All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I didn't hear any of this yesterday being honest. I was sat in the main stand as well which is usually the worst for it. Thought the crowd were actually reasonably patient yesterday.

There was a lot of it around me in the Bobby Cox. May well have just been in the area I was sitting but it seemed to be happening fairly regularly, which I thought was odd given that we were bossing the game. 

Thought we did not to bad yesterday and definitely looked the better side. Don't really think anyone had a bad game maybe only Moussa but he never really got the supply he needed. When El Bak was about to come on it was hard to find a player who you would have taken off for him to replace because everyone was playing decent if that was last year we would have been screaming out for a sub and could have named 3 or 4 players to be replaced, we kept our heads up after we went a goal down and got the equaliser and after that we were unlucky not to get the winner. 

Think we look a much much stronger side than last season with much more depth, still early days onwards and upwards 100%.

Thank you

Think it was O'Hara who put in a couple of great balls from the left wing in the first half?  One was absolutely delicious.  Could fucking taste it from Inverness.

My take on the game, for the little that it's worth:

Bain: Rarely troubled and wasn't really at fault for the goal but loses marks for that revolting outfit. It made the dayglo kits at the other end of the pitch look a little dull and that's never a good thing. 

Kerr: The fact he's a Dundee supporter is superb news because I think he's got the potential to go far and we could struggle to hold on to him. He's quick, positionally aware and good and going forward as well as defending. 

Waddell: For a young lad playing in what I'd imagine was his biggest game of his career, he did well. Nothing too fancy but got stuck in and, in my opinion, played better than O'Dea at the back. 

O'Dea: I thought he was a little wobbly today and didn't play as well as we know he can. 

Holt: Hmmm, I'm not convinced and couldn't decide whether he's an attacking defender or a defensive attacker. That said, it feels as though he thinks he's better in his head than he actually is and needs to keep it a lot simpler. Agree with other posters that he needs to stop taking set pieces for two reasons: 1) he's pish at taking them; and 2) he's big so probably more use in the box. 

Deacon: Depending on which reports you read today, he was either the best player on the pitch or completely anonymous. I'm inclined to go with the former and thought he had a pretty good game, other than the one-on-one that he butchered towards the end and the feeble penalty attempt. Definitely the potential to be a good signing. 

McGowan: Even on his off days it's hilarious to watch Gowser. I genuinely thought he was going to headbutt O'Hara on the halfway line after he'd scored because he was that pumped. Absolute lunatic but glad he's one of us. 

Kamara: Potentially a class act who seemed to always be in the right place and looked like he was strolling around. Reminded me a little of Kevin McDonald and I think he could be a decent player for us. 

O'Hara: I know that some people don't rate him but I think he does the jobs that no one else wants to. He gets stuck in, always gives everything and often disrupts the opposition going forward. Scored a decent goal as well so I thought he was one of our better players yesterday.  

Allan: Superb. Nothing else to say. 

Moussa: The laddy's undoubtedly an entertainer and seems to love playing but I think I, along with many others on here, am yet to be convinced he can cut it against teams other than the likes of Cowdenbeath. 

Wolters: Best of the subs and definitely worthy of a start I think. Someone posted yesterday that they would start Randy on the left wing and move Allan into the middle behind the striker(s) and I think that would work well. Not sure who to drop but I'd imagine O'Hara could be the victim (despite me saying that I thought he played well). 

El Bak: Didn't really offer much and seemed to be playing too deep and not up with Moussa. 

Hendry: Similar to Waddell, he's only young but held his own for the short time that he was on the pitch and I wouldn't be too nervous if he ended up starting games for us. 

Without marking players individually out of 10, I'd give us a solid 6 out of 10 as a team. 

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

McGowan works hard but he losses the ball so easily in the middle of the park which led to a few breaks from United.
Deacon needs to practice his crossing.
Defence and midfield needs to be tighter.
A clean sheet again would be nice

He was only caught on the ball once......thought he had a very good game. 

If I had a concern against United other than what's already been mentioned, there were a couple of instances where we just parted and allowed them to run at our CH's. We've got 3 players in midfield who are full of energy in O'Hara, McGowan and Kamara so hopefully that'll come.

I'm feeling really positive about our season, we look a lot stronger and have filled a few much needed positions. My only worry is our attacking threat, but I do reckon our midfield will chip in with a good few more than last season.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If I had a concern against United other than what's already been mentioned, there were a couple of instances where we just parted and allowed them to run at our CH's. We've got 3 players in midfield who are full of energy in O'Hara, McGowan and Kamara so hopefully that'll come.

I'm feeling really positive about our season, we look a lot stronger and have filled a few much needed positions. My only worry is our attacking threat, but I do reckon our midfield will chip in with a good few more than last season.

Agreed Ludo. 

Oh for a Kane Hemmings. 

45 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

El Bak might be our version of James Forrest - plenty of endeavour but he doesn't look like he has a real grasp of the tactical side of the game, tends to just want to run at players (which is fine) but not much beyond that (which is very Forrest-like)

Agree with this.

If Neil McCann managers individual players well El Bak has the potential to benefit massively. Ability at football largely = Technique + Decision making + Positioning. At the moment El Bak only has one of these things, but it is the most importantly one by a mile. You will never turn a player with rubbish technique into Ronaldo in their early 20s, but you can tell them where to stand.

Edited by The Algebraist

Can anyone tell me how the gate receipts are split in the League Cup games ? 2 home Derbies must be worth a lot, especially when you consider how we have performed in the cups in the previous few years. A long cup run would be better, but surely these 2 games must give us an unexpected boost..time for a new signing ?

I know I watch a different game , sure I do. Was a lot more than once. However would rather kamara sat back deeper if McGowan is going to try take on players.
Allan passing is good and I hope we took him off to make sure he didn't get injured

A PnB Dee mate of mine who was watching the game on TV reckoned Kamara was the most at fault for their goal. It certainly looked like a complete clusterfuck.

Can anyone tell me how the gate receipts are split in the League Cup games ? 2 home Derbies must be worth a lot, especially when you consider how we have performed in the cups in the previous few years. A long cup run would be better, but surely these 2 games must give us an unexpected boost..time for a new signing ?

15% of the gate is deducted from the overall figure by the home club then whatever is left gets split evenly between the two teams. This next derby will surely bring another little added boost considering it's on BT again.

Also, seen a tweet earlier saying Nelms was apparently speaking to a few people in the Main stand yesterday about a new signing to be announced this week as well.

21 minutes ago, FreddieDaquin. said:

15% of the gate is deducted from the overall figure by the home club then whatever is left gets split evenly between the two teams. This next derby will surely bring another little added boost considering it's on BT again.

This. Unfortunately, we only got £10k in TV money yesterday and will get £20k for the next round being televised; being televised in the League Cup is potentially a tad detrimental.

I presume though that its only the price of the entry tickets that are split and that the home team gets a boost with sale of extra corporate packages.

Either way, 20k fee paying customers and a bit of tv money over 2 games must be worth at least 1 additional player..

We played you off the park as the stats suggest, and you rode your luck in the second half. Think most of us can see that so aren't too bothered about losing a meaningless penalty shootout which we all knew we'd lose anyway.

I don't think you can say dundee "played them off the park". United were the better team the first half

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

I don't think you can say dundee "played them off the park". United were the better team the first half

I don't believe I'm letting any bias affect my judgement when I say this, but I thought both teams were equally fucking pish in the first half.

I don't believe I'm letting any bias affect my judgement when I say this, but I thought both teams were equally fucking pish in the first half.

Except we were by fucking miles the least pish. We played the entire first 30 minutes in United's half.
Some people are completely clueless.

Except we were by fucking miles the least pish. We played the entire first 30 minutes in United's half.
Some people are completely clueless.

Did you create any chances in the first half? Can't remember seeing any. All well and good having possession but pointless if you can't create chances. All the pundits agreed United were better in the first half.