All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, come the end of the season when we're lifting the league trophy, 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You think it's a winnable competition with Celtic still in it?

Oh, Random Guy :(

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:51, johnnydun said:

Aye we need to offload Julen and McPake.

Still think Julen can do a job for us. McPake is a Hartley mistake that we will pay for till the end of his contract. Very much doubt there will be any offloading - even Hartley wouldn't sign them (or Hateley, would he?).

What we have had is an additional game against Utd and Celtic, the funds of which could be used for a half decent loan striker.

Would prefer to see O'Dea dropped until he is properly fit - not something he's looked this season. Any news on Gadz being back - need for a short term loan?

Still think Julen can do a job for us. McPake is a Hartley mistake that we will pay for till the end of his contract. Very much doubt there will be any offloading - even Hartley wouldn't sign them (or Hateley, would he?).
What we have had is an additional game against Utd and Celtic, the funds of which could be used for a half decent loan striker.
Would prefer to see O'Dea dropped until he is properly fit - not something he's looked this season. Any news on Gadz being back - need for a short term loan?

Why is McPake a Hartley mistake? Strongly disagree. McPake was a coup when we signed him and whilst he was dipping before he got injured, he was still a very good CH for us. A fully fit and firing McPake would ease his way into our back line.

Hartley was also evidently grooming him to takeover once he left to bigger and better things all going well. It might be an expense that Hartley or McCann might have regretted but I'm also glad we went above and beyond when McPake was potentially suffering the worst time of his professional career by showing faith and giving him an extension. We've extensively used him behind the scenes (At least until McCann came in) so it's not like he was a wasted wage. He even done the trip to the US with the board promoting the club. His time as a player may well be done now, which is sad to see, but he gave everything for the club and I'm glad we reciprocated.

I agree with everything else you say, except I don't think Julen can do a job - now that was a massive mistake by Hartley. He's a Spanish Neil McGregor!

Julen is shit and McPake was a massive mistake by Hartley I agree. He was a reasonable CH, O'Dea standard but far from excellent. We've paid him for 18 months now and apart from jollys here and there, photos etc he's contributed nothing on the playing field. Yes his injury was unfortunate but that's part and parcel of being a professional football player, they have insurance to cover career ending injuries. If by paying him we can't afford another CH and we get relegated the affect on other players in the squad could be very serious. I feel sorry for McPake but shite things happen in life.

In hindsight due to his injury McPake was a mistake however when fit and playing done a great job for us IMO.

Puts the whole Meekings move into perspective, we surely can't consider taking him on via anything other than a pay as you play deal.

Id still like to see some shake up in defence from McCann. Whether this be cracking skulls or a new face.

You sign 8-10 players THEN McCann comes out saying yeah, we really need a scouting network...

McCann can't complain if you lot struggle this season if he's used his budget and blindly scatter-gun'd these signings without really looking at them

ETA: just saying because I prefer you lot than the cuntos across the road from you

Edited by cilitbang

56 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

How do you know the budget is gone and how often McCann looked at the players?

I said IF he's used his budget

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40635626

Quotes like "the club really doesn't have any recruitment system behind it" + "rather than running about crazy 24 hours a day taking calls, looking on Wyscout, looking at games" suggests he hasn't seen much of the signings that came outwith Scotland, and Whyscout is Youtube highlights without the shit music.

And you can argue McCann's foot was half out the door which lead to the Jack Ross funsies

2 hours ago, cilitbang said:

You sign 8-10 players THEN McCann comes out saying yeah, we really need a scouting network...

McCann can't complain if you lot struggle this season if he's used his budget and blindly scatter-gun'd these signings without really looking at them

ETA: just saying because I prefer you lot than the cuntos across the road from you

I don't really see a problem with what he's said. He's obviously responsible for his signing and has had a good amount of resources to spend but it's fair enough that he's identified something for improvement long term; it doesn't seem controversial in any way to me.

For me, I think my minimum expectation on him is that he does keep our heads relatively comfortably above water in terms of relegation and we see a bit more competitiveness in the cup games that we've been papped out of so easily and we see a bit more of a fight in the games like Aberdeen. There looks to be a dramatic increase in the possession stats so far and we do seem to have improved the midfield issue so I am pretty hopeful that it will be the case long term. I'm quietly optimistic that we're capable of springing a surprise in or two in our next few games but just wanting to really see something that shows there is something there.

It is always going to be pretty tough going when that sort of change is required to a lower mid table side in this league and the odds are that a few of them will be failures. If we have just say four of the signings go on to be pretty solid players at this level and become established, that's probably not that bad in the grand scheme of things and the next window should be easier.

Kamara and Deacons agent had a striker called JJ Hooper who signed for Grimsby last week. Had decent pedigree in the lower leagues, hope we'd have looked at him.

Tried to find a list of other players he represents but struggling other than people he mentions on twitter.