Lorne, slice, square

What’s the difference between square sausage (lorne) and steak slice? I was in a roll shop in Glasgow and asked for a roll and square sausage with onions, and she shouted to ask wether I wanted lorne or steak slice. It’s rare to hear anyone in Glasgow call it lorne apart from the butchers, but steak slice was a new one on me. It didn’t look or taste any different to a square sausage as far as I could tell. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Steak slice is infinitely better if it's 'shop butcher'. 

Butcher shop, I wouldn't say there is that glaring a difference.

Edit : same applies for onion slice.

Steak slice has completely passed me by then. It did seem a bit softer than your usual square sausage but tasted pretty similar. 

Happened across a later episode of Still Game last night - Winston had become an internet sensation (‘Shut it tadger!’) - and was horrified to hear him making a triple decker roll with ‘flat’ sausage. Never in it’s lifetime has sausage of any variety been referred to as ‘flat’ in Glasgow.

Proof, if any more were ever required, that Hemphill and Keirnan are OsFTW. 

11 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

What’s the difference between square sausage (lorne) and steak slice? I was in a roll shop in Glasgow and asked for a roll and square sausage with onions, and she shouted to ask wether I wanted lorne or steak slice. It’s rare to hear anyone in Glasgow call it lorne apart from the butchers, but steak slice was a new one on me. It didn’t look or taste any different to a square sausage as far as I could tell. 

50p more and slightly different type of shitey "recovered meat".

Tasty though, mmmmmh !