The Arbroath Thread

50 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Bobby has been our most dangerous player in 2018. Really hope he signs on for at least another year. Great player to have in the team and one that gives 100% every week.

Spot on again, really cannot understand this codswallop paragraphs about Bobby leaving/getting punted/fall out/treated badly nonsense?

First and foremost he is a great player and had/is a great servant to the Red Lichties and imo without doubt regardless what league we are in he still would be in my squad.

As for Pongo his goals per game from midfield/fake striker are superb, add to that his countless assists and pure class would have me trying to get him fit and signed again, if for whatever reason Pongo is not doing what he should be (in terms of training) then that is a separate matter and if he does leave then i would hope the fans were given the reasons why but i really hope this does not happen. 

Isn't this all just about squad rotation? You don't get a game it rests you, makes you hungry, keeps you wanting. There has been lots of comments about us having a good overall squad and with that some players/fans will be dissatisfied when 'x' doesn't get a game. The two go together.

Just to throw a wee question in here...
I've been reading most of this thread the majority of the season.... If Arbroath were to win the playoffs this year, do you still think Linn should get another year? Who in the team would be capable of making the (far bigger) step up to the championship??
No alterior (sp?) motive for asking, just interested.

29 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Just to throw a wee question in here...
I've been reading most of this thread the majority of the season.... If Arbroath were to win the playoffs this year, do you still think Linn should get another year? Who in the team would be capable of making the (far bigger) step up to the championship??
No alterior (sp?) motive for asking, just interested.

I think if he didn't get another year in the division above, you'd have to argue virtually no-one should be kept on. He's as good as anything else we've got in our squad in my opinion. As it is we have a basis of about a dozen players who are all about the same level (and Tam O'Brien who is fucking sensational and who I genuinely believe could player lower end Premiership). If we went up, because you really can't rebuild and sign a new squad of 20 we'd have to be looking to keep 10/12 of what we have and add to them. Regardless of if we went up or not I think that's probably the plan.

Apparently Pink said in the paper (didn't see it myself, can someone confirm this is the case?) that we have 11 players signed up for next year. The definites we know are:

Ricky Little

Tam O'Brien

Gavin Swankie

Danny Denholm

Blair Yule

Ryan Wallace

Michael McKenna

If Pink did say we've got 11 signed, it's odd that we've not announced the other 4 when they signed extensions like we did with Ricky Little. Anyone any idea who they are?

I think if he didn't get another year in the division above, you'd have to argue virtually no-one should be kept on. He's as good as anything else we've got in our squad in my opinion. As it is we have a basis of about a dozen players who are all about the same level (and Tam O'Brien who is fucking sensational and who I genuinely believe could player lower end Premiership). If we went up, because you really can't rebuild and sign a new squad of 20 we'd have to be looking to keep 10/12 of what we have and add to them. Regardless of if we went up or not I think that's probably the plan.
Apparently Pink said in the paper (didn't see it myself, can someone confirm this is the case?) that we have 11 players signed up for next year. The definites we know are:
Ricky Little
Tam O'Brien
Gavin Swankie
Danny Denholm
Blair Yule
Ryan Wallace
Michael McKenna
If Pink did say we've got 11 signed, it's odd that we've not announced the other 4 when they signed extensions like we did with Ricky Little. Anyone any idea who they are?

Pink said that we have 11 signed up at hospitality last month. Not sure if it was in the paper.

I think of the players we do signed up every one would be able to do a job in the Championship too. For what we’d be anyway, a team fighting about the bottom of the league.

Also believe ToB could easily be playing top half of the Championship just now. If we could maybe keep Scott Martin for a season too he’d be a good player at that level, might be able to take him back from Hibs if we can guarantee Championship football every week for him who knows but he looks destined for the Prem one day for me.

If we went up our summer business would be really interesting I think. DC isn’t one to go up and not give it a right good go, plenty of contacts too. Hopefully be able to get a few really good loans similar to Martin to boost the squad along with the players we’ve already got.

I think of the players we do signed up every one would be able to do a job in the Championship too. For what we’d be anyway, a team fighting about the bottom of the league.

Also believe ToB could easily be playing top half of the Championship just now. If we could maybe keep Scott Martin for a season too he’d be a good player at that level, might be able to take him back from Hibs if we can guarantee Championship football every week for him who knows but he looks destined for the Prem one day for me.

If we went up our summer business would be really interesting I think. DC isn’t one to go up and not give it a right good go, plenty of contacts too. Hopefully be able to get a few really good loans similar to Martin to boost the squad along with the players we’ve already got.

I don’t know your team as well as you do obviously but the championship is a huge step up. Of our current starting side, if we were to get promoted, I would only definitely want Geggan (RB), McDaid, Crawford and Shankland as definite starters. Docherty, Higgins, and Moffat potentially.

I don’t know your team as well as you do obviously but the championship is a huge step up. Of our current starting side, if we were to get promoted, I would only definitely want Geggan (RB), McDaid, Crawford and Shankland as definite starters. Docherty, Higgins, and Moffat potentially.

I know it is. But we obviously have very different budgets and aims. Of the part time players we do have signed and on the books well not get much better than them for our potential championship squad.

Whether that’s good enough or not obviously remains to be seen but my point is more that well not be able to get much better than guys like Denholm, Wallace, ToB, Little, Hammy etc for the budget we will have. If we could supplement these guys with a few really good loans or signings we could potentially do a Dumbarton and have enough to atleast be competitive.

If we went up though we’d be the only part time team in the league so we would probably be doomed anyway. But if we went up and gave it a decent shot most of our fans would be very content with that.

I don’t think we will go up, but if we can build for next season it could be very interesting if both Ayr and Raith went up and left League 1 as a bit of a free for all.

1 hour ago, Devits said:

Pink said that we have 11 signed up at hospitality last month. Not sure if it was in the paper.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Did it sound like he meant from the current squad signed up for next year, or just signed up regardless of where they're currently playing? Could be that the 'missing 4' are actually with other clubs currently and have signed pre contracts? It could also be the case that we don't have 11 signed up of course.

If not - it looks like we have 4 of the following signed:

Ricky Gomes

Mark Whatley

Colin Hamilton

Omar Kader

Leighton McIntosh

Josh Skelly

David Hutton

Obviously Pongo and Bobby Linn are not signed up for next year, so realistically you'd be thinking we may have one of our keepers signed, Mark Whatley, Colin Hamilton and maybe Omar also if the missing 4 are all from within our current squad.

The real question of course is how many of the guys we have signed up are school teachers???

If we go up it could be very interesting if we had both the Dundee clubs, would rake in a couple of big pay days. If we stay down we could have all 4 Angus clubs in the league. Next season looks pretty exciting regardless but I’ll enjoy this one whilst it lasts.

Must be quite tricky when planning next season when you don’t know what league you are going to be in. Firstly, there is a big jump in quality needed if we were planning to do a Dumbarton and stay up for a few seasons, secondly I’d imagine there would be a difference in our budget also.

FWIW, I’d keep most of our squad but I’d imagine whatever league we would be in we will add 3-5 players so enivitably players will move on. 

It’s good to be confident but let’s get this season over with before we start talking about the championship,  Anything can happen in football, had a great season so far, hopefully that continues, 

I can’t see why Linn won’t be at Arbroath next season, seems to love the club and fans,  Dicks made some strange decisions but you would say when fit he is one of first names on team sheet,  

Tough game on Saturday, Wallace needs a goal to kick on, if not he is in danger of being dropped, Hopefully the wind machine isn’t on and we take the 3 points 

8 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Dicks made some strange decisions but you would say when fit he is one of first names on team sheet, 

This simply isn't true. When injured, he was one of the first names on the team sheet, see a large chunk of 2017. When fit, like the whole of this calendar year, he drops in and out of the side regardless of his form or the form of those replacing him.

Fair enough if people think he should be dropping out/ not playing, I think the majority would disagree but everyone is entitled to their opinion of him as a player. I know a few people who think Omar is a better choice than him, I totally disagree but that's their opinion based on what they've seen on the pitch and that's totally fine. In terms of 'injuries', it's not about opinion, it's about fact.

Edited by SimonLichtie