The Arbroath Thread

Think it's one of those times when you benefit from the players available locally, great team management or perhaps Shite opposition? I'd imagine a mix of everything?

I only ask as I miss a day out to Arbroath and wee Josh is a common hero. [emoji7]

You guys seem to be thriving in League one, Dick working things out so far?

Where we are at the moment is 100 percent where we should be as a club to be fair.

In and around the promotion play offs in League One. Hopefully we can sustain it and avoid any horror seasons that have gotten us into trouble and in to the league below in the past.

Gav is still a class act and as others have said him and Doris work well together, would rather he was in my team/squad than against us - end of.

I kind of agree but he's not shown his class yet to be fair. That's why this discussion is happening.

Doesn't look fully fit to me. Sort of think that's why he's been kept on at times like Saturday and Albion Rovers at home.

15 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Gav is still a class act and as others have said him and Doris work well together, would rather he was in my team/squad than against us - end of.

Aye, but the question is where would you play him? Up top in a 4-4-2 with Stevie Doris? Behind Doris in a 4-4-1-1? If Gav played either of these positions, Pongo would have to drop out of the side. Do we drop probably our most creative player who also scores a number of goals to accommodate Gav, or do we play Gav in a position that doesn't suit him just to get him on the park?

It's a game of opinions, and my opinion is that we simply can't leave Pongo out of the side - and when Pongo plays he can't play in a midfield 2, so has to play a wee bit further up the park. This leaves us playing Gav in positions that don't suit him, or having him on the bench as utility option to come on. Obviously we won't have our strongest 11 available every week, but if we did then where would you play Gav, and who would drop out as a result?

7 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Aye, but the question is where would you play him? Up top in a 4-4-2 with Stevie Doris? Behind Doris in a 4-4-1-1? If Gav played either of these positions, Pongo would have to drop out of the side. Do we drop probably our most creative player who also scores a number of goals to accommodate Gav, or do we play Gav in a position that doesn't suit him just to get him on the park?

It's a game of opinions, and my opinion is that we simply can't leave Pongo out of the side - and when Pongo plays he can't play in a midfield 2, so has to play a wee bit further up the park. This leaves us playing Gav in positions that don't suit him, or having him on the bench as utility option to come on. Obviously we won't have our strongest 11 available every week, but if we did then where would you play Gav, and who would drop out as a result?

Hard to disagree with this Simon, at the moment you cannot drop Pongo and 4-4-1-1 seems to suit us so probably at the moment Gav will have to be content with a place on the bench.

Still think Gav has a large part to play for us this season and with the starting XI settled (less Doris) at the moment it is hard to make a case for him to start but with him/Prunts/Skelly/Hester/Henry on the bench (and Gomes/Rab) and Doris injured it shows you we have a very good squad/bench.

McCord is hardly Paul Scholes, he's been a bit hot and cold so far this season, I get that when he is hot there is not many better attacking midfielders. 

His lack of fitness really told last week and theres an argument that he wouldn't start in a game like that.

McCord is hardly Paul Scholes, he's been a bit hot and cold so far this season, I get that when he is hot there is not many better attacking midfielders. 
His lack of fitness really told last week and theres an argument that he wouldn't start in a game like that.

He IS Paul Scholes, just a lot fatter. That 7th goal. [emoji15]