The Arbroath Thread

We’d need to wait and see what the squads are like first. We were 17 points behind Ayr United so in essence a long way back.

id personally take top 4 again and hopefully this years experience of the play offs would stand us in good stead, that said we’d likely face a full time team if we finished 4th. 

To win the league outright will be really difficult given how competitive the league actually is. If we sign a combative midfielder and another striker I would certainly think we could be up there challenging, we’d need Raith (who will be huge favourites to get off to a poor start)

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

we’d need Raith (who will be huge favourites to get off to a poor start)

We're notorious for starting the season well, even when we were in the Championship. It's the 'clocks going back' period where we invariably end up being dug shite.

Play offs again I’d say.

I think with Thomson and Jamieson signed we will be a lot steadier at the back and maybe be a bit more consistent. Be able to grind out a few more points.

Winning any league is a massive ask, I would just see a potential challenge as a massive bonus. 4th or above has to be the aim.

42 minutes ago, Arbroath36.0! said:

Keep calm fellow Arbroath pat scullion signing tonight boys spoke to him this morning meeting dick campbell at taza for buffet meal, dick said he will getting used as the deek Holmes role...

Really hope this isn't true, I would be furious if we put Big Pat on the bench like we did with Holmer, he should be starting every week for us.

Would accept nothing less than playoffs this season. Being in the mix for the title would be a bonus. Will need to start turning Gayfield back into some sort of fortress.

Never been a fortress, but we do play better away from home, appears to me

I know it's the same for most teams, but I think the players feel far more pressure playing at home. In the vast majority of our home games, if we're not 1 up after half an hour half the fans seem to get on the players backs, and you can see the pressure beginning to build and nerves kicking in, especially into the second half where every attack that breaks down/ everytime sometime tries to take a man on/ someone tries a pass to unlock the defence and it goes wrong is met with grumbles and shouts of discontent.

As I said - I know it's the same at almost all grounds across Scotland, but it really seems to effect us.

Never been a fortress, but we do play better away from home, appears to me

Im sure I remember us being really solid at home back in the brownlie years taking a lot of points off bigger teams at home, that was an awfully long time ago now though

Back to hopes for the season. Last time we won the bottom division and got to the playoffs the year after only to be beaten by Dumbarton... we finished 5th the year after that and bottom the next year. A repeat of that to be avoided at all costs.

Given the fairly unique (windy) conditions at Gayfield our players should have an advantage at being able to cope with and against the wind. It’s not conducive to good football, but it’s OUR crap conditions.

I don’t think you get used to it rather it just turns some games into a bit of a lottery.

On 06/06/2018 at 12:58, Arbroath36.0! said:

Keep calm fellow Arbroath pat scullion signing tonight boys spoke to him this morning meeting dick campbell at taza for buffet meal, dick said he will getting used as the deek Holmes role...

Are they still eating or has something been decided , perhaps the pudding was late

Are they still eating or has something been decided , perhaps the pudding was late

They have moved on to the Bell Rock Buffet, Pat was keen to try out the Big Foot sausage seeing as that is what he will be paid in.

2 hours ago, ahfpjim said:

Don't know about the pudding being late but has anybody spotted dick since???????