The Arbroath Thread

Can always hope we are home to Utd & it gets televised again. That could help give the manager some funds for another big money summer signing!
Personally, I think it would've been nice to have got a couple of sides who we haven't had the pleasure of playing against in recent years.
I think in the group stages TV money is split between all clubs so no advantage of being televised.

2 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Same strips for this season?

I'm hoping for maroon & white, just like every season since 1882. Traditional & boring, I know, but I don't really understand these modern colours like taupe, greige & ecru. 

Maybe Dick will surprise us and go for burgandy & alabaster.

11 hours ago, stan3600 said:

How does the money work? Home team keeps all or split 50/50?

Cup games have never been split 50/50 in my lifetime as far as I'm aware; I'm sure it's roughly split 63/37 with home team obviously picking up costs of stewarding etc.

People had been telling me for the last few weeks Darren Hill was signing and I assumed it was a joke and laughed accordingly.

Then I find out we've actually, genuinely signed Darren Hill. Fairly comical stuff all round really :lol:

Can only assume Dick wants to go with 1 keeper wage instead of 2 (Hill/ Jamieson combo surely on less than Gomes/ Hutton combo) and use the saved wages to add to what we have outfield. If that is the case then fair enough in my opinion, with the saving on having two keepers competing and Pongo's wage off the books also it gives us a chance to add 2/3 outfield who could be first team regulars.

I don't really mind if we don't announce another signing for 2/3 weeks or so; the players we're going for are top end League 1 players and will have offers from a variety of clubs and therefore take their time to weigh things up. I'd be more concerned in 2/3 weeks if we'd signed up 3/4 standard players as opposed to holding off to get a bit of quality in. Even if we had the squad we have currently at the start of July with no additions it'd hardly be a massive cause for concern.

We already have a squad of 15 and I think we need a right/ left back, a central midfielder, a winger and a striker added to that definitely. Also Steven Doris is not included in any of this, and I would hope/ assume he will still be with the club next year.

Whatever we do, for the love of God, can we please sign a backup/ cover left sided defender which we have needed for over a year now......

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

We already have a squad of 15 and I think we need a right/ left back, a central midfielder, a winger and a striker added to that definitely. Also Steven Doris is not included in any of this, and I would hope/ assume he will still be with the club next year.

Have just seen we've announced he's signed a new deal a few minutes before I posted this :lol: Squad of 16 then, definitely want to see us add a couple of quality additions in the right areas, no need for us to be signing bench players in any position apart from the aforementioned left back area....

25 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Have just seen we've announced he's signed a new deal a few minutes before I posted this :lol: Squad of 16 then, definitely want to see us add a couple of quality additions in the right areas, no need for us to be signing bench players in any position apart from the aforementioned left back area....

That is excellent news. If he can get back to the form he showed then that would be great. Almost like having a new signing when he returns back from injury.

Very happy about Doris, assumed he would anyway I don’t think it would be right for him to end his time here on that note. Hopefully still in for Spence too though.

Think Thomson would be a cracking signing. Back to a back 4 and give Ricky some help in the air at that side, just need to look at the Dumbarton goals.

Hill probably won’t play a minute and will be a fine number 2. Douglas sat on our bench and we’ve even had the guy Ryan Stewart at times too I think whilst Ricky was injured so he’ll be more competent than them. Would be fun to see him trying to keep up in pre season though.

Would probably agree with Simon in that there is no point in having 2 goalies on big wages when one is going to play a handful of games max. Jamieson must be decent given his pedigree and I presume we have done our homework on him.

left sided defender, a midfielder to replace Martin and another option up front and I’d be happy. 

Darren Hill has made 191 appearances for the Lichties in which I believe 103 of those were consecutive games.
Seems like quite a few players enjoy coming back to Costa del Gayfield!!

Probably just happy to get a deal off someone

I don’t expect to see Doris until probably around September

Optimistic, heard he will not start training until the end of August at the earliest

On Hill I remember seeing his debut at Gayfield for Forfar and he looked done, is John Ritchie away and Darren doing a bit of coaching?

If Jamieson got injured I’d assume we’d go down the emergency loan route rather than play Hill
I would expect that too. Hill is pretty dire now, looked absolutely finished in his second stint with us.
No presence at all during corners, crosses or free kicks.