The Arbroath Thread

Also should add I have nothing against Gary Fraser and obviously hope he does the business for us; it's solely a case of the circumstances that have ended up with him signing an 'emergency' loan on the 15th of September for us makes us seem so fucking tinpot it's unbelievable.

4 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Also should add I have nothing against Gary Fraser and obviously hope he does the business for us; it's solely a case of the circumstances that have ended up with him signing an 'emergency' loan on the 15th of September for us makes us seem so fucking tinpot it's unbelievable.

We've got 3 strikers out injured we're not Real Madrid with a 40 man squad so don't see why you are up at 4am losing sleep over us getting in a loanee striker to tide us over, a totally OTT  reaction in my more relaxed humble opinion ^_^.

Simon, you said it was "incredible" that we don't have cover given our injuries we then go out and get cover on loan and you're now saying we are a laughing stock 

it's actually you that's becoming a laughing stock 

[emoji23]

It's absolutely bizarre isn't it.

A squad of 18 isn't too bad at this level by the way. I imagine that most clubs have around the same, and if not they've maybe got 1 or 2 more at most. Any team at this level would be struggling with 4 players out especially all near enough in the same position.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Simon, you said it was "incredible" that we don't have cover given our injuries we then go out and get cover on loan and you're now saying we are a laughing stock 

it's actually you that's becoming a laughing stock 

:lol: 

How do you think Gav will play today? :)

I have to agree with Simon regarding the signing of Gary Fraser, hopefully it IS just short term, because contrary to Smokerson I don't remember him running us ragged that often and wondering why he was said to be a signing target after a 0-0 draw at Gayfield last year.  Couldn't we have done better in the loan stakes?

I suppose Hester will be on the bench again to make way for Fraser in the starting line up, just hope he can justify his place if he does start.

What's the story about Swankie starting or not?  Is there any reason why he shouldn't play, other than the fact of how bad he was last week?

3 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

What's the story about Swankie starting or not?  Is there any reason why he shouldn't play, other than the fact of how bad he was last week?

From what I have heard, Gav will not be available for any games against Forfar this season. It appears we were SO desperate to sign him that we agreed to pay 8 grand for him, give him a bloody good wage and agree with Forfar that although he is a signed AFC player we wouldn't play him against them this season.

If true, and I'm fairly certain it is although we won't find out until this afternoon, it is an absolutely incredible piece of business on our part, and the deal of the century from Forfar's point of view. Hence my 'laughing stock' comments. If true, it is frankly quite unbelievable and raises a few questions.

From what I have heard, Gav will not be available for any games against Forfar this season. It appears we were SO desperate to sign him that we agreed to pay 8 grand for him, give him a bloody good wage and agree with Forfar that although he is a signed AFC player we wouldn't play him against them this season. If true, and I'm fairly certain it is although we won't find out until this afternoon, it is an absolutely incredible piece of business on our part, and the deal of the century from Forfar's point of view. Hence my 'laughing stock' comments. If true, it is frankly quite unbelievable and raises a few questions.

We didn't pay for him, though...

Alternatively

Forfar wouldn't accept 8k unless we agreed to that, we didn't think it would be that big a deal as nobody could of foreseen the fact we'd have 4 boys crocked in the same area of the park

And on what's happened since Ayr, we looked comfortable and the better team until our star striker looks like he's had a career threatening injury, leading to the players heads going up their arses and an Albion Rovers win. Said striker joins a group of another 3 crocked attackers leaving us short for a month so we get a loan

Big deal, what's up with the drama???

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Forfar wouldn't accept 8k unless we agreed to that

Yes - and at this point we should have told Forfar to GTF and looked at other options and tried to sign a player who was actually available to play in all 36 league games unless injury prevented this being the case - like EVERY other player at every club in the league.

It's quite incredible to me that anyone would try to defend this deal - if true. It would be a huge f**k up on our part, regardless of injuries and I simply can't believe we would agree to such a ridiculous thing.

Yes - and at this point we should have told Forfar to GTF and looked at other options and tried to sign a player who was actually available to play in all 36 league games unless injury prevented this being the case - like EVERY other player at every club in the league. It's quite incredible to me that anyone would try to defend this deal - if true. It would be a huge f**k up on our part, regardless of injuries and I simply can't believe we would agree to such a ridiculous thing.

Other options? The person putting that money in wouldn't have done it for anyone else??????

I'll agree that it is a bit shit.

But you're being an absolute drama queen, chill ooot. [emoji23]

To be fair it does come across as quite unprofessional, this along with physiogate doesn't exactly make the club look great. The first aim this season is to consolidate our position in this division so surely if we're going to pay for a player, you'd at least want them playing in games we need to be picking results up in.

To be fair it does come across as quite unprofessional, this along with physiogate doesn't exactly make the club look great. The first aim this season is to consolidate our position in this division so surely if we're going to pay for a player, you'd at least want them playing in games we need to be picking results up in.

I'm pretty sure Forfar would've loved to have won the league last year and had Denholm and ToB on the books for the sake of a physio being on holiday for one game.

Sure Montrose would actually just love to not be in the basement league for once never mind actually winning the league, sure they'd have loved to pump us 4-0 in the cup too.

But we're the tinpot Angus club, even though we've been much more successful than both Montrose and Forfar the last year and are in a better position than both currently and raided Forfar of their star players.... were the tinpot club cause our physio was on holiday for a game and we signed a striker on loan cause 4 of ours are injured. [emoji23]

I was gonna save my opinions until post match; but regardless of tomorrows game I feel a few things have come to light this week which makes us seem like a bit of a laughing stock to be honest.

We shouldn't be in a situation where we can't play our 'best player' against our local rivals due to a 'gentleman's agreement' and we certainly shouldn't be signing Montrose's fourth choice striker on an emergency loan (and emergency is the correct term here) the day before a very important game against one of our Angus rivals.

I'm not quite sure how we've gone from skudding Ayr away to the position we are in now in less than two weeks, but I am not very happy about the situation and I - wrongly - assumed that the years of being laughed at by our Angus rivals was a thing of the past (in the short term). Unfortunately I fear I may have been wrong.

I stick by my 4-5-1 with ToB up top for tomorrow.

We're in a really good position as a club at the moment (just won the league, doing ok in League above, year away from home unbeaten, community stuff and social media stuff been taken to another level) with some very good players on the books, the current circumstances aren't totally ideal with the injuries we've got and a few things haven't been perfect, but to start calling us tinpot and embarrassing right now is itself embarrassing. Get a grip.

A lot of hard works been put in by people at the club to get to this stage and when things get a little rocky you say this?

Understand that football fans mainly focus on the negatives but this is just ridiculous.

Our club is really well run from top to bottom imo and this group of players are the most exciting group of players we have had in a very long time. Campbell deserves credit for assembling them.

I did find the whole swankie thing a bit bizzare, but if our management team feel they wanted to buy him and throw in a gentlemanly agree not to play him then so be it, doesn't really bother me. Great team performance today, I guess there will always be whingers and glass half empty attitudes.