The Arbroath Thread

Great news on stevie d signing on. I think they will use extreme caution bringing him back. Plenty of players with that injury come back early and it can finish them. Jamieson seems to be highly sought after and unless he gets a bad injury im happy with hilly as no2

Would really like to see Jason Thompson be our next signing. Always thought he was good when we played against Raith.

A backup defender to can play left back and centre back would be a good addition to our defenders. A centre mid, winger and striker would complete our signings in my opinion. As we have Wallace, Hester, McKenna and Doris signed maybe we will go down the loan route for a striker.

He's a solid signing, and should still offer enough for you guys. He used to be excellent as he'd constantly overlap a winger, so he'd offer a good presence going forward.  Sadly, over the last couple of seasons he has lapsed defensively. Scored a barrowload of goals last season which masked that. It'll be weird seeing him in a strip other than our own. Interestingly, that's Arbroath had both of our two right backs from the last 10 years (the other being a younger - and not shit at the time) Craig Wilson. 

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He's a solid signing, and should still offer enough for you guys. He used to be excellent as he'd constantly overlap a winger, so he'd offer a good presence going forward.  Sadly, over the last couple of seasons he has lapsed defensively. Scored a barrowload of goals last season which masked that. It'll be weird seeing him in a strip other than our own. Interestingly, that's Arbroath had both of our two right backs from the last 10 years (the other being a younger - and not shit at the time) Craig Wilson. 

He was never brilliant defensively to be fair. I think it's less that he's lapped defensively but more that he's not getting forward as much, so we all notice the defensive side of his game more. Can't emphasis enough what a great pairing he was with Anderson - a touchline hugging winger who was willing to cover his full back.  Now though, Thomson's pace isn't quite there though he's still a willing runner.  Not a great first touch either. Tall enough to deputise at centre back if need be, though it does make viewing unnecessarily exciting. Good guy and all round hard worker, but not really at his peak anymore.

Solid player at this level but not good enough for full time football anymore so right move for him.

Maybe not.

But you’re at this level too, so he’s clearly good enough for one full time football team. [emoji6]

Only 30 years old. I’m not sure who’ll be playing RB for Raith this season but I’m really not sure he’ll be better than Thomson. And you’d expect Raith to have the better players in the league so if it happens it’s a really good signing for us.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Solid player at this level but not good enough for full time football anymore so right move for him.

Has a dreadful first touch tho and his throw ins are horrific.

The number of times we've had a break down the right and he then takes a touch where he either knocked it out or struggles to control it is ridiculous. 

That's a really good point about Grant Anderson offering Thomson protection down the years.

As much as I do think that Thomson's injuries have set him back a notch or two, it may also be that he's been less inclined to get forward as he's had less faith in the guy in front of him since Anderson left.

On paper it looks like a really good signing, but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on next year if you persist with three centre-halves and are relying on him to give you width.

That's a really good point about Grant Anderson offering Thomson protection down the years.
As much as I do think that Thomson's injuries have set him back a notch or two, it may also be that he's been less inclined to get forward as he's had less faith in the guy in front of him since Anderson left.
On paper it looks like a really good signing, but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on next year if you persist with three centre-halves and are relying on him to give you width.

I have a feeling, if he signs, he’ll come into team for Scott Martin and we will go back to a 4-4-2.

Jason Thomson
Ricky Little
Tam O’Brien
Colin Hamilton

As a back 4.

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe not.

But you’re at this level too, so he’s clearly good enough for one full time football team. emoji6.png

Only 30 years old. I’m not sure who’ll be playing RB for Raith this season but I’m really not sure he’ll be better than Thomson. And you’d expect Raith to have the better players in the league so if it happens it’s a really good signing for us.

I think the point is, that given our trajectory since 2016, we really do need better than Thomson. Like I said before he's done a lot of great work for us over the years, and re-signing him is an easy out for any manager: One of those guys you just want around for their personality and work rate if nothing else, McGlynn built his teams based on willing runners and general guid c***s after all.  

I seen somewhere,someone posted,Scott Robertson maybe joining from Raith.Working with Dundee United during the week playing for Arbroath on a Saturday.

Happy with Thomson, Hopefully he is here to play in a back 4,  Although I still think we will start with back 3.

If we are going to a back 4 do we really need another midfielder like Roberson? Didn’t look up to much against us and doesn’t really have legs and dig like Martin did.