All things Dundee FC

My current 30 minute walk up to Dens is about to be replaced by either a 90 minute walk or over an hour of bus journeys (probably costing about a fiver). Gutted isnae even the word.

I'm not that bothered by the idea of moving stadium in and of itself, but why the f**k do they have to put it over at the shite end of the city to be surrounded by Industrial Estates, a country park, and fucking Dryburgh?

Less of shite end of the city. [emoji15][emoji15]

My current 30 minute walk up to Dens is about to be replaced by either a 90 minute walk or over an hour of bus journeys (probably costing about a fiver). Gutted isnae even the word.

I'm not that bothered by the idea of moving stadium in and of itself, but why the f**k do they have to put it over at the shite end of the city to be surrounded by Industrial Estates, a country park, and fucking Dryburgh?

I live in classy Whitfield so this move will also cause me a longer journey on the bus,sad days indeed.

The architect involved (Bob Hynd) was also involved in designing the dog track, the ice rink (Under Dixon), the new stands, the club shop, the upgrade to the lounges and he also dealt with the sign-over of the club from Dixon to the Marrs which led to him staying on the board and becoming a non-executive director. He's since been on the board for DFCSS as well at one point. Seems he's our go to guy. Least it's a Dundee fan that's partly designing the new stadium which is a plus.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

First Aberdeen and now Dundee. f**k me sideways. Look at the state of that stadium. A dark blue Almondvale on the outskirts of Dundee. Might as well kiss goodbye to pub lunches in Trades and pints in town when it's away day. Might as well get off the train in Invergowrie. Tragic.

It'll be 10/15 minutes in a taxi m8 :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The architect involved (Bob Hynd) was also involved in designing the dog track, the ice rink (Under Dixon), the new stands, the club shop, the upgrade to the lounges and he also dealt with the sign-over of the club from Dixon to the Marrs which led to him staying on the board and becoming a non-executive director. He's since been on the board for DFCSS as well at one point. Seems he's our go to guy. Least it's a Dundee fan that's partly designing the new stadium which is a plus.

Cheers Ludo, I was wondering about Bob Hynd - hope they do a better job than they did with the ice rink but fair play to him if he's been as involved in the club for as long anyway!

He was in hospo during the Arab game. He interrupted me trying to chat up Albert Kydd and Cammy.

Back on planet earth where the f**k is the money to build this place going to come from?

First Aberdeen and now Dundee. f**k me sideways. Look at the state of that stadium. A dark blue Almondvale on the outskirts of Dundee. Might as well kiss goodbye to pub lunches in Trades and pints in town when it's away day. Might as well get off the train in Invergowrie. Tragic.

The ground in the design is just zoning blocks. Don't think it'll be a bowl like what is implied.

I'm sure that will be convenient option for the several thousand supporters heading to the game on a Saturday.

It'll be convenient for you and your pals heading to the game after beers in the city centre FFS.

Plus there'll be new pubs for you to discover that are within walking distance of Camperdown.

Looks like this is happening. It doesn't have to be shite. It might end up being shite but wait till it's been up for a while before condemning it.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

He was in hospo during the Arab game. He interrupted me trying to chat up Albert Kydd and Cammy.

Back on planet earth where the f**k is the money to build this place going to come from?

Well, we do have a billionaire owner and I expect he'll see it as a long-term investment to hoover up all the external uses it will provide. They've already spent £1.2million purchasing the land.

Just a word on Keyes, his dad, James Keyes was the CEO of Johnson Controls which was worth $22 billion when he retired in 2003. Since then, he's formed Keyes Capital with his son which invests in companies worth between $2million-$20million and he's probably better well known in the States for randomly donating his money to different US Universities. For example, from what I can see, he donated $7.2million to a University in 2007. So they're certainly not short of cash. It's harder finding information about the son and our overlord Tim, but he seems to be taking over a lot of his dad's work thus why John Nelms is basically the caretaker at Dens.

The Keyes Capital 'Company Profile' gives some indication of how they think they might be able to recoup their investment with us though:

Keyes Capital is a private investment firm based in Austin, TX with an additional office in Charleston, SC. The principals of the firm have been investing in, operating and managing companies for over 50 years. We have led companies as small as a start-up to as large as a Fortune 100 Company. Our investment philosophy is based on generating meaningful returns over a long-term horizon by partnering with knowledgeable professionals.

We invest primarily the Keyes family money and therefore do not have any limited partners which require a return of capital in a fixed period of time. This allows us to be patient long-term investors.

We prefer to invest where we can add value through our industry knowledge and contacts. We have experience and relationships in a number of different industries including automotive, business services, construction, energy/HVAC, financial services, niche manufacturing, office products, telecommunications and utilities. For operating companies our focus is on significant ownership positions through the acquisition or recapitalization of private companies. We will also consider growth equity investments in mature companies needing additional capital for growth.

We invest alongside our management teams to create a common vision and goal of creating shareholder value. We assist them with strategic planning, financing and growing the company in a consistent, sustainable manner. We are not venture or turnaround investors.

We are also active investors in real estate. We follow a similar approach to our operating company investments by seeking long-term value creation in partnership with experienced real estate professionals.

Make no doubts about it, they'll want to see a strong Dundee on the park but I think they see the long term investment from the money that the facilities will provide. The Keyes family sound too good to be true considering our previous owners. One thing that cannot be questioned though, is that these guys have serious dosh to play with, unlike many of our previous 'investors'. The question is, if they really are so savvy, why are they investing in a Scottish football side with an incredible amount of baggage?

13 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The ground in the design is just zoning blocks. Don't think it'll be a bowl like what is implied.

The rumour was that we are going to be using Rotherham's stadium as a comparison. The Courier is running with a story that we're planning a 15,000 seater. Rotherham's stadium is around about 12k.

One thing about bowl stadiums, that a mate of mines brought up, was that when playing a big game, a lot of the ground goes to waste due to segregation, with a big sheet of tarpaulin used as a divider. Imagine the Derry only being seperated from the DAB's only by a sheet of tarpaulin. Oft.

57 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Never mind the money, where the f**k is the proposed Caballero Arch?

56 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The question is, if they really are so savvy, why are they investing in a Scottish football side with an incredible amount of baggage?

Because when they first picked us up, they got in for pennies relative to the possible potential considering the history of the club and a possibility of building up a bigger fan base. Not that I'm a believer in the "sleeping giant of Scottish football" line that we've heard often, but we do realistically have a claim to being one of the 10 biggest clubs in Scotland. With good management on and off the field (something we haven't had in a few decades), I don't see why we couldn't push for top six on a consistent basis considering St Johnstone have managed to do it on fewer fans and less historical prestige. Add in the fact that Scottish football as a whole has the potential to be a lot bigger and better than it currently is in terms of global positioning and branding. 

That, and the fact that we're their first foray into owning and operating a professional sports club. A small basketcase club with potential and a fairly cheap buy in, isn't really that crazy or risky an investment.

Edited by AnAnInginAneAnA