The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m guessing we have a good few trialists at training just now. Probably having a good look at them

Strong French contingent at training I believe, led by Ludovic Erhard.

48 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

At the very least, some defensive cover is needed.

It would be absolute madness to go into another season with no proper defensive cover on the left hand side.

I think/ hope we're looking at signing another couple for ourselves, and then bringing in another 1/2 on loan in August. We need another striking option, some defensive cover and a central midfielder who has a bit of aggression about them to break things up. Although we have plenty of options in the centre of the park, we have no aggression/ dig in there to break things up.

It would be absolute madness to go into another season with no proper defensive cover on the left hand side.

2 whole years of people saying this, a league title and a promotion play off place a whole point off the best part time team in the country. Maybe it would be a good idea, but ‘absolute madness’ maybe a bit dramatic [emoji23]

Think Gold does just fine there

I think/ hope we're looking at signing another couple for ourselves, and then bringing in another 1/2 on loan in August. We need another striking option, some defensive cover and a central midfielder who has a bit of aggression about them to break things up. Although we have plenty of options in the centre of the park, we have no aggression/ dig in there to break things up.

Dylan Carriero as well.

Wonder if gary phillips is on trial with us this year

Someone like him would be decent actually, but even then he wasn’t happy to sit on the bench.

Problem is you can’t really specifically look to a certain position and say you need back up there unless the guy is able to play a few positions so they can get more game time.

If you’re trying to sign a left back the player would look at the team and see that we have Hamilton, who will always play if he’s fit and he is rarely if ever injured.

They’d be signing to sit on their arse all year. You might have a few guys who are keen to do that but I’m really not sure they’d be any better than the cover we have there at the moment.. I’d rather see the budget used for more attacking positions because the defence will stay steady and the same all year barring injuries and suspensions. The midfield and forward positions can be changed week to week depending on form.

If the worst happens and someone gets a serious injury then maybe look to a loan. Probably need another versatile player like Yule who can slot in at the back from time to time.

Hodge was great for this and Gold is a great player to have for this reason too.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely going to sign more players? Will we not only have 16 when Hester goes out on loan, 1 sub keeper and 4 subs every week? Surely be wanting 4 strikers regardless of how Doris is.

Hill
Jamieson

Thomson
ToB
Little
Hamilton

Whatley
Swanks
Gold
McCord
McKenna
Kader
Denholm
Linn

Wallace
Hester
Doris

Notice no Blair Yule there, hopefully he stays as he still our player (any word if he has been at training?)  if he does go surely we will replace him.

IMG_7820.thumb.jpg.89e01458683f678912f921a7937060f6.jpg

Looks like Nat Wedderburn, ex Dunfermline ICT and Cowden midfielder is training with us. Sure that is Doris to his left as well. Can’t see Yule in that photo unless I’ve missed him.

ETA-Think it’s actually TOB rather than Doris, thought Thomson was TOB

Nat could potentially be an excellent signing for a League One side. He’s immensely strong, safe enough on the ball and is good at breaking up play.

His downfall is being pretty slow but if he plays alongside a more mobile, attack-minded midfielder then you’d have a very effective player on your hands.

You might even be lucky enough to see him #wedderturn c***s anaw.