees what combination would you go for before the transfer window comes along?

I'm in the anyone but Moussa camp. I can't believe people were seriously say, 'aw but he could be decent, he created a chance and had a shot on target against Aberdeen' which is how low the expectations of him now are.

Haber is a lazy b*****d, but play the ball in the air to him and he will link it up. He joined in October last season, and ended up with the highest amount of headers won in the league. He's lazy and he misses the odd opportunity but he's of decent quality whereas Moussa is just shite.

I'd accept ajls although the way McCann has us playing, the ball just doesn't stick up top when he's on his own.

Haber till January then replace the lot of them.

16 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

I'll be honest I haven't seen him play as I've never gone along to an U 20s game as they're usually played in Montrose I think.  Having said that this is what I do know:

Leitch-Smith scores half the games he starts (something like 4 from 8), but since the 'penalty taking' incident against Partick he has found himself only able to make the subs bench.

Haber and McCann have been going at it since the end of last season when NM pointed out that he was lazy and was going to need to step up his game. He is lazy (or appears so), but he scores and assists at a much higher rate than Moussa.

Moussa scored a boatload of goals vs Raith, Cowdenbeath, and Buckie Thistle in the Betfred Cup, but in the top league he looks clumsy, lead-footed, and inept, and has scored one goal, a penalty. His effort is fine, but the endless missed sitters, and falling down looking for fouls is now an established pattern.

ElBak rare moments of brilliance , but at the end of the day only about 5 goals in 40 + games, gets bodied off the ball so easily, and gives it away constantly.

Wighton is injured.

I hope that McCann is going to try and address this in the transfer window, but my concern right now is that Dundee still have four games to play this month that we have to deal with, and not just piss away.

If we play with a big target man then I'm afraid it has to be Haber over Moussa, but if we want to play with a more nippy striker then it has to be AJLS, and if he is still in the bad books then I'm clutching at straws and suggesting Henvey.  Or maybe even Haber with AJLS playing just off him looking for knockdowns, and thru balls from Allan.

Watching Moussa, Deacon, ElBak miss absolute sitters is annoying to say the least especially when the one guy (AJLS) with a decent strike rate is stapled to the bench until the last 15 minutes of every game is really a head shaker. Just one man's opinion though that can Henvey be any worse?

Hearts played with a 16 yr old tonight so why not us when we've got a youngster that knows where the net is playing for the youths. Just trying to see how we can setup best for these last four games this month. Fellow Dees what combination would you go for before the transfer window comes along?

AJLS with Deacon Allan and ohara or elbak playing behind him.  With Kamara and mcgowan or Curran in centre mid. Kerr jon Hendry meekings at the back and parish in the sticks. But I'm not NM 

23 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

AJLS with Deacon Allan and ohara or elbak playing behind him.  With Kamara and mcgowan or Curran in centre mid. Kerr jon Hendry meekings at the back and parish in the sticks. But I'm not NM 

I'd probably be tempted to start Haber up top, with AJLS running just off him as for the rest I'll have to see what the injury situation is before the weekend as both Deacon and Hendry went off injured tonight. And I'm not NM either, but I think Moussa needs to take a seat at the moment.

"Moussa gets the ball caught between his feet and can't get the shot off"

"Moussa goes down"

"Moussa robbed of possession"

"Moussa caught offside"

"Moussa puts it well wide"

Just some of the things heard on sportsound last night, holy f**k he is shite!

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

"Moussa gets the ball caught between his feet and can't get the shot off"

"Moussa goes down"

"Moussa robbed of possession"

"Moussa caught offside"

"Moussa puts it well wide"

Just some of the things heard on sportsound last night, holy f**k he is shite!

That one alone is on the shortcut key of whoever does the official match reports...

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Needed to get rid of Moussa as my DP.

Thanks lads.

Good idea Ludo, it clearly wasn't working. I see you've gone with our man Jocky. Let's hope NM follows your lead Saturday, and bins Moussa. At this point I'll settle for any combination upfront as long as Moussa isn't part of it. 

I still can't wrap my head around how bad he looks with the ball at his feet in scoring positions in the top league??? I get that when he was on fire it was during the Betfred Cup against lower league teams, but why surely an open goal is an open goal whether it's Raith, Cowden, Aberdeen or County?? I really don't know what to make of it except to say that if NM persists with him then I hope to hell he shows me up, but at the moment I cannae see it.

What do you think of our lazy big man, wannabe fashion mogul, and ripped jean aficionado Haber upfront with AJLS partnering him up?

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Haber is really good at pretending to challenge for headers, I’ll give him that.

Exactly this.  Haber struggles against the more physical type of defender.  Is this not exactly what the Thistle centre backs are?

Moussa:  His chance right in front of goal against Hearts says it all.   He should shoot with his left foot but panics and thinks he’ll have time in the 6 yard box to get it back onto his right foot.  Sums up his lack of understanding about what a striker is all about.

El Bak:   Wastes what little attacking moves we have with crazy shots when a simple pass is the answer.  His concentration is also unbelievably poor.  Constantly fails to look around him to see what the man he should be marking is doing.

AJLS:  As seen at Dens even Scott Brown is quicker than him!  From his few starts though I think he could be an effective poacher in the box type striker.

Moussa, Haber and El Bak have constantly shown they are nowhere near good, hard working or intelligent enough.  What’s the point in persisting with them?  By continuing to play them  McCann looks more and more like a gambler at the roulette table convinced his luck is about to change. 

Yes it would be a massive step up for Henvey but it can’t be doing his confidence any good knowing that despite the situation we are in he’s not getting a chance to show the Derry what he can do!

For me I’d go AJLS with Henvey.  McCann  make it happen!

Given that it's Christmas I'm prepared to personally charter a boat to dump Moussa at sea, provided he doesn't play on Saturday.  This will be an early gift to my fellow Dees and also to myself. Hoping that the Derry will be open again on Saturday, looking forward to it in a sort of 'our entire season depends on 3 points' kind of way. Jingle bells.

thank you.