The Arbroath Thread

why today didn’t dc start with swankie up top with denholm out wide surely with omar missing that was the thing to do

Nah disagree. Denholms pace got us up the park and he made their centre halves make mistakes. They would've had the easiest job in the world playing against Swankie and McCord central, atleast with Swankie out wide he could come inside and have Hammy over lapping.

Swanks and McCord both are their best in the same position, and of the 2 of them think McCord should be getting the nod just now.

mate davidson had the cigars out against danny today. denholm cant play against good centre halves. his game is running at players outwide and when he dose that great player but as a hold up physical player in this league not a chance

And do you think Swankie would be a player that could hold it up and be physical?

Denholm had a really good game, certainly offered more up there than Swankie would have. Like I said he got us up the pitch so much especially at the start of the game.

Denholms been great upfront.

Swankie isn't a centre forward for me now either he needs to play in a deeper role, think he'd be terrible upfront by himself. Need to put an incredible shift in doing that. And he hasn't offered any real talent so far, I'm a massive fan of him too.

Does swankie get a game to justify the fee we paid for him?  If all players were fit I wouldn’t have him starting,  Denholm has done fantastic up top, but we need Doris back,  

Fully agree ToB has been outstanding, Also think Goldie has had a great season, what a find at full back he has been and must be one of the first on team sheet, 

Few negatives today, ........              Zonal marking at corners is a no no, few boys need to step it up, Whatley swankie, and maybe a bit harsh on time played but Skelly too....

Today’s game was just one to many on our unbelievable away run, was always going to be tough, We had a wee spell at start of Game but Raith were 1 step to much, but if we get our strongest 11 playing regular and up our home form we will be well in contention for a play offs, 

First quarter of the season over, so far we’ve got 14 points. Say we should recreate that form over the rest of the season, we’ll end up with 56 points which last season would’ve seen us finish 3rd. 3rd place in this league is definitely within reach for us. Hopefully our away form continues despite our run ending yesterday, and if we could sort out our home record it’d definitely make things easier. We didn’t play badly at all yesterday so hopefully we aren’t too down after the loss and can start sorting our home form next week against Airdrie.

Watched some of Airdries highlights the last few weeks. Guy Furtado is a player. Alloa also have guys like Cawley and Cook who are good players.

Only 2 poor teams look like QP and Forfar, this leagues a big step up from L2 imo, every week is a tough game.

Have a feeling we will skelp Berwick in the cup game. We're a much improved team from last year, the difference Yule, ToB and Danny Denholm have made to us is incredible.

swanks was brought in to play behind doris upfront.the game against ayr was a prime example how they can play together with doris setting him up twice when he should of scored on both occasions.at the moment i dont really know where he fits in but personally would start him in behind denholm if we play 4 4 2. performance wise i would say 6-10 would of been slightly higher if our home form was better. 1st bite simon lol

Swanks can only play where McCord does, or deeper in games we have a lot of the ball. So at the moment with McCords form, he should not be starting.

McCord can only seem to last 60 odd minutes (really needs to work at that) so Swankie coming on for him around that time seems like the right thing to do.

He shouldn't be played out wide though or as our furthest forward player. If he plays it should be in the middle 3 positions.

I still think he will come good, missed a lot of pre season. Has had flashes of quality in games but overall in any game he's not had a good good performance yet.

In my opinion.

56 minutes ago, Big lichtie said:

swanks was brought in to play behind doris upfront.the game against ayr was a prime example how they can play together with doris setting him up twice when he should of scored on both occasions.at the moment i dont really know where he fits in but personally would start him in behind denholm if we play 4 4 2. performance wise i would say 6-10 would of been slightly higher if our home form was better. 1st bite simon lol

Agree with this, but would say performance wise only away to Ayr have things clicked so far. We've tried Gav in several roles, and ultimately his best position is where Pongo plays, and based on this calander year Pongo has to be starting ahead of him currently. Obviously it's hard with Doris being out as it changes the way we play, and makes him and Gav forming any sort of partnership impossible.

42 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Swanks can only play where McCord does, or deeper in games we have a lot of the ball. So at the moment with McCords form, he should not be starting.

McCord can only seem to last 60 odd minutes (really needs to work at that) so Swankie coming on for him around that time seems like the right thing to do.

He shouldn't be played out wide though or as our furthest forward player. If he plays it should be in the middle 3 positions.

I still think he will come good, missed a lot of pre season. Has had flashes of quality in games but overall in any game he's not had a good good performance yet.

In my opinion.

I agree with every word of this :o It's only taken 28,436 posts but finally you've made one I completely agree with :lol:;) 

I disagree with anyone who would say Gav is finished, he's obviously still a very talented footballer, but he's in a position where I feel the team has to fit him, and we're in a position where we simply can't be changing the team about to fit around Gav. This results in Gav either taking a place on the bench, as a great option to bring on, or being shifted into positions which simply don't suit him. I don't blame him for struggling on the wing against Raith, the same way I wouldn't blame David Hutton for not doing a job in a lone striker role.

If we think back to the game where we drew at Forfar at the tail end of last season, I though he was by quite some distance the best player on the pitch, everytime he got on the ball or moved into space I thought we were done for.   He quite clearly can still turn it on and expect him to come good at some point, he hasn't really played many full games as yet.

I would say he can still fit in either playing off the front in the number 10 or straight up top as a striker.  He can still do a job out wide but once Kader and Doris are back we have far better options.